Author Topic: The Official Las Vegas Raiders of Oakland Thread  (Read 5909 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: The Official Las Vegas Raiders of Oakland Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »
It's an age thing for sure though like M Dogg said. I'm just a little younger and would've been 11 or 12 but I remember. LA was all Raiders, and I never even really knew anyone who was a Rams fan. It was like the Lakers and Clippers (obviously before when  the Lakers sucked and the Clips got good), if that analogy explains anything.  I would have loved for the Raiders to come back instead of either team.  But I wasn't a Rams fan when they were in LA before, and I gave them a shot but couldn't get into them.

Dogg brings up a good point about how much the Raiders were a part of the culture here, especially in the streets.  I remember how at school, they used to send us home with letters to our parents saying that they discouraged wearing Raiders stuff.

see, but how u guna tell me what i feel about something? that's what fucks me up bout people.. i'll repeat it again, i was a die hard laker fan in 94-95 and i woulda been devastated had they left LA .. i simply didn't care about football as much back then. if i liked football as much as i liked basketball, i woulda been following the raiders. but i didn't. it's a preference thing..take it from the man himself.
I don't believe I commented on how you feel or should feel. I just agreed with M Dogg. I understood the loyalty to the Raiders because I remember it and was into football at that age.

Sccit

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
I will say, you get into football at an older age. I wasn't into football until like, 9 years old. Basketball I was into at 5. I wanted to be Magic, Magic's smile on TV got me hooked. Football, I mean I liked watching the 49ers with Joe Montana, but it wasn't until Bo Jackson and the Raiders that I really got into it.

you might have a point .. basketball is the superior sport and much more appealing to the eye. anybody can watch it. football, u gotta really get into.

And that's a point that can't be argued. My 3 year old LOVES basketball. He was watching the NCAA tournament with me, sat there like it was a cartoon. He watches it with more attention than Disney... LOL And I'm not even lying on that.
yup .. it's why i still don't really relate to football that much, even though i follow the sport and watched most rams games this year

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 12:30:36 PM »
It's an age thing for sure though like M Dogg said. I'm just a little younger and would've been 11 or 12 but I remember. LA was all Raiders, and I never even really knew anyone who was a Rams fan. It was like the Lakers and Clippers (obviously before when  the Lakers sucked and the Clips got good), if that analogy explains anything.  I would have loved for the Raiders to come back instead of either team.  But I wasn't a Rams fan when they were in LA before, and I gave them a shot but couldn't get into them.

Dogg brings up a good point about how much the Raiders were a part of the culture here, especially in the streets.  I remember how at school, they used to send us home with letters to our parents saying that they discouraged wearing Raiders stuff.

see, but how u guna tell me what i feel about something? that's what fucks me up bout people.. i'll repeat it again, i was a die hard laker fan in 94-95 and i woulda been devastated had they left LA .. i simply didn't care about football as much back then. if i liked football as much as i liked basketball, i woulda been following the raiders. but i didn't. it's a preference thing..take it from the man himself.
I don't believe I commented on how you feel or should feel. I just agreed with M Dogg. I understood the loyalty to the Raiders because I remember it and was into football at that age.

Man, as a fan, I know it can never go back to that, but what it was for that moment, it was so perfect. Even if they moved back, it wouldn't be the same.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »
I will say, you get into football at an older age. I wasn't into football until like, 9 years old. Basketball I was into at 5. I wanted to be Magic, Magic's smile on TV got me hooked. Football, I mean I liked watching the 49ers with Joe Montana, but it wasn't until Bo Jackson and the Raiders that I really got into it.

you might have a point .. basketball is the superior sport and much more appealing to the eye. anybody can watch it. football, u gotta really get into.

And that's a point that can't be argued. My 3 year old LOVES basketball. He was watching the NCAA tournament with me, sat there like it was a cartoon. He watches it with more attention than Disney... LOL And I'm not even lying on that.
yup .. it's why i still don't really relate to football that much, even though i follow the sport and watched most rams games this year
I think that's why our opinions differ, and M Dogg kind of touched on it in his post after yours.  This isn't a criticism of you at all, but we just have different involvement with football.  I always liked the sport and watched it from a young age -- my brother and I both played it for a year (but we're just not the typical football size so heart can only get you so far) and REALLY liked the Raiders when we were younger.  So it was more about the team, more than the city.  So that's likely why the Raiders still had such a strong fan base out of SoCal even when they moved up north (and soon to Vegas), and even after a 20+ year drought without an NFL team, locals haven't been as enthusiastic about the Rams, especially when a lot of them didn't care for them when they were in St. Louis, let alone when they were in LA the first time.  Out of my friends in this area  who have season tickets, most of them are originally from out of state.  Like I said, I gave them a shot, having gone to their training camp as well as the one for their rookies (which was at that same facility in Oxnard) but I can't seem to embrace them. And it's not out of loyalty for another team, I'd just feel fake about it if I did it after all these years of not giving a shit about them.  They weren't my team when I was younger, so I'm not going to pretend to be excited.

