Author Topic: Pete Rose to join the Hall Of Fame in June....  (Read 765 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Pete Rose to join the Hall Of Fame in June....
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
the Cincy Reds Hall Of Fame that is  ;D

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Pete Rose to join the Hall Of Fame in June....
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »
i've always believed that him and Shoeless Joe should be in the Hall of Fame. And now that Mike Piazza is in, then both really need to be in. Fine, you have a lifetime ban, well you can even make an agreement with Rose, know that you'll be in, but a lifetime ban means not in your lifetime, but we can throw a little party behind close doors, your loved ones can come, you can make a speech and we all know that when you playing ball in that big field in the sky, we are here putting you in the Hall of Fame.

I was fine with leaving Rose out, but once I saw Mike Piazza in, I threw up my hands and said keeping people out who obviously were great, but questionable, is nonsense. Time to let in Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and other players who would have been in with or without steroids. I'm not even sure Piazza would have been in without PEDs, so maybe let in McGwire, Sosa, and Canseco too.

Remedy360

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 01:40:08 PM »
i've always believed that him and Shoeless Joe should be in the Hall of Fame. And now that Mike Piazza is in, then both really need to be in. Fine, you have a lifetime ban, well you can even make an agreement with Rose, know that you'll be in, but a lifetime ban means not in your lifetime, but we can throw a little party behind close doors, your loved ones can come, you can make a speech and we all know that when you playing ball in that big field in the sky, we are here putting you in the Hall of Fame.

I was fine with leaving Rose out, but once I saw Mike Piazza in, I threw up my hands and said keeping people out who obviously were great, but questionable, is nonsense. Time to let in Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and other players who would have been in with or without steroids. I'm not even sure Piazza would have been in without PEDs, so maybe let in McGwire, Sosa, and Canseco too.

If I remember correctly Piazza never showed up on any of those major lists, failed a test, or anything like that. I'm not saying you shouldn't be suspicious, but I don't think he ever slipped up like the rest of those guys, so I don't put him in that category. I wouldn't have an issue with guys like Bonds and Clemons getting in cause they're all-time greats without, but they were just so obnoxious in lying about it (and come off as assholes in general) that I don't really feel bad for them. As far as Rose, I've always felt he should be in, especially since he got caught gambling as a manager.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 11:04:03 PM »
yea u cant leave some1 out because u assume they did roids, thats faulty 2 the fullest. that said, i dont think the gambling shit is as big as they makin it out to be, unless they know he was throwin games, which i dont think they ever came to that conclusion.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »
I think everyone assumed Piazza did 'roids, but there was never any proof. Also, he's admitted to taking androstenedione, which is a banned PED, but when he took it, it was an over the counter product that wasn't banned. Andro' is in debate if it's a steroid or not, but this debate is why Piazza hasn't been in the HoF yet. I think most people know McGwire took 'roids, actual 'roids, but what we can prove was he was taking these supplements too. So do we keep these people out of the HoF for things we can't prove?

One strike against Piazza though, he wants to go in a Met. That's a slap in the face of his own godfather Tommy Lasorda.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:15:35 AM by M Dogg™ »

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »
I think everyone assumed Piazza did 'roids, but there was never any proof. Also, he's admitted to taking androstenedione, which is a banned PED, but when he took it, it was an over the counter product that wasn't banned. Andro' is in debate if it's a steroid or not, but this debate is why Piazza hasn't been in the HoF yet. I think most people know McGwire took 'roids, actual 'roids, but what we can prove was he was taking these supplements too. So do we keep these people out of the HoF for things we can't prove?

One strike against Piazza though, he wants to go in a Met. That's a slap in the face of his own godfather Tommy Lasorda.

you get to choose what team u go in as? And he ain't pick Dodgers?? Smfh

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »

From what I understand, the Hall lets you know what team they think you should go in as, and then a player can suggest what team they'll go in as. I guess Wade Boggs negotiated with the Devil Rays that if he signed, then he was going to the Hall as a Devil Ray, so the Hall took away the privilege away officially from the player, but still allowed the player to suggest the team they go in as. In this case the Hall let Mike know they were going to put him in as a Dodger, then Piazza said he wanted to go in as a Met, or just have a blank hat. Since Mike's best years were with the Dodgers, but he spent more years with the Mets, you can make an argument either way so the Hall granted his wish. The rule was put into place because of a situation like Boggs, best years in Boston but his last year was in Tampa, so it's not realistic to have him chose Tampa. In the case of Piazza, if he said the Mets, you can say he spent more time there, so they granted his wish.

Here is him talk about being a Met.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mike-piazza-will-wear-mets-cap-into-baseball-hall-of-fame-in-cooperstown-1.11302001
“As far as my hat,” Piazza said, “I want to be very clear and say that as much as I loved coming up with the Dodgers — I will always cherish my time there — I’m going to go in as a New York Met.”

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
Here is the article I was looking for when he talks about turning down the Dodgers as his HoF cap.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-hall-of-fame-piazza-dodgers-20160106-story.html
"If the Hall came to me and said, 'We want you to go in as a Dodger,' I'd say, 'Well, then I'll go in as nothing,'" Piazza wrote. "I just wouldn't feel comfortable with LA stamped on my head for all of eternity."

This is from his book in 2013, so I guess the Hall didn't ask Piazza, or maybe they read his book and already knew. But he made it pretty clear he wanted to go into the Hall as a Met long before he actually got in.

