Author Topic: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 49140 times)

Will_B

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #750 on: October 15, 2015, 04:36:11 AM »
How do you get a stream link like that?

I wanna download the Abstract Radio shows

HighEyeCue

« Reply #751 on: October 15, 2015, 04:52:14 AM »
it's already gold....doesnt have a proper video, proper single, no tracks allowed on youtube. with any sort of promotion, this would easily be 3x platinum by now....it's obvious that dre didn't do this for notoriety.

In the Dre/Premier Pharmacy episode that I posted in the other thread, Dre alludes on the lack of a proper single on Compton.  He said that he used to be concerned with it, but the way that the industry is now changed all of that.

~35 minute mark

He doesn't really care about singles anymore, he just wants to make good music.

I think the Apple only release for the first 2 weeks cut down on sales...by the time the physical CD had come out it was already downloaded by many illegally...only the hardcore Dre fans like us bought the CD

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #752 on: October 15, 2015, 10:04:04 AM »
haven't really said much since release, but honestly, this album is a huge letdown. i knew people would be getting upset and catchings feelings on both side for this one. i see dre's got a lot of fans regardless and it isn't bad by current day standards, it's not the shit i can vibe with fully. 2001 is much more enjoyable and while this is meant to be a harder, angsty cityscape, it just hasn't got the kind of groove i associate with dre's sound. his input seems to be more in more in the mixing etc. grand finale my ass. any version of detox woulda been more refreshing than this, i feel. but oh well.

it looks like he's working on some new stuff now, maybe a more west coast (west west) project? i hope he doesn't go out with 'Compton'. if detox could come back it would be great, but don't particularly wanna hear any more of the Compton sound. he should get back with the cats like dawaun parker.

fair enough, the sound didn't fit me the first time i heard the album.
i can enjoy some of the album now, but the vocal production could be much better.
and i don't like the south imitation and the weird voice effects, dre should know better

I agree about the vocals they sound off to me as well...the beats are dope I don't hear much southern influence though
you're right, i should have added that i'm mainly referring to Talk about it.

I still listen to this album almost every day - shit is classic.  I don't get all the complaints about it.  Before Compton came out, I was listening to Crack a Bottle -

"I'll be damned, just fucked around and crashed my Benz.
Driving around with a smashed front end
Let's cash that one in.
Grab another one from out the stable
The Monte Carlo, El Camino or the El Dorado
The hell if I know.
Do I want leather seats or vinyl?
Decisions, decisions
Garage looks like Precision Collision."

Just glad DRE didn't come out and rap about his low-riders and blunts anymore - he's on some grown man shit.  I think people are missing the KUSH tracks but Dre is 50 mayne... doesn't need to rap about that stuff.

fair enough, but vocally he sounds better on crack a bottle than on most of the Compton album

no problem, I can definitely see the influence on that one track...I agree about his vocals they sounded better in the past but he is 50 years old so I understand...I dont particularly care for the guests featured, not really impressive when you think about it although Em was very decent on his song

i know about the age, but for me it's more the result of Kendrick writing for Dre.
to me the vocals sound better when Eminem writes for Dre for example.

it's already gold....doesnt have a proper video, proper single, no tracks allowed on youtube. with any sort of promotion, this would easily be 3x platinum by now....it's obvious that dre didn't do this for notoriety.

In the Dre/Premier Pharmacy episode that I posted in the other thread, Dre alludes on the lack of a proper single on Compton.  He said that he used to be concerned with it, but the way that the industry is now changed all of that.

~35 minute mark

He doesn't really care about singles anymore, he just wants to make good music.
sounds good to me, hopefully he will continue to do that.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:09:17 AM by Dre-Day »

HighEyeCue

« Reply #753 on: October 15, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »
haven't really said much since release, but honestly, this album is a huge letdown. i knew people would be getting upset and catchings feelings on both side for this one. i see dre's got a lot of fans regardless and it isn't bad by current day standards, it's not the shit i can vibe with fully. 2001 is much more enjoyable and while this is meant to be a harder, angsty cityscape, it just hasn't got the kind of groove i associate with dre's sound. his input seems to be more in more in the mixing etc. grand finale my ass. any version of detox woulda been more refreshing than this, i feel. but oh well.

it looks like he's working on some new stuff now, maybe a more west coast (west west) project? i hope he doesn't go out with 'Compton'. if detox could come back it would be great, but don't particularly wanna hear any more of the Compton sound. he should get back with the cats like dawaun parker.

fair enough, the sound didn't fit me the first time i heard the album.
i can enjoy some of the album now, but the vocal production could be much better.
and i don't like the south imitation and the weird voice effects, dre should know better

I agree about the vocals they sound off to me as well...the beats are dope I don't hear much southern influence though
you're right, i should have added that i'm mainly referring to Talk about it.

