Author Topic: Golden Era (90's Music) One Hit Wonder's!!!  (Read 2137 times)

kolaboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Golden Era (90's Music) One Hit Wonder's!!!
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2015, 02:43:13 AM »
Truth hurts..knocturnal...kinda after the golden era

What Songs ???

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:53 AM »
kriss kross - jump

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2015, 07:41:22 AM »
kriss kross - jump
Serious? They still had a number of platinum released AFTER that. Tonite's the Night was still big and two albums after that, so no.

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:22 AM »
Shabba Ranks - Mr. Loverman

CORREA

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2015, 06:23:20 AM »
luniz not a 1 hit wonder, we talkin about the greatest duo out the bay of all time.....................................

Yeah Luniz are defintely a 1 hit wonder. Doesn't mean they didn't have any other good songs but that was their only HIT.

You can say the same for Warren G with "Regulate". "I Want it All" made some noise but wasn't necessarily a hit.

Monica - Don't Take It Personal
Salt n Pepper - Shoop, Whatta Man
Brandy - I Wanna Be Down - Remix w MC Lute, Yo Yo n Queen Latifah
Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
Ginuwine - Pony
Az Yet - ???
Brownstone - ???
Da Brat - Funkdafied
Outhere Brothers - Boom Boom Boom
Envouge - ???
Puff Daddy - I'll Be Missing You
Will Smith - Get Jiggy Wit It
DJ Jazzy Jeff n The Fresh Prince - Boom Shake The Room
PM Dawn - Moving On Up

Zhane - Hey Mr DJ
Meshell Ndegiocello - If That's Ya Boyfriend ( He Wasn't Last Night )
Refugee All Stars - Ghetto Superstar
Puff n B.I.G - Mo Money Mo Problems
The Whole Dangerous Minds Soundtrack - Classic 90's Soundtrack
Keith Sweat - Twisted
Groove Theory - Tell Me
Naughty By Nature - Feel Me Flow, Hip Hop Hooray
Inner Circle - Sweat
Roachford - Lay Your Love On Me
Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
Baby Face - Nobody Knows
Boyz II Men Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day

I think you two missed the 1 HIT WONDER part. No way in hell are you telling me Baby Face, Monica, Brandy, Boyz II Men, En Vogue, or Ginuwine are 1 hit wonders.

Props for mentioning Az Yet tho. That "Last Night" song was the shit.

but a 1 hit wonder is some1 who makes a hit and then fades off into obscurity...hence the "wonder" part. so ahmed and skee-lo are 1 hit wonders. luniz, on the other hand, capitalized off their hit and became bay legends. thats far from a 1 hit WONDER.

luniz are one hit wonders

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2015, 09:50:08 AM »
Kris Kross also had hits in 'Warm It Up' and 'I missed the bus' from their debut.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

TidyKris

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
luniz not a 1 hit wonder, we talkin about the greatest duo out the bay of all time.....................................

Yeah Luniz are defintely a 1 hit wonder. Doesn't mean they didn't have any other good songs but that was their only HIT.

You can say the same for Warren G with "Regulate". "I Want it All" made some noise but wasn't necessarily a hit.

Monica - Don't Take It Personal
Salt n Pepper - Shoop, Whatta Man
Brandy - I Wanna Be Down - Remix w MC Lute, Yo Yo n Queen Latifah
Montell Jordan - This Is How We Do It
Ginuwine - Pony
Az Yet - ???
Brownstone - ???
Da Brat - Funkdafied
Outhere Brothers - Boom Boom Boom
Envouge - ???
Puff Daddy - I'll Be Missing You
Will Smith - Get Jiggy Wit It
DJ Jazzy Jeff n The Fresh Prince - Boom Shake The Room
PM Dawn - Moving On Up

Zhane - Hey Mr DJ
Meshell Ndegiocello - If That's Ya Boyfriend ( He Wasn't Last Night )
Refugee All Stars - Ghetto Superstar
Puff n B.I.G - Mo Money Mo Problems
The Whole Dangerous Minds Soundtrack - Classic 90's Soundtrack
Keith Sweat - Twisted
Groove Theory - Tell Me
Naughty By Nature - Feel Me Flow, Hip Hop Hooray
Inner Circle - Sweat
Roachford - Lay Your Love On Me
Shaggy - It Wasn't Me
Baby Face - Nobody Knows
Boyz II Men Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day

I think you two missed the 1 HIT WONDER part. No way in hell are you telling me Baby Face, Monica, Brandy, Boyz II Men, En Vogue, or Ginuwine are 1 hit wonders.

Props for mentioning Az Yet tho. That "Last Night" song was the shit.

but a 1 hit wonder is some1 who makes a hit and then fades off into obscurity...hence the "wonder" part. so ahmed and skee-lo are 1 hit wonders. luniz, on the other hand, capitalized off their hit and became bay legends. thats far from a 1 hit WONDER.

Id have to agree that Luniz were 1 hit wonders...they may have became legends in the bay but
outside of the bay they only really had "I got 5 on it" that was a big hit.

