Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49393 times)

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2015, 11:20:37 PM »

Had a hard time listening the album top to bottom several times ... It annoys me pretty quickly ... It may be a good album in 2015 but I never lowered my standards regardless of the era ...

Game-Won

« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2015, 11:30:23 PM »
Its GAME TIME! - that songs get better and better.
"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe

Lucifuge

« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2015, 11:41:08 PM »
Music is for growns. Couple more spins. Def. Grower.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Sccit

« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2015, 12:30:04 AM »
It's a good album but I agree with those that are a disappointed. Compton isn't classic, it isn't game changing or "Next Level" like some are throwing around, it's good but Dre could have released a good album each year ever since he announced Detox, it needed to be better than good.

I honestly believe that if Straight Outta Compton wasn't coming out Dre's album wouldn't have came out either. The way I feel about it isn't that much different from the way I was feeling about his Detox leaks from before, cool, some better than others but not that instant classic, game changing shit that you'd expect from Dre, especially with the huge hype surrounding it. What they did was smart as fuck though, they marketed the shit out of it, like no other! From Dre saying that everything he was working on before was not good enough and now he's motivated, re-energized and confidant, blah, blah, blah... all that is just game and building up hype and a smart move. Do you really believe that in the last decade Dre never had 15 dope tracks to put out a proper album with??? Get the fuck outta here with that noise. What was missing was hype, buzz, a big machine driving the album to the status that a Dre album is expected to have, that's what Dre didn't have these past shitload of years when he was trying to put out an album. Finally working on something that he was feeling and that he believed was good enough, nah hell no, don't believe that shit for a minute, finally a perfect moment to release an album and make the most money out of it ABSOLUTELY! that was the motivation, finally a timely album to release.

The album may not have been the best decision musically, that's obvious from the mixed reviews and obvious let down from what the hype was leading us to believe, BUT IT WAS THE BEST FINANCIAL DECISION. No matter what type of music Dre put out and no matter if it would have been released 10 years ago, 5 years ago or if it would have been released next year, it wouldn't have mattered, there was no more perfect of a moment to release the album then right now in conjunction with the movie. You got the director, actors, featuring artist, Dre, Apple/i-Tunes, etc. all pushing the fuck outta the album, when else would this have happened? They kept it under wraps so there wouldn't be any mixed reviews before it actually dropped, they got the who's who of assholes talking about, "game over", "about to press the reset button on all the bullshit that you thought was dope", I know I aint quoting it right but you know what I'm sayin, all that hype everyone was throwing around. Most people believed that shit though, there's people all over this board talking about, "but he's finally motivated", "he wasn't feeling none of the music he had done before", "the movie inspired him", "the music is on another level", that's what the fuck they told you and wanted you to believe.

That's why i think the music isn't up to where it should be, if it wasn't for this perfect moment, Compton wouldn't have came out either. It is what it is and it aint what it aint. Brilliant marketing on their part, the best I've seen for any album and the music is good but not what it coulda/shoulda been.

what ur sayin is bs.....if dre didn't scrap detox because he wasn't feelin it, then why not just select 15 tracks he made over the last 15 years and put that out as an album with the "straight outa compton" release? clearly, all the stuff released was made within the past year, so yea, he did find a renewed energy and built offa that, which is why he felt comfortable puttin it out.

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2015, 01:11:46 AM »
I guess most people who are hating on the album are the ones who expected another west coast gangsta rap anthems and had great expectations for the album (not a bad thing of course).
Me, I wasn't expecting that much as i wasn't feeling Dre lately... Kush, I Need A Doctor, all the Detox leaks... my ears were bleeding everytime i heard these songs.
What is more i thought Dre will gonna come up with something different this time. Remember all these interviews where he was saying about his mysterious projects - plantes, soundtracks etc. It was obvious he want to to make something more complex, some kind of rap musical or however you wanna call it.
So again.. i wasn't expecting Chronic 2015 and maybe that's why i liked the album since the begining. With some exceptions most of the songs made great impact on me musically. Stand out tracks to me are:

Darkside/Gone
Loose Cannons
Deep Water
One Shot One Kill
For the Love of Money
Animals
Talking To My Diary

Is it a classic? Who can say that right now? We'll see.