Sccit

« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »

I think that's why our opinions differ, and M Dogg kind of touched on it in his post after yours.  This isn't a criticism of you at all, but we just have different involvement with football.  I always liked the sport and watched it from a young age -- my brother and I both played it for a year (but we're just not the typical football size so heart can only get you so far) and REALLY liked the Raiders when we were younger.  So it was more about the team, more than the city.  So that's likely why the Raiders still had such a strong fan base out of SoCal even when they moved up north (and soon to Vegas), and even after a 20+ year drought without an NFL team, locals haven't been as enthusiastic about the Rams, especially when a lot of them didn't care for them when they were in St. Louis, let alone when they were in LA the first time.  Out of my friends in this area  who have season tickets, most of them are originally from out of state.  Like I said, I gave them a shot, having gone to their training camp as well as the one for their rookies (which was at that same facility in Oxnard) but I can't seem to embrace them. And it's not out of loyalty for another team, I'd just feel fake about it if I did it after all these years of not giving a shit about them.  They weren't my team when I was younger, so I'm not going to pretend to be excited.

i get u .. it's not about the city to u as much as it is about the team. that's cool and all, but i see sports differently. they rep for my city, then ima rep them. it's a loyalty i pride myself on. when the team does good, the city does good. i don't really fux wit sports fans that selectively pick what teams they root for, even if they across the nation. unless they moved from your city or u got a family member that plays on that team, it'll never make sense to me.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
Again, I think it's an age thing.  Not saying that you're too young or that you'll understand it in five years, but it's really just different eras.

You said it yourself -- you didn't get into football until much later in life while also confirming that basketball is easier to get into, especially for casual fans.  Football tends to be for a more dedicated fan -- not saying that a sport like basketball doesn't have dedicated fans (because they do), but you'll see a different proportion of casual fans.  So that's probably why you don't see a shit ton of people rushing to Rams games, as big of a football market as LA is.  People were loyal to the teams of yesteryear, more so than whatever team shows up and plants their flag.  It would've been a waaaay different story if it had been the Raiders coming back, for reasons M Dogg and I have mentioned.

But it's not totally unheard of for people to root for teams that aren't local, particularly if it's one that is such a powerhouse -- look at the Bulls in the '90s.  Yes, I liked the Lakers because they were local (but also my older brother loved them and so did my parents), but I was ALWAYS a Michael Jordan fan, and my family was too.  So yeah, we rocked with the Bulls, and so did a lot of other people.  It wasn't just Bloods wearing Bulls in the '90s, it was a lot of people, but obviously it was mostly for MJ and not necessarily the Bulls as an organization, but one comes with the other.  And it's not like Shaq and/or Kobe didn't have fans in other cities but rocked the Lakers gear.

But that's the thing -- usually that out-of-state love for another team is usually based on that person appreciating a certain player, more so than liking that team over their own based off of the team's merits.

Sccit

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »
Again, I think it's an age thing.  Not saying that you're too young or that you'll understand it in five years, but it's really just different eras.

You said it yourself -- you didn't get into football until much later in life while also confirming that basketball is easier to get into, especially for casual fans.  Football tends to be for a more dedicated fan -- not saying that a sport like basketball doesn't have dedicated fans (because they do), but you'll see a different proportion of casual fans.  So that's probably why you don't see a shit ton of people rushing to Rams games, as big of a football market as LA is.  People were loyal to the teams of yesteryear, more so than whatever team shows up and plants their flag.  It would've been a waaaay different story if it had been the Raiders coming back, for reasons M Dogg and I have mentioned.

But it's not totally unheard of for people to root for teams that aren't local, particularly if it's one that is such a powerhouse -- look at the Bulls in the '90s.  Yes, I liked the Lakers because they were local (but also my older brother loved them and so did my parents), but I was ALWAYS a Michael Jordan fan, and my family was too.  So yeah, we rocked with the Bulls, and so did a lot of other people.  It wasn't just Bloods wearing Bulls in the '90s, it was a lot of people, but obviously it was mostly for MJ and not necessarily the Bulls as an organization, but one comes with the other.  And it's not like Shaq and/or Kobe didn't have fans in other cities but rocked the Lakers gear.

But that's the thing -- usually that out-of-state love for another team is usually based on that person appreciating a certain player, more so than liking that team over their own based off of the team's merits.

naah, its not an age thing, I'm telling u from my own experience.....if I had a family that was into football, cousins who played football, etc. then I woulda been into the raiders back then instead of the lakers. it just so happens that my grandfather and father were die-hard basketball heads before I was even born, so I followed in their footsteps. on the contrary, my girlfriends little cousins played football from a young age and were football fans from day 1. mdogg made a good point about basketball being more aesthetically pleasing. but still, I wasn't into football based on my surroundings. under different circumstances, I very well coulda been, despite age.