I still listen to this album almost every day - shit is classic.  I don't get all the complaints about it.  Before Compton came out, I was listening to Crack a Bottle -

"I'll be damned, just fucked around and crashed my Benz.
Driving around with a smashed front end
Let's cash that one in.
Grab another one from out the stable
The Monte Carlo, El Camino or the El Dorado
The hell if I know.
Do I want leather seats or vinyl?
Decisions, decisions
Garage looks like Precision Collision."

Just glad DRE didn't come out and rap about his low-riders and blunts anymore - he's on some grown man shit.  I think people are missing the KUSH tracks but Dre is 50 mayne... doesn't need to rap about that stuff.

fair enough, but vocally he sounds better on crack a bottle than on most of the Compton album

no problem, I can definitely see the influence on that one track...I agree about his vocals they sounded better in the past but he is 50 years old so I understand...I dont particularly care for the guests featured, not really impressive when you think about it although Em was very decent on his song

i know about the age, but for me it's more the result of Kendrick writing for Dre.
to me the vocals sound better when Eminem writes for Dre for example.

interesting...as far as hearing Kendricks influence on Dre's vocals you might be right :-\

jaytee

« Reply #754 on: October 15, 2015, 04:12:28 PM »
How do you get a stream link like that?

I wanna download the Abstract Radio shows

http://feeds.feedburner.com/Beats1Shows

I only checked a few of the links.  Some work and some don't. 

Will_B

« Reply #755 on: October 16, 2015, 02:59:54 AM »
That's amazing homie thank you^^

Jay_J

« Reply #756 on: October 17, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0j9wxBpkfI#t=4m28s

who is this singing on "all in a day's work"?

it starts at 4:28

who is singing and what the fuck is he singing? or is it a sample?

dameons

« Reply #757 on: October 17, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
Dre ruined his legacy. .worst album along his worst sales/downloads...Very much a forgettable effort .

Blood$

« Reply #758 on: October 18, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Dre ruined his legacy. .worst album along his worst sales/downloads...Very much a forgettable effort .

lol not really

Sccit

« Reply #759 on: October 18, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
lol any1 mentioning sales is retarded....it went gold without a video or a single. that has to be a first in history. dre clearly isn't goin for sales wit this one, cuz a video to a song like "talk about it" woulda easily tripled the sales.

Will_B

« Reply #760 on: October 18, 2015, 10:47:39 PM »
lol any1 mentioning sales is retarded....it went gold without a video or a single. that has to be a first in history.

Maybe for a pop album

bouli77

« Reply #761 on: October 19, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »
lol any1 mentioning sales is retarded....it went gold without a video or a single. that has to be a first in history.

Maybe for a pop album

no, not even in rap. In 1996, UGK's Ridin' Dirty went gold without any promotion, single and videos.

Dre going Gold in this day & age is still an astonishing performance considering how hard it is to go gold and how fast he did it, but him dropping the album around the release of Straight Outta Compton, and the viral campaigns definitely helped him.

Sccit

« Reply #762 on: October 19, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »

Maybe for a pop album

no, not even in rap. In 1996, UGK's Ridin' Dirty went gold without any promotion, single and videos.

Dre going Gold in this day & age is still an astonishing performance considering how hard it is to go gold and how fast he did it, but him dropping the album around the release of Straight Outta Compton, and the viral campaigns definitely helped him.

Don't feed the troll

Blood$

« Reply #763 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »

Maybe for a pop album

truth

Jay_J

« Reply #764 on: October 20, 2015, 03:44:00 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0j9wxBpkfI#t=4m28s

who is this singing on "all in a day's work"?

it starts at 4:28

who is singing and what the fuck is he singing? or is it a sample?