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
Smh

Remedy360

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »

From what I understand, the Hall lets you know what team they think you should go in as, and then a player can suggest what team they'll go in as. I guess Wade Boggs negotiated with the Devil Rays that if he signed, then he was going to the Hall as a Devil Ray, so the Hall took away the privilege away officially from the player, but still allowed the player to suggest the team they go in as. In this case the Hall let Mike know they were going to put him in as a Dodger, then Piazza said he wanted to go in as a Met, or just have a blank hat. Since Mike's best years were with the Dodgers, but he spent more years with the Mets, you can make an argument either way so the Hall granted his wish. The rule was put into place because of a situation like Boggs, best years in Boston but his last year was in Tampa, so it's not realistic to have him chose Tampa. In the case of Piazza, if he said the Mets, you can say he spent more time there, so they granted his wish.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mike-piazza-will-wear-mets-cap-into-baseball-hall-of-fame-in-cooperstown-1.11302001
“As far as my hat,” Piazza said, “I want to be very clear and say that as much as I loved coming up with the Dodgers — I will always cherish my time there — I’m going to go in as a New York Met.”

Interesting. It didn't phase me when I heard he wanted to go in as a Met, cause they did make a WS there and all that. But in looking at the numbers you're right that his best years as a player were definitely in LA. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but the whole trade to Florida ordeal must've been pretty messy. I don't know why else he would have so much animosity towards the organization.

Remedy360

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 06:15:23 PM »
yea u cant leave some1 out because u assume they did roids, thats faulty 2 the fullest. that said, i dont think the gambling shit is as big as they makin it out to be, unless they know he was throwin games, which i dont think they ever came to that conclusion.

Nah, was never found guilty of throwing games, just strict rules against gambling in general. And that was after his days as a player were over.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »

Nah, was never found guilty of throwing games, just strict rules against gambling in general. And that was after his days as a player were over.

THATS WHAT IM SAYIN.. HE SHOULD BE IN

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 10:14:04 AM »

Interesting. It didn't phase me when I heard he wanted to go in as a Met, cause they did make a WS there and all that. But in looking at the numbers you're right that his best years as a player were definitely in LA. I didn't pay much attention at the time, but the whole trade to Florida ordeal must've been pretty messy. I don't know why else he would have so much animosity towards the organization.

Yeah, I remember those days well, as it was all over the LA Times when i read the LA Times sports section daily. Basically Piazza wanted more money, he wanted to get one of those big contracts that everyone else was getting. And I use to go to games with my uncle, he had season tickets and he'd take one of use with him because his 5 year old son couldn't go to every game. I always wanted to go, because even though I was an Angel fan, who didn't want to go see Mike Piazza in person. So as a fan, I can honestly say Mike Piazza was a draw, people wanted to see him and he was a marquee player. And he wanted to get paid like one. The Dodgers were in the process of switching to Fox ownership, and they were trying to cut payroll so they weren't going to resign Piazza. They had their golden boy, and they really screwed it up. Yeah, at the time, Piazza was hurt.

With all that said, Piazza had only 3 years in NY that match his Dodger output. One of those years they did reach the World Series, and he was in his prime there. But if you look at his run, the majority of his prime was in LA, with the NY years coming at the last 3 years. No question his best years were in LA. So with that said, it's on him now. He's the one who's refuse to go to Dodger stadium. Just because a few sports writers in the LA Times called you selfish, you want to hold a grudge against the whole city. Just because your last week people boo'd knowing you were going to be traded, you want to be sad. Even Marcus Allen made up with the Raiders, the ownership group that owned the Dodgers then is not here now. It's time to move on, and now this is all on Piazza.

Rose to the HoF FTW!!!

Remedy360

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »

Yeah, I remember those days well, as it was all over the LA Times when i read the LA Times sports section daily. Basically Piazza wanted more money, he wanted to get one of those big contracts that everyone else was getting. And I use to go to games with my uncle, he had season tickets and he'd take one of use with him because his 5 year old son couldn't go to every game. I always wanted to go, because even though I was an Angel fan, who didn't want to go see Mike Piazza in person. So as a fan, I can honestly say Mike Piazza was a draw, people wanted to see him and he was a marquee player. And he wanted to get paid like one. The Dodgers were in the process of switching to Fox ownership, and they were trying to cut payroll so they weren't going to resign Piazza. They had their golden boy, and they really screwed it up. Yeah, at the time, Piazza was hurt.

With all that said, Piazza had only 3 years in NY that match his Dodger output. One of those years they did reach the World Series, and he was in his prime there. But if you look at his run, the majority of his prime was in LA, with the NY years coming at the last 3 years. No question his best years were in LA. So with that said, it's on him now. He's the one who's refuse to go to Dodger stadium. Just because a few sports writers in the LA Times called you selfish, you want to hold a grudge against the whole city. Just because your last week people boo'd knowing you were going to be traded, you want to be sad. Even Marcus Allen made up with the Raiders, the ownership group that owned the Dodgers then is not here now. It's time to move on, and now this is all on Piazza.

Rose to the HoF FTW!!!

Yeah, I can't say I blame Piazza for wanting to go in as a Met, relationships are a huge part of sports and that's obviously where he felt like he was most appreciated. That being said, his animosity towards LA does seem way overblown.  Since he went in with Griffey I've ended up watching a few of the interviews he's done and he has thanked LA, never knew they were on such bad terms.