Author Topic: What happens to Deathrow catalogue  (Read 3999 times)

SuperSpider

Re: What happens to Deathrow catalogue
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 12:57:24 PM »
Compton only went gold because it wasn't promoted .. Not even 1 video/single released for that project. A shame, actually.

I can agree on that being partially the reason. On the other hand, artists like Dre shouldn't technically even need a promo. Had he released Detox 10 years earlier, that shit would have been flying off the shelves even from word of mouth. People got tired of all his bullshit surrounding the Detox discussions and became especially disillusioned after he released a number of garbage tracks 2010-201?. Promo might have helped a bit, but I doubt it would've changed much if people just don't really want to hear your work.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »
another reason was the Apple exclusive for the first few weeks and then releasing the physical product weeks later when Dre's audience is a CD buying one, never got that logic ???

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »
Compton only went gold because it wasn't promoted .. Not even 1 video/single released for that project. A shame, actually.

I can agree on that being partially the reason. On the other hand, artists like Dre shouldn't technically even need a promo. Had he released Detox 10 years earlier, that shit would have been flying off the shelves even from word of mouth. People got tired of all his bullshit surrounding the Detox discussions and became especially disillusioned after he released a number of garbage tracks 2010-201?. Promo might have helped a bit, but I doubt it would've changed much if people just don't really want to hear your work.

Either way, gold without promo is very impressive in this day n age

2Relevant

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:37 PM »
If 2Pac was alive, he could drop a multi-platinum album tomorrow with Suge Executive Producing and all these newer artists would sit and watch in complete shock and awe --

Peeps need to stop living in 1994 tbh. If 2Pac was alive today he probably wouldn't sell shit either. There's plenty of legends who are still alive and releasing music nowadays and it all goes copper. The market's changed with the years, the artists themselves change with the years, hip-hop has changed too (going forwards or backwards is discussable).

If people want to play pretend that this and that artist who was alive in the 90s will DEFINITELY be writing similar lyrics, discussing similar topics or even have the same mindset 20 years later, then so be it. To me, that's just delusional.

sometimes i think most these people in this forum are delusional i agree 100% with what you said

love33

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 01:21:55 AM »
If 2Pac was alive, he could drop a multi-platinum album tomorrow with Suge Executive Producing and all these newer artists would sit and watch in complete shock and awe --

Peeps need to stop living in 1994 tbh. If 2Pac was alive today he probably wouldn't sell shit either. There's plenty of legends who are still alive and releasing music nowadays and it all goes copper. The market's changed with the years, the artists themselves change with the years, hip-hop has changed too (going forwards or backwards is discussable).

If people want to play pretend that this and that artist who was alive in the 90s will DEFINITELY be writing similar lyrics, discussing similar topics or even have the same mindset 20 years later, then so be it. To me, that's just delusional.

sometimes i think most these people in this forum are delusional i agree 100% with what you said

When pac died, suge went to jail, death row got dropped by interscope -- then the media blackballed the west and went to dmx, fat joe, busta rhymes, shyne, mase, mystikal, puffy... it changed the entire scope of the game goin from East vs West encouraged by media to puffy dancing in space suits and will smith gettin jiggy wit it -- so i have to say pac dieing killed pretty much the whole west at that time not named dre, snoop,or  xzibit

And the west kept delaying their albums because the East was on fire early 2000s, media was giving them the push and they had taken over all the dance hits...then 50, nas, dmx, cassidy, fat joe, ja rule, and jay-z all kept coming and they set the standard with the media -- if Pac never died, he might have ran the East with Death Row East and the West artists prob wouldve dropped  albums -- we wouldve got Crooked I and Dr Dre Detox -- but any artist not named Game wasnt getting spins, and Dre and Suge had cold feet about the West -- Dre was busy makin Eminem money and Dre never reunited with Suge, which wouldve helped but prob not the savier -- a lot of things changed is my point after pac

2Relevant

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 07:14:58 AM »

When pac died, suge went to jail, death row got dropped by interscope -- then the media blackballed the west and went to dmx, fat joe, busta rhymes, shyne, mase, mystikal, puffy... it changed the entire scope of the game goin from East vs West encouraged by media to puffy dancing in space suits and will smith gettin jiggy wit it -- so i have to say pac dieing killed pretty much the whole west at that time not named dre, snoop,or  xzibit

And the west kept delaying their albums because the East was on fire early 2000s, media was giving them the push and they had taken over all the dance hits...then 50, nas, dmx, cassidy, fat joe, ja rule, and jay-z all kept coming and they set the standard with the media -- if Pac never died, he might have ran the East with Death Row East and the West artists prob wouldve dropped  albums -- we wouldve got Crooked I and Dr Dre Detox -- but any artist not named Game wasnt getting spins, and Dre and Suge had cold feet about the West -- Dre was busy makin Eminem money and Dre never reunited with Suge, which wouldve helped but prob not the savier -- a lot of things changed is my point after pac

the west didn't get blackballed moron people just got tired of the redundant gangsta rap and that's what most of the west was doing at the time that's why they all failed after 2pac cause no one care anymore times were changing new artists were coming out and the east pretty much took over till the south came in and took total control cause again people wanted something different not the same o redundant gangsta rap Crooked I was and still is a nobody good artist but hes boring there was no Dr Dre Detox there was the aftermath album which failed again due to people moving on the people became interested again when 2001 came out and then afterward when the game came out cause he was a west coast guy who sounded east and different and connected well with the people that's why hes successful even today even tho  Kurupt was there he was still considered a nobody and then you got kdot

why in the fuck would Dre reunited with Suge?

