Author Topic: Currently active rappers who are HEAVILY overrated or underrated  (Read 781 times)

SuperSpider

A lot of people will probably disagree with me on my list, but it wouldn't be a discussion board if everyone had the same opinion.

I think the following rappers are heavily overrated and it's bizarre hip-hop sources like magazines and radios make some exaggerated support statements regarding the quality of their material and the general public just decides to run with it:

1. J. Cole (he really isn't all that, despite what your 15 old ''woke'' cousin told you)
2. Meek Mill (self-explanatory)
3. Game (I'm expecting to take a lot of flak for this..)
4. Tory Lanez
5. Post Malone

I've got an underrated list as well, but most rappers who are on it are there because they just make dope music, which is not necessarily always quality material (e.g. Belly, Starlito & Don Trip)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:19:46 AM by SuperSpider »

Dargine

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Main Underground Stream
Re: Currently active rappers who are HEAVILY overrated or underrated
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 05:26:10 AM »
Underrated:

Six Street Lil' Mac
Pipe da Snipe
YG Hootie
The D.O.C. (after the incident, people like his shit from before that)
Obie Trice's last album

Overrated:

Jay-Z
Rakim (good rapper, but not the greatest like a lot of people say)
KRS-One

Don't know if any of them are still active tho'.
http://TheMUSblog.blogspot.com

Everything about The D.O.C, Obie Trice, The Notorious B.I.G, Young Buck, Eminem, Pipe da Snipe, Devin the Dude, Six Street Mac, Dr. Dre, B.G. Knocc Out, YG Hootie, 50 Cent, Nate Dogg, 4-Bent & Black Rob.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:30:26 AM »
Drake IMO is the most overrated...cant understand the love for Cole either but I guess the standards are so low today that these are our top rappers :-\

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 03:05:33 PM »
Underrated:

Six Street Lil' Mac
Pipe da Snipe
YG Hootie
The D.O.C. (after the incident, people like his shit from before that)
Obie Trice's last album

Overrated:

Jay-Z
Rakim (good rapper, but not the greatest like a lot of people say)
KRS-One

Don't know if any of them are still active tho'.

most of those people you just named aren't currently active though lol like at all

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:30:35 PM »
I don't agree with Cole, Kendrick, Meek Mill or Game being overrated and I feel they deserve their spots, however if someone feels the opposite I'm not mad at them and I could understand why

Overrated:

Drake - drops at most a handful of decent songs a year with the rest being ghost-written trash for the masses to be brainwashed by, but he does pay homage to some legends that others don't so he maintains some respect and integrity
Future - I actually fucked with some of his music from 2012-2013 before a million other people hopped on the bandwagon, still like a few songs here and there but he's redundant now
Young Thug  - this dude has been and always will be trash, and he's a blatant faggot yet somehow he gets a pass from people
Tory Lanez - I do like him on some features and he can actually RAP but I can't vibe to any project of his, too much autotune when it's not necessary and lack of direction
Post Malone - I saw him at SXSW way before he blew up and outside of 2 songs I never fucked with him like that, basically just a white version of the dudes named above combined
Kanye West - his first 3 albums and MBDTF will always be great but I don't see what others do in him nowadays, to me he's lost it almost completely especially since he doesn't even produce anymore and arguably doesn't even write his raps, so what is it that he does where he deserves credit? DJ Khaled puts together better joints these days lol
Wiz Khalifa - still releases some cool material but also a lot of trash that leaves you wondering what has he thinking, he needs to go back to the basics of what got him where he is

Underrated:

Freddie Gibbs - should be at the same level as Kendrick or Cole or bare minimum Meek Mill's level as far as being a 'street' rapper
Big K.R.I.T. - he's gotten his shine but not nearly what he truly deserves, once again deserves to be right at the same level if not higher than J. Cole since he raps and produces
Curren$y - on the low he was the most consistent artist of 2016, dropped 12 projects and all were quality products
Pusha T - always delivers greatness and he's gotten his props but he also has made some hits that didn't get the proper push to have more people talk about him
Tech N9ne - obviously a legend at this point and well off, but the man deserves some awards by now
Z-RO - if he had proper management, wasn't in/out of jail in the past and didn't get blackballed he would be pretty much in the same space as Kevin Gates right now, who is also dope
Spodee - if T.I. wasn't a selfish diva he would have pushed this guy and he would have blown up years ago for sure... he knows how to put together songs well and is passionate about his craft

I could go on and on for both categories lol

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 06:02:05 PM »
I don't agree with Cole, Kendrick, Meek Mill or Game being overrated and I feel they deserve their spots, however if someone feels the opposite I'm not mad at them and I could understand why

Overrated:

Drake - drops at most a handful of decent songs a year with the rest being ghost-written trash for the masses to be brainwashed by, but he does pay homage to some legends that others don't so he maintains some respect and integrity
Future - I actually fucked with some of his music from 2012-2013 before a million other people hopped on the bandwagon, still like a few songs here and there but he's redundant now
Young Thug  - this dude has been and always will be trash, and he's a blatant faggot yet somehow he gets a pass from people
Tory Lanez - I do like him on some features and he can actually RAP but I can't vibe to any project of his, too much autotune when it's not necessary and lack of direction
Post Malone - I saw him at SXSW way before he blew up and outside of 2 songs I never fucked with him like that, basically just a white version of the dudes named above combined
Kanye West - his first 3 albums and MBDTF will always be great but I don't see what others do in him nowadays, to me he's lost it almost completely especially since he doesn't even produce anymore and arguably doesn't even write his raps, so what is it that he does where he deserves credit? DJ Khaled puts together better joints these days lol
Wiz Khalifa - still releases some cool material but also a lot of trash that leaves you wondering what has he thinking, he needs to go back to the basics of what got him where he is