But i see that people have different opinions on what a 1 hit wonder is so it depends which way you look at it

I saw earlier that somebody put "PM Dawn - Moving On Up" in the 1 hit wonder pile...you must have forgot about "Set a drift on memory bliss"...id say that was their biggest track  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 04:37:08 PM by TidyKris »

Ebenus Supremus

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2015, 06:12:27 PM »
Look, I just put up 90's hits that MADE the artist....
Regardless of the fact that some of these ppl forged formidable careers before, during or after these hits does not dismiss the fact that these are the songs they are best known for in the 90's, other songs having much less chart impact if any at all...

I didn't think it was worth arguing the "wonder" part as I thought the author of this thread was just looking to make a mix tape or something...

bouli77

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2015, 06:26:42 PM »
I think there are two different definitions of a "one hit wonder" clashing here and Luniz exemplifies that

If we're talking about artists who only crossed over once but still had a solid career within their movement (in that case bay area rap) with an established fanbase, a reputation and remained active, but were never able to duplicate their commercial success then yeah Luniz can be considered "one hit wonders", just like House of Pain (Jump), N2Deep (Back 2 the Hotel), Craig Mack (Flava In Ya Ear), Rappin' 4 Tay (Playaz Club in America, I'll Be Around in Europe and Australia), Souls of Mischief (93 Til Infinity), The Pharcyde, Digable Planets, etc.

But I tend to agree with Scitt on that one, the "wonder" part is equally important. To me "one hit wonders" don't even have a career, they may have a couple of album funded by record execs who tried to capitalize on their former popularity, but they blew up and were really never heard of again, or they tried to go on but with such confidentiality that it wasn't even relevant (cf. Skee Lo's At The Mall (dope song) btw)).

I think artists such as Volume 10, Ahmad, College Boyz, Lil Troy, Alfonzo Hunter, Tone Loc, Young MC, Sir Mix a Lot,

CORREA

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2015, 08:44:46 PM »
who were the ones who did that annoying laffy taffy song bout 10 years ago

jaytee

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
I think there are two different definitions of a "one hit wonder" clashing here and Luniz exemplifies that

If we're talking about artists who only crossed over once but still had a solid career within their movement (in that case bay area rap) with an established fanbase, a reputation and remained active, but were never able to duplicate their commercial success then yeah Luniz can be considered "one hit wonders", just like House of Pain (Jump), N2Deep (Back 2 the Hotel), Craig Mack (Flava In Ya Ear), Rappin' 4 Tay (Playaz Club in America, I'll Be Around in Europe and Australia), Souls of Mischief (93 Til Infinity), The Pharcyde, Digable Planets, etc.

But I tend to agree with Scitt on that one, the "wonder" part is equally important. To me "one hit wonders" don't even have a career, they may have a couple of album funded by record execs who tried to capitalize on their former popularity, but they blew up and were really never heard of again, or they tried to go on but with such confidentiality that it wasn't even relevant (cf. Skee Lo's At The Mall (dope song) btw)).

I think artists such as Volume 10, Ahmad, College Boyz, Lil Troy, Alfonzo Hunter, Tone Loc, Young MC, Sir Mix a Lot,

I agree with most of that.  However, Tone Loc had 2 Top-3 hits.  Wild Thing (2) and Funky Cold Medina (3).  In pop culture, I've heard more references to Funky Cold Medina out of the 2.  2 albums and he was done musically.  One album wonder....

For me, the first song I think of when I hear about Sir Mix-A-Lot is "Posse on Broadway."  It came out in '88.  It was a moderate hit, but nowhere near the mainstream magnitude of "Baby Got Back."  People that aren't really Hip-Hop fans will know that record.  That's what the term "One Hit Wonder" really applies to.  It doesn't mean that an artist isn't good or doesn't have enjoyable material, it just didn't blow up.

I remember watching a VH-1 show some years back with "Two-Hit Wonders" and they had Digital Underground on there.  "Humpty Dance" and "Kiss You Back"  As a fan, it's like what about Doowutchyalike, Same Song or Oregano Flow? They got video/radio play, but weren't crossover hits like the other 2. 

Sccit

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2015, 12:12:08 AM »
i dont think any1 ever said "i wonder where the luniz are"....they been active. if they a 1 hit wonder then what is skee-lo?

CORREA

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2015, 06:33:38 AM »
i dont think any1 ever said "i wonder where the luniz are"....they been active. if they a 1 hit wonder then what is skee-lo?

just cause they been around forever doesn't make them legends lets face it 5 on it was the only song they were known outside the bay
its like saying daz is a legend :D yet i cant think of anything hes known for maybe being being on ny ny and unless u grew up in the 90s ur lucky if you even remember that   

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2015, 10:02:50 AM »

just cause they been around forever doesn't make them legends lets face it 5 on it was the only song they were known outside the bay
its like saying daz is a legend :D yet i cant think of anything hes known for maybe being being on ny ny and unless u grew up in the 90s ur lucky if you even remember that   

What duo from the bay is greater than the Luniz? If they ain't bay legends, then no one is.

kolaboy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
What duo from the bay is greater than the Luniz? If they ain't bay legends, then no one is.
[/quote]

Just Let It Go, A Classic Song Don't Made You A Legend...