By the way... is it only me who thinks that some of you cats are misunderstanding the concept of the album? Just because it says "soundtrack" it doesn't mean Dre made his soundtrack to the movie. I find it more like a soundtrack to Dre's career. An album that summarizes his whole career. And i think he had the right to make it sound the way he wanted. I might be wrong of course.

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2015, 01:30:20 AM »
I guess most people who are hating on the album are the ones who expected another west coast gangsta rap anthems and had great expectations for the album (not a bad thing of course).
Me, I wasn't expecting that much as i wasn't feeling Dre lately... Kush, I Need A Doctor, all the Detox leaks... my ears were bleeding everytime i heard these songs.
What is more i thought Dre will gonna come up with something different this time. Remember all these interviews where he was saying about his mysterious projects - plantes, soundtracks etc. It was obvious he want to to make something more complex, some kind of rap musical or however you wanna call it.
So again.. i wasn't expecting Chronic 2015 and maybe that's why i liked the album since the begining. With some exceptions most of the songs made great impact on me musically. Stand out tracks to me are:

Darkside/Gone
Loose Cannons
Deep Water
One Shot One Kill
For the Love of Money
Animals
Talking To My Diary

Is it a classic? Who can say that right now? We'll see.

By the way... is it only me who thinks that some of you cats are misunderstanding the concept of the album? Just because it says "soundtrack" it doesn't mean Dre made his soundtrack to the movie. I find it more like a soundtrack to Dre's career. An album that summarizes his whole career. And i think he had the right to make it sound the way he wanted. I might be wrong of course.

I didn't expect this ... I was expecting an "opera hip hop" type of sound , some epic music ... take the rap music to a next level and change the game for a third time .

Compton is different but different doesn't equal quality ...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:31:57 AM by wcsoldier »

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2015, 02:10:01 AM »
It's a good album but I agree with those that are a disappointed. Compton isn't classic, it isn't game changing or "Next Level" like some are throwing around, it's good but Dre could have released a good album each year ever since he announced Detox, it needed to be better than good.

I honestly believe that if Straight Outta Compton wasn't coming out Dre's album wouldn't have came out either. The way I feel about it isn't that much different from the way I was feeling about his Detox leaks from before, cool, some better than others but not that instant classic, game changing shit that you'd expect from Dre, especially with the huge hype surrounding it. What they did was smart as fuck though, they marketed the shit out of it, like no other! From Dre saying that everything he was working on before was not good enough and now he's motivated, re-energized and confidant, blah, blah, blah... all that is just game and building up hype and a smart move. Do you really believe that in the last decade Dre never had 15 dope tracks to put out a proper album with??? Get the fuck outta here with that noise. What was missing was hype, buzz, a big machine driving the album to the status that a Dre album is expected to have, that's what Dre didn't have these past shitload of years when he was trying to put out an album. Finally working on something that he was feeling and that he believed was good enough, nah hell no, don't believe that shit for a minute, finally a perfect moment to release an album and make the most money out of it ABSOLUTELY! that was the motivation, finally a timely album to release.

The album may not have been the best decision musically, that's obvious from the mixed reviews and obvious let down from what the hype was leading us to believe, BUT IT WAS THE BEST FINANCIAL DECISION. No matter what type of music Dre put out and no matter if it would have been released 10 years ago, 5 years ago or if it would have been released next year, it wouldn't have mattered, there was no more perfect of a moment to release the album then right now in conjunction with the movie. You got the director, actors, featuring artist, Dre, Apple/i-Tunes, etc. all pushing the fuck outta the album, when else would this have happened? They kept it under wraps so there wouldn't be any mixed reviews before it actually dropped, they got the who's who of assholes talking about, "game over", "about to press the reset button on all the bullshit that you thought was dope", I know I aint quoting it right but you know what I'm sayin, all that hype everyone was throwing around. Most people believed that shit though, there's people all over this board talking about, "but he's finally motivated", "he wasn't feeling none of the music he had done before", "the movie inspired him", "the music is on another level", that's what the fuck they told you and wanted you to believe.

That's why i think the music isn't up to where it should be, if it wasn't for this perfect moment, Compton wouldn't have came out either. It is what it is and it aint what it aint. Brilliant marketing on their part, the best I've seen for any album and the music is good but not what it coulda/shoulda been.

I call bull on this one. This is exactly the opposite of a business move. Infact, the proceeds from this album are going to some Compton development project. Dre couldn't care less about the chump change he would make from album sales these days.

