Author Topic: Barbershop' Movie Cuts Too Close to My Famous Play ... Writer Sues  (Read 195 times)

CORREA

"Barbershop: The Next Cut" is supposed to hit theaters Friday -- but a playwright wants a judge to shut it down immediately, because it rips off his stage play ... according to the guy's lawsuit.

JD Lawrence says all 3 'Barbershop' flicks, and the Showtime TV series, bear an uncanny resemblance to scenes from "Scissors" ... a play he wrote and toured around the country from 1998 to 2001.

He says his play was set in a barbershop in a black neighborhood, and focused on the shop's importance to the community ... which, of course, is the same as the movies.

Lawrence says the similarities include ... characters, plot lines, and events. He points out "Scissors" has an elderly owner -- just like Cedric the Entertainer's character, Eddie. And both feature similar discussions about the O.J. Simpson murder trial -- and white barbers who get clowned ... for being white.

He's suing Warner Bros and Showtime for at least $20 million, and wants to block the release of 'The Next Cut.' Tick-tock ... Friday's coming up real quick.

GangstaBoogy

Re: Barbershop' Movie Cuts Too Close to My Famous Play ... Writer Sues
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:55:55 AM »
Oh shit his play had Black people discussing the OJ trial?! Yeah Cube must've stolen that original topic from him!

::)
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Okka

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:55:12 AM »
Cube stealin' from somebody? I can't believe that.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:20 AM »
if cube stole from the play writer

then the play writer took from every black shop across america since the 30s

80% of shops across america has dealt with all the sme issues

u can find every character  and the issues to match as well..

scissors wasnt shit so now he tryin to make a come up off somethin successful..

u can goto any black barbershop right now and ask who is the calvin of the shop n etc