love33

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2017, 12:00:32 AM »

the west didn't get blackballed moron people just got tired of the redundant gangsta rap and that's what most of the west was doing at the time that's why they all failed after 2pac cause no one care anymore times were changing new artists were coming out and the east pretty much took over till the south came in and took total control cause again people wanted something different not the same o redundant gangsta rap Crooked I was and still is a nobody good artist but hes boring there was no Dr Dre Detox there was the aftermath album which failed again due to people moving on the people became interested again when 2001 came out and then afterward when the game came out cause he was a west coast guy who sounded east and different and connected well with the people that's why hes successful even today even tho  Kurupt was there he was still considered a nobody and then you got kdot

I dont think you know what you're talkin about -- The whole media was against the West and they had no Major pushing records -- The Interscope pullout on Death Row hurt because they didn't just pullout but they went AGAINST Death Row who was the whole West -- and then Dre was slow to release records -- media was on that Nas vs. Jay-z -- and you had Young Gunz with "betta luv", Cassidy came out with R Kelly and "Get No Betta", Fat Joe droppin shit allover, Ja RUle, 50 Cent ft. Lil Kim "Magic Stick" -- that's the type of shit they were rollin with and it was HOT and they shut the WEST out completely -- if you were the dopest artist at that time (EASTWOOD is a sick rapper) you were shutout -- Even E-40 who is a HUGE MONSTER in the Rap Game today was struggling for airplay outside of CA -- to ignore that would be like you need to be fitted for a Dunce cap!

2Relevant

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »

I dont think you know what you're talkin about -- The whole media was against the West and they had no Major pushing records -- The Interscope pullout on Death Row hurt because they didn't just pullout but they went AGAINST Death Row who was the whole West -- and then Dre was slow to release records -- media was on that Nas vs. Jay-z -- and you had Young Gunz with "betta luv", Cassidy came out with R Kelly and "Get No Betta", Fat Joe droppin shit allover, Ja RUle, 50 Cent ft. Lil Kim "Magic Stick" -- that's the type of shit they were rollin with and it was HOT and they shut the WEST out completely -- if you were the dopest artist at that time (EASTWOOD is a sick rapper) you were shutout -- Even E-40 who is a HUGE MONSTER in the Rap Game today was struggling for airplay outside of CA -- to ignore that would be like you need to be fitted for a Dunce cap!

i would shut the west down too if the same music kept coming out people wanted change and that shit in the east was something different at the time
not to take away from these two artist
 EASTWOOD is a nobody
E-40 has some name value but outside of cali is a nobody

music is like a evolution you cant keep having the same shit it always evolves just like the mumble clone rap today it will die too that shit in the west was just a trend but you too stuck in the past to realize that gangsta rap and gfunk had its run time to let it go its been dead for a very very very very very very very long time and its never coming back :D

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »

i would shut the west down too if the same music kept coming out people wanted change and that shit in the east was something different at the time
not to take away from these two artist
 EASTWOOD is a nobody
E-40 has some name value but outside of cali is a nobody

music is like a evolution you cant keep having the same shit it always evolves just like the mumble clone rap today it will die too that shit in the west was just a trend but you too stuck in the past to realize that gangsta rap and gfunk had its run time to let it go its been dead for a very very very very very very very long time and its never coming back :D

everything comes full circle tho

dj coma

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
E-40 is definitely not a "nobody" outside of Cali. He's been putting out music for 25+ years and is still relevant. People outside of Cali like his music, trust me.

SuperSpider

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
E-40 is a household name, tbh. Definitely very well known out of Cali.
Eastwood, on the other hand, would have never made it to the radio (apart from some local radio station), regardless if the West was shut down or not. He's never really amounted to anything in the industry, just another guy making rap

2Relevant

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
E-40 is definitely not a "nobody" outside of Cali. He's been putting out music for 25+ years and is still relevant. People outside of Cali like his music, trust me.

as i stated before i wasn't taking away from the artist im just being honest e40 is probably the most relevant oldie from the west and keeps putting out good music and its true e40 is a household name only in the west but as far as today's fans they don't know him  and if he would go on tour outside of cali it wouldn't sell unfortunately

2Relevant

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 05:54:30 PM »
E-40 is a household name, tbh. Definitely very well known out of Cali.
Eastwood, on the other hand, would have never made it to the radio (apart from some local radio station), regardless if the West was shut down or not. He's never really amounted to anything in the industry, just another guy making rap

ive always liked Eastwood very underrated but as a brand hes a nobody and its his own fault he amounted to nothing just like most of the west

dj coma

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2017, 06:02:42 PM »

as i stated before i wasn't taking away from the artist im just being honest e40 is probably the most relevant oldie from the west and keeps putting out good music and its true e40 is a household name only in the west but as far as today's fans they don't know him  and if he would go on tour outside of cali it wouldn't sell unfortunately

I disagree. Younger hip-hop fans know him from IDWFU with Big Sean. That song was/is huge.

2Relevant

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 06:13:46 PM »

I disagree. Younger hip-hop fans know him from IDWFU with Big Sean. That song was/is huge.

as younger fans have the attention span of a house fly they already forgot since its already almost 3 years old but then again he doesn't have to prove himself his many many many albums speak for themselves if they would even care to look him up