Author Topic: "Domino" debut 1993. A OG Battlecat Classic  (Read 682 times)

Mr. Theo

"Domino" debut 1993. A OG Battlecat Classic
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »
I listened again to this album, 5 hours straight.
It is definitely a classic

Then, I went to the internet, searching for something about it.

Some Facts:

- It's fun because nowadays, Battlecat is a big Snoop Dogg collaborator, but at the time (1993), he doesn't any involvement with Snoop and produced practically the whole Domino album ( minus #10 Track ), Domino had a feud with Snoop since 1989/1990 (sée Foesum "Let Em Understand Perfection") and at the time (93) both rappers released theirS debut, and recorded diss tracks, both claimed style theft.

- Another fact..Battlecat used the same drum break and various songS "Sly and Family Stone - Sing a Simple Song"

- DJ Quik mentioned that Battlecat was around on Quik Is The Name sessions, Battlecat also produced in PPC album, released in the end of 1992.
If you read "Domino" album credits, there are several indications that DJ Quik was around with Battlecat on the studio sessions ( but DJ Quik don't touched any record, Profile should be banned him)

1: AMG is featuring on the album
2: Robert Fonksta Bacon played bass and guitar in various tracks
3: The album was recorded and mixed at Skip Sailor studios ( DJ Quik used Skip Sailor from Quik Is The Name to Under The Influence )
4: Michael Miller, the photographer who did the album photos, is the same guy who did "Safe and Sound" photos (S+S released 14 moths after)
5: Louie Teran, the album engineer, is a DJ Quik friend..he was the engineer on 2nd II None debut,AMG Debut, PPC album and Way 2 Fonky
6: Executive Produced by Greedy Greg.

but it's classic, all the way..Battlecat is a OG for this one

Diggedy Domino   8/10 ( the hook in this song, is the only boring thing on the album )
Getto Jam   10/10 - CLASSIC MY FAVORITE SONG OF THE ALBUM
A.F.D.   9/10
Do You Qualify   10/10 ANOTHER CLASSIC
Jam               10/10 fire!
Money Is Everything   10/10 money..money..moneeeey
Sweet Potatoe Pie   10/10 Another onE Classic
Raincoat    10/10  My Second fav song!
Long Beach Thang   10/10
That's Real ( AMG prod.) 9/10

If you never listen this album, go ahead and listen!

Peace!!!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:26:52 AM by Mr. Theo »

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: "Domino" debut 1993. A OG Battlecat Classic
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
Interesting.... I'd heard some noise about him and Snoop having some connection through Long Beach and the group Perfection, but still I never really bothered to check out Domino's material.  "Ghetto Jam" is an undeniable banger from back in the day, and I loved that joint since I was a kid, but I always just thought he was a one hit wonder.  Knowing that Battlecat produced his old album made me wanna check out some of those tracks you posted..... seems I was sleepin on this album, cause it is bangin....

Did Snoop and Domino ever reconcile?  Because considering that the both came out around the same time it is funny that I have never heard Snoop ever mention Domino's name?  Is that right?  
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:48:49 AM »
It's interesting that after all their drama, Domino did a record with Techniec & Crooked I (who were both beefin with Snoop at the time) called Ego Trippin. Then about a year later Snoop released an album called... ;D

They may have both moved on but I don't think they ever formally squashed the beef.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

gio™fugahoo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 02:09:57 PM »
Indeed Classic

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 02:20:06 PM »
Yep  a west coast classic with BC behind the boards, too bad i sold this album not long ago. Funny the BC/quik connection and friends (good infos)

An album that one can fully appreciate during summer time and barbecue (if you haven't done yet you ain't a true WC rap fan.. period)
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

The Predator

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 02:39:03 PM »
Ghetto Jammin...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eZxTTDlp63w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eZxTTDlp63w</a>

Mr. Theo

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 03:20:29 AM »
Interesting.... I'd heard some noise about him and Snoop having some connection through Long Beach and the group Perfection, but still I never really bothered to check out Domino's material.  "Ghetto Jam" is an undeniable banger from back in the day, and I loved that joint since I was a kid, but I always just thought he was a one hit wonder.  Knowing that Battlecat produced his old album made me wanna check out some of those tracks you posted..... seems I was sleepin on this album, cause it is bangin....

Did Snoop and Domino ever reconcile?  Because considering that the both came out around the same time it is funny that I have never heard Snoop ever mention Domino's name?  Is that right?  

YeaH they reconciled in 07-08. Recorded a track . It's on Itunes.

Snoop and Domino beef came from the underground era.

MMnsta,T-Dubb and DJ Glaze ( Foesum ), Wayniac and Tripp Locc ( Tha Twinz ), Travvy Trav and Domino ( Genuine Draft ) formed the group Perfection, but Domino left the group in 89'.