Underrated:

Freddie Gibbs - should be at the same level as Kendrick or Cole or bare minimum Meek Mill's level as far as being a 'street' rapper
Big K.R.I.T. - he's gotten his shine but not nearly what he truly deserves, once again deserves to be right at the same level if not higher than J. Cole since he raps and produces
Curren$y - on the low he was the most consistent artist of 2016, dropped 12 projects and all were quality products
Pusha T - always delivers greatness and he's gotten his props but he also has made some hits that didn't get the proper push to have more people talk about him
Tech N9ne - obviously a legend at this point and well off, but the man deserves some awards by now
Z-RO - if he had proper management, wasn't in/out of jail in the past and didn't get blackballed he would be pretty much in the same space as Kevin Gates right now, who is also dope
Spodee - if T.I. wasn't a selfish diva he would have pushed this guy and he would have blown up years ago for sure... he knows how to put together songs well and is passionate about his craft

spodee trash and a rat. fuck him!!!!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Blood$

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »

Overrated:

Underrated:

funny how when he was still Hustle Gang he was "one of the dopest out but not better than T.I." now all of sudden just because Young Dro's junkie ass said he's a rat you'll believe it just like that lol him and TIP are the real bonafide snitches of hip-hop, dudes speak on open cases on the radio and do commercials for snitch hotlines but let's not argue over those reputable facts *T.I. voice* and instead why don't you come up with some artists this thread is about and keep it on topic, homie?  8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:08:44 PM by Blood$ »

SuperSpider

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »

I should've probably mentioned in my first post that i'm talking about overrated/underrated in terms of people's perception regarding their ability behind the microphone (conscious lyrics, crazy punchlines, clever metaphors, hard to catch wordplay/references and so on)  

I agree with your Overrated list apart from the two rappers quoted above. The reason for that is that I haven't actually heard anyone say ''Yo Future/Young Thug is a good, quality rapper''. People (or misguided teens I should say) listen to them because it's dumb music that doesn't require a lot of thinking on the listener's behalf. No reputable source actually states that the new Young Thug album is going to give This and That legend a run for their money like they do for J. Cole for example. I do agree, however, that YT is garbage and Future is a hit and miss for making songs someone can chill to.

I agree with your Underrated list minus Freddie Gibbs (as in I think he gets plenty of recognition, especially for his last two albums). No idea who Spodee is, so minus him, too.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 07:28:13 PM »

Overrated:

Underrated:

funny how when he was still Hustle Gang he was "one of the dopest out but not better than T.I." now all of sudden just because Young Dro's junkie ass said he's a rat you'll believe it just like that lol him and TIP are the real bonafide snitches of hip-hop, dudes speak on open cases on the radio and do commercials for snitch hotlines but let's not argue over those reputable facts *T.I. voice* and instead why don't you come up with some artists this thread is about and keep it on topic, homie?  8)
I never said he was dope u a damn lie. he was average as fuck then and now. my nigga dope boy ra ra is up next though.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Blood$

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 07:42:29 PM »

I should've probably mentioned in my first post that i'm talking about overrated/underrated in terms of people's perception regarding their ability behind the microphone (conscious lyrics, crazy punchlines, clever metaphors, hard to catch wordplay/references and so on)  

I agree with your Overrated list apart from the two rappers quoted above. The reason for that is that I haven't actually heard anyone say ''Yo Future/Young Thug is a good, quality rapper''. People (or misguided teens I should say) listen to them because it's dumb music that doesn't require a lot of thinking on the listener's behalf. No reputable source actually states that the new Young Thug album is going to give This and That legend a run for their money like they do for J. Cole for example. I do agree, however, that YT is garbage and Future is a hit and miss for making songs someone can chill to.

I agree with your Underrated list minus Freddie Gibbs (as in I think he gets plenty of recognition, especially for his last two albums). No idea who Spodee is, so minus him, too.

I've literally heard people try to justify Young Thug in real life and claim "he's not all that bad, he has potential, just give him time..." and I just never wasted my time on that argument lol but I do see your point

I never said he was dope u a damn lie. he was average as fuck then and now. my nigga dope boy ra ra is up next though.

oh really?

he dope but not the best outta atlanta.

8)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:44:28 PM by Blood$ »

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »

I've literally heard people try to justify Young Thug in real life and claim "he's not all that bad, he has potential, just give him time..." and I just never wasted my time on that argument lol but I do see your point

oh really?

he dope but not the best outta atlanta.

8)

so. you want a medal? he ok but he was average. I said he was dope but not the best outta atlanta he is nowhere near it.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 09:15:17 PM »
over rated:  everyone on the radio

under rated:

L.a.m.b.
Action Bronson (word to elano)

Blood$

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 09:32:40 PM »
over rated:  everyone on the radio

Slaughterhouse got radio play  :-X

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 12:03:39 AM »
the rap game is oversaturated.....too many weirdos making music, ganga dope rappers get lost in the shuffle. too many 2 name.