Infact, on this album Dre has dropped any illusions of making a commercial hit record. Perhaps he realized that singles like "I Need A Doctor" reeked of desperation from a legend that had lost his confidence. On "Compton" Dre has not attempted to produce even a single pop record. I honestly believe that he has done what he artistically wanted on this album.

Now that is not saying that it is necessarily what I personally wanted. I'm 40 years old - I was 17 when The Chronic dropped and opened my eyes to west coast gangsta rap - and yes I would have loved an album in the style of 2001 or The Chronic - or even an album like Game's west coast classic "The Doctors Advocate" (which really sounded like a Dr.Dre album right down to Game rapping like Dre throughout the record). But I can recognize quality when I hear it and this is definitely quality. Like others have pointed out this is more like To Pimp A Butterfly part II than it is The Chronic part II or 2001 part II. I will need to listen to this album some more to really get into it, but after 5 listens it still gets better every time. Album is sounding immaculate. The mixing is flawless as expected with Dre. There's hardly a duff track on it. Really, the ONLY thing that annoys me is Dre trying to rap like Kendrick - it is just not his style.

bigpimpin20

« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2015, 02:44:32 AM »
some people in here remind me of crackheads, when they hit it the first time (the chronic or 2001 for some) it was tha bomb (classic). and wit every next release (next hit of crack) they try to catch that feelin they had at first but of course theyll never accomplish that. they will get high but nothin can fuck with the first hit of rock. Its not Dr.Dre-''The Chronic 2015'' its Soundtrack to the Movie... so dont try too hard just enjoy the music people
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:49:11 AM by bigpimpin20 »

doggfather

« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2015, 02:50:45 AM »
some people in here remind me of crackheads, when they hit it the first time (the chronic or 2001 for some) it was tha bomb (classic). and wit every next release (next hit of crack) they try to catch that feelin they had at first but of course theyll never accomplish that. they will get high but nothin can fuck with the first hit of rock. Its not Dr.Dre-''The Chronic 2015'' its Soundtrack to the Movie... so dont try too hard just enjoy the music people

it is NOT the ost for the movie.  ;)
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

bigpimpin20

« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2015, 03:11:23 AM »
how come? "Compton - A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre" maybe you mean its more like Soundtrack to The City of Compton and it should be titled Straight Outta Compton Soundtrack? Either way its inspired by and connected to the movie
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 03:18:30 AM by bigpimpin20 »

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2015, 03:36:38 AM »
I don't think the album is getting the love it deserves here on DubCC. Too many people were expecting their "own" version of a Dr. Dre album rather than keeping an open mind.  

Metacritic got it at 85 score with critical reviews, at 9.7 on a USER rating.  This is definitely grown up rap & DRE.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/compton/dr-dre

doggfather

« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2015, 03:44:30 AM »
how come? "Compton - A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre" maybe you mean its more like Soundtrack to The City of Compton and it should be titled Straight Outta Compton Soundtrack? Either way its inspired by and connected to the movie

Thats ok, but still aint the ost for the film.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Matty

« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »
gonna wait for the dust to settle before i start dissecting this thing, but i feel myself disliking it more with each play. a few tracks are straight skippers, really missing the soul influence in favour of these loud, dark, aggressive soundscapes. it's just not a sound i can take enjoyement listening to. to give you an idea, best tracks would include 'It's All On Me', 'Animals' and absolute worst would be 'For The Love of Money' - can't believe a beat like that ended up on a Dre album, however good the rapping and mixing is.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2015, 07:42:00 AM »
This album is a grower, the content is good, its adressing current issues in our society (police brutallity, #blacklivesmatter) I believe that if you cannot relate to some of the subject it may.be a problem to feel the album as a whole

« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2015, 07:44:31 AM »
any word on the new X album? really interested to hear what else him and the Doc came up with throughout all those sessions.

X is normally quite astute with things like this that raise his profile and he sounded invigorated on the album, probably one of the best verses and one of the few that I immediately recognized the artist for who he was. Dre has also been generous with his beats for X before so I think that he'll probably be a large factor in X dropping the album that (most of us) expected this to be.

I think this album is going to take a few more spins for me to get used to it but there are some really interesting elements in some of the production that deserve an instrumental to truly appreciate but Dres new style is just ehh.

Bonus X verse: