Author Topic: RBX - HIBERNATION SHIVERS (Official Discussion)  (Read 6691 times)

Sccit

Re: RBX - HIBERNATION SHIVERS (Official Discussion)
« Reply #225 on: Yesterday at 10:43:15 PM »
RBX – Hibernation Shivers
Review
XL

I first listened to this album with skepticism when the homey Sccit sent it to me. I had a long drive to undergo in March and needed some new music, to say the least.  I purchased it off the Bandcamp website originally to support new music and artists and I am not disappointed.  Actually, I am extremely impressed by independent music.  This is the first album I have purchased in 10 years and it’s a great investment.  I started out buying cassettes and CDs in the 90s, then went to burning/streaming mp3s when the tech came out.  I continue to stream but will now also purchase albums again.  I have reviewed albums previously for other media and wanted to put my 2 cents in…   

Intro
One of my favourite beats on the album with RBX talking about and explaining the concept of the album; when the bear comes out the den, it’s out of hibernation.
Some good comedy at the 2nd half of the intro with a radio call in with Chuck D and the first mistake with Sisick (Sccit) name.

Let’s Ride
An old skool throwback jam that funks with the g-funk.  Good bass layers for the subwoofers on the production tip.
Classic sunshine track with some funk and lighters.

Hibernation
A very interesting and unusual drumbeat.  Almost sounds like a double beat.
At first this was passed over, but Ras Kass comes in with cyphers with a Rest in Peace (D) (M) congrats to (X).  RBX narrates the nature of the threat.

Midnight Drive
My favourite track on the album.  This is raw with RBX, Eiht, and Sccit striking the clock at the right time.
Production is on fire and very busy but it all chimes in.

Ragin Rod
Don’t know the background of Rod, but the character is funny after some spins.  Makes the old heads feel old.

Regrets
A classic RBX cut with some Scarface philosophy, train, and Latin samples.

Nightstalker
Slow tempo and drum beat that doesn’t fit Krazyie Bones fast flow and potential.
RBX does a good job of narrating the track and it has a classic Cali feel on the background synths and beat.

The Shivers
Great upbeat up-tempo cut with Crooked I killing the last verse and also a good hook to keep up with it.
Liking the chords on this one that fits the hook.

Memories
Great production and nostalgic flow for this cut with X and The Grouch.

The MoOn
2nd favourite cut on the album.  This is just a dope melodic song with Butch Cassidy blessing the hook and the subject matter is deep; for the thinkers.

Ragin Rod
See  before #5; some good comedy.

Don’t Lie to Me
I’m hearing some DJ – U – Neek influences with the production and castanets, and I like the song overall.
Spice 1 delivers.

Picnic Caskets
At first when I heard the single at Halloween I did not like this track (not a fan of horror rap in general.)
Too slow of a flow and beat for this head.  Not my sound.
This song does fit in with the sequence and I like it better than the original at Halloween.  “Picnic caskets” lines cut up was raw though!

A Billi
Good westside track!  Good production and a great chorus.  Feeling this after the fact.

Make Em Shiver
Great DPG sounding beat, but missed since neither Kurupt or Daz laid a verse.
This is surprising because RBX was on the Lil Eazy and Daz album and RBX laid a sick intro for The Legacy.  No blame to the producers tho, I heard DAZ wouldn’t commit.

Devil’s Deep
A slow burner and banger with some good bluesy production.
Really liked this after some time.

Stoner Mac
A good ending to this epic album.  RBX comes through with some relaxing production.

Gotham Funk
Some good jokes concluded about Sccit’s name.  It’s SCCIT {skit} not SiiCKit.  Got it.
Aside from jokes, some interesting production here with echoes and eery fx and some chords at the end.

Nightstalker – Restalk
This is a revised track of #7 and the production came correct with Krayzie Bone’s flow!
One of my favourite productions on this album.

Overall:  A great album that hits hard in the start of 2024; hopefully much more is coming this year for the WEST from this production team – new and old legends. Mastering is on point.

hell yea. always appreciate a thorough review like this.

:salute:

Mr. Sunshine

Re: RBX - HIBERNATION SHIVERS (Official Discussion)
« Reply #226 on: Yesterday at 10:57:21 PM »
when is it out on DSPs?