Perfection recorded the song "Let Em Understand Perfection" featuring a young Snoop Doggy Dogg ( Snoop hangin with Perfection at that time because Twinz).

After this, Wayniac left to work with Warren G..and Travyy Trav died of heart attack.

Perfection turns to Foesum ( see Foursome ) ..MMnsta,T-Dubb, Glaze and Tripp Locc, they recorded a album in 1992 ( released in 2004 with the Lost Filez title )

After 92, Tripp Locc left the group..and Domino/Snoop debuts reached the stores with diss tracks..Domino ( Long Beach Thang ) ..Snoop responded on Doggstyle intro.

Foesum released their debut in 96 ( album recorded in 94-95 )

Man i love this guys story..it's so much wasted talent...Imagine a super collective group in the past: Snoop Dogg, Domino, Mmnsta, T-Dubb, Glaze, Wayniac, Tripp Locc, Warren G, Nate Dogg, The Dove Shack..all working together.

Long Beach have so much talent...Damn!!

An album that one can fully appreciate during summer time and barbecue (if you haven't done yet you ain't a true WC rap fan.. period)

BBQ Music..certainly!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Ghetto Jammin...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eZxTTDlp63w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eZxTTDlp63w</a>

CLASSIC!

Funny in 1995 Chris Stokes sampled heavy this song for Immature's "I Don't Kknow" .

Bangin' too!

Peace!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:45:11 AM by Mr. Theo »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:11:57 AM »

After 92, Tripp Locc left the group..and Domino/Snoop debuts reached the stores with diss tracks..Domino ( Money Is Everything, Long Beach Thang ) ..Snoop responded on Doggstyle intro.

How does the Doggystyle intro diss Domino?

Mr. Theo

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 08:49:01 AM »

After 92, Tripp Locc left the group..and Domino/Snoop debuts reached the stores with diss tracks..Domino ( Money Is Everything, Long Beach Thang ) ..Snoop responded on Doggstyle intro.

My Bad..

Lodi Dodi Intro

"Domino motherfucker what's happenin?
  Ahh nigga eat a dick nigga, don't break my momma's nice ass table nigga
Yeah fuck that, fuck what they talkin bout nigga
Rack them motherfuckin dominoes up nigga
  Fuck that nigga, just look, look out for the table nigga
Fuck that
  Aiyyo where's Snoop Dogg?
I don't know them niggaz went upstairs with that big booty bitch man
  Ahh no he ain't bustin no nuts on my momma's spread
That nigga up there gettin his socks blown the fuck off
  Gettin his ass chewed out
Better ask somebody
  Balls licked up and down
Hell yeah
  Aiyyo whassup with them niggaz that was on the TV dissin you?
Man fuck them niggaz, man I ain't thinkin about that old shit, man
  Busta ass, HIV pussy-ass motherfuckers"

dnjp4life

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
I thought that was just Daz talking about playing the game dominoes on the 'Lodi Dodi' intro. I also never knew Domino dissed Snoop on his album. I'll have to catch that the next time I play it.

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 10:40:54 AM »

My Bad..

Lodi Dodi Intro

"Domino motherfucker what's happenin?
  Ahh nigga eat a dick nigga, don't break my momma's nice ass table nigga
Yeah fuck that, fuck what they talkin bout nigga
Rack them motherfuckin dominoes up nigga
  Fuck that nigga, just look, look out for the table nigga
Fuck that
  Aiyyo where's Snoop Dogg?
I don't know them niggaz went upstairs with that big booty bitch man
  Ahh no he ain't bustin no nuts on my momma's spread
That nigga up there gettin his socks blown the fuck off
  Gettin his ass chewed out
Better ask somebody
  Balls licked up and down
Hell yeah

looks like a reach to me

Giesuz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Veterano
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »
classic album  ;D

Mista Rosa

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »
That album is the bomb, I am glad I have a hardcopy.

I check his 2001 album "D freaked it" but turned it off after 3 tracks to put "Domino" instead. Battlecat production + Domino's flow... Shiiiiiiiit...
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 06:23:33 PM »

My Bad..

Lodi Dodi Intro

looks like a reach to me

well clearly they were dissing somebody.  I thought it was always assumed that that was yet another Eazy, Ruthless diss.  Cause isn't it Dre talking to Daz?

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »

My Bad..

Lodi Dodi Intro

looks like a reach to me

well clearly they were dissing somebody.  I thought it was always assumed that that was yet another Eazy, Ruthless diss.  Cause isn't it Dre talking to Daz?

yes they were...but the "domino muthafuckaz!" was in reference to them playin, not to domino. probably an eazy-e diss, or just a diss to any1 in general talkin shit.