I dont fux wit people who only follow teams cuz they good....like bandwagon laker fans in the 00's, then heat fans in the early 10's, and now cavs/warriors fans. and if u like another man so much to root for a team based on that, I can't get down wit that neither. I like Kobe first and foremost cuz he was a laker. would I respect him if he played for a diff team? sure. but I wouldn't fux wit him like that. thats groupiesque to me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 05:50:52 PM by Sccit »

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2017, 08:31:41 PM »
But it's easy to say that because you never had to see it happen.  You never had to see your team move to another city, or your favorite player move to another team.  So you have the convenience of not having had to face that dilemma, and it gives you the luxury of being able to say, you were loyal to this team, or you only liked Kobe because he was a Laker, but claim that you wouldn't "fux wit him like that" if he went to another team.  We actually had to deal with that.

The reality is that anyone can spin anything to fit their narrative, and anyone can find a counterargument to why someone liking any given team for whatever reason is bogus.  Just like how you can say you think it's "groupiesque" to like a team because of a certain player, you could say that liking a team because your older family members did is because you fell in line and didn't make your own decision by picking your own team, almost like going to the same college that all of your family members went to or that all of your friends are going to.

I've never claimed to be a die-hard fan of any NFL team, I just like certain ones but don't pretend to be hardcore into them.  But that's why I like college football a little more, and it tends to generate more loyalty among fans.  Since it's a school, it's staying put and not going anywhere.  Transfers can happen, but players usually don't (unless they're further down the depth chart and want playing time elsewhere but those guys typically aren't generating headlines), so rosters generally don't change too much (or create a reason to sway fans elsewhere).  Players will put in their 3+ years, then move onto the next level if they're good enough, then there's new blood.

Just my opinion though.  Obviously ours differ but it's all good.

Sccit

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
But it's easy to say that because you never had to see it happen.  You never had to see your team move to another city, or your favorite player move to another team.  So you have the convenience of not having had to face that dilemma, and it gives you the luxury of being able to say, you were loyal to this team, or you only liked Kobe because he was a Laker, but claim that you wouldn't "fux wit him like that" if he went to another team.  We actually had to deal with that.

The reality is that anyone can spin anything to fit their narrative, and anyone can find a counterargument to why someone liking any given team for whatever reason is bogus.  Just like how you can say you think it's "groupiesque" to like a team because of a certain player, you could say that liking a team because your older family members did is because you fell in line and didn't make your own decision by picking your own team, almost like going to the same college that all of your family members went to or that all of your friends are going to.

I've never claimed to be a die-hard fan of any NFL team, I just like certain ones but don't pretend to be hardcore into them.  But that's why I like college football a little more, and it tends to generate more loyalty among fans.  Since it's a school, it's staying put and not going anywhere.  Transfers can happen, but players usually don't (unless they're further down the depth chart and want playing time elsewhere but those guys typically aren't generating headlines), so rosters generally don't change too much (or create a reason to sway fans elsewhere).  Players will put in their 3+ years, then move onto the next level if they're good enough, then there's new blood.

Just my opinion though.  Obviously ours differ but it's all good.

nope...I like the lakers because they rep LA. my family liking basketball just helped get me into the sport. I made my own choice, as I coulda been a contrarian like many and rooted against the lakers, or not even liked basketball at all like many of my cousins. it's not comparable to liking players simply because u have a thing for them lmao. thats borderline suspect to me. I mean, u can be a fan of Jordan's game, no doubt, but to be a fan of the bulls just cuz Jordan plays for them is the stuff that fairweathers are made of imo...you can take that how u like, it's just weak to me.

ur right about me never having my team move, thats why I said id deal wit it accordingly if it ever happens when u brought up that hypothetical. but I know for a fact that I would never root for a team based on an individual. to me, that defeats the entire concept of team sports to begin with. not about the name on the back, but rather the name on the front.

good point about college teams not moving cities, but players definitely get replaced quicker than they do in the pros, so its hard to have a continual allegiance to the actual build of a team, as opposed to pro teams, where certain rosters can be about the same give or take for close to a decade...especially in basketball, where all the good players are one and done.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »
Why you gotta make shit sound gay? Nobody has a "thing" for players, people appreciate athletes for their abilities, even in a team sport. Hence why the sports section regularly engages in top 5/10/20 NBA players of all time, and very rarely do those discussions revolve around what teams those players were on.

Sccit

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2017, 09:23:34 AM »
Why you gotta make shit sound gay? Nobody has a "thing" for players, people appreciate athletes for their abilities, even in a team sport. Hence why the sports section regularly engages in top 5/10/20 NBA players of all time, and very rarely do those discussions revolve around what teams those players were on.

to me, the point of sports is to root for teams first, not individuals. rooting for teams based on individuals defeats the entire purpose. but if that's what u on, that's your prerogative. i can't tell u how to feel brodie. i'm a team guy, and like players based on the fact that they play for my team, not the other way around. like i said, u appreciating talent is normal, but liking an entire team based on a guy u like will always be weird to me.

Space RockStar SkyStalker Machine

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2017, 02:52:23 AM »

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2017, 03:36:18 AM »

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2017, 12:33:41 AM »