Author Topic: MC Eiht - Which Way Iz West (Official Discussion Thread)  (Read 25277 times)

The Predator

Re: MC Eiht - Which Way Iz West (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2017, 12:24:36 PM »
MC Eiht :: Which Way Iz West
Blue Stamp/Year Round Records

Author: Steve 'Flash' Juon

There was a time when MC Eiht was one of the leading voices of California hip-hop, back when he and his Compton's Most Wanted crew were dropping one banging album after another, releasing anthemic singles like "Growin' Up in the Hood" and "Streiht Up Menace" in the process. Eiht (real name Aaron Tyler) always walked that fine line between portraying the lifestyle of a G as glamorous and dangerous. He always seemed to sound a cautionary note about the risks involved -- one time (the cops) could harass you on trumped up charges, rival crews could shoot you down in the street, your girl could stab you in the back, and you never knew who you could really trust. Paranoid? Maybe. Realistic? Definitely. Given his CMW homeboy and co-founder Tha Chill wound up behind bars for three years, he had every right to be that wary of "the life." Fans respected that authenticity from Eiht along with his smooth mellow West coast drawl and signature "geah" that punctuated his bars. Eiht repped Compton before Jayceon Taylor was even a teenager, setting the table for many peers to come along. It wasn't just Dr. Dre and friends putting Compton on the map.

A few years ago Eiht dropped a new album called "Keep It Hood" in an attempt to revive that legacy. That's not to say that Eiht ever retired or went anywhere, it's just that he became the O.G. on the block while the younger turks like The Game came up on the scene. Even now the wheel turns and Game is himself the O.G. while Kendrick Lamar and his friends are new generation giving a voice to Compton and turning an eye to what many would rather not see. The one thing I can say about our review from 2013 is that Emmanuel Wallace deserves an award for "understatement of the year" when he wrote "Eiht's voice sounds a bit more grizzly than in years past." Gone is that smooth and silky voice of the early 1990's, replaced now by an elder vet with a couple dozen years of drinkin' and smokin' completely changing his vocal tone. If it weren't for that signature "geah" you might actually have trouble recognizing Tyler as the same man. The irony is apparent when you listen to Eiht and WC together on the DJ Premier laced "Represent Like This." William Calhoun seems virtually unchanged from his MAAD Circle days, whereas Aaron Tyler sounds nothing like his CMW ones.

"Three two one, then the gats blast
One time swopped through kinda fast
Fast lane life so a nigga chase
All for the snaps, can I get a taste?
Break yo'self, geah, kill or be killed
in a land where it's f--k yo' side..."

If Eiht was "grizzly" in 2013, he's a straight up kodiak bear now. To be clear this is not a bad vocal progression in any way. It's not as though the change in vocal tone has made Eiht suddenly become a terrible emcee, and if you got that impression you need to shake it right now, but you also shouldn't be blinded by nostalgia and think that because you heard DJ Premier and MC Eiht were working together that they'd bring back that classic "Hood Took Me Under" sound you're completely mistaken. Primo's track still has the kind of bang and swang you'd want him to lace Eiht and Dub C with, complete with the signature sampling and scratching on the chorus, but for all intents and purposes this is a brand new Eiht. I'm half-kidding and half serious when I say we ought to call him Eiht Point Five. This is a brand new version.

The disconnect takes a while to get used to on "Which Way Iz West," and rather than giving us time to settle into the 2010 version, the album unintentionally reinforces the differences by pairing him with all-stars of the West coast scene. The Lady of Rage makes a welcome appearance on the thumping bass of "Heart Cold." Mr. X to the Z himself Xzibit comes bouncing through on "Medicate" and almost makes it feel like Eiht is dropping the cameo instead of vice versa. East and West combine more than just musically on the slow dripping vibe of "4 Tha OGz" featuring Bumpy Knuckles. At least on this track we have a comparable vocal progression because Knux too has changed a lot since his early Freddie Foxxx days. I'd love to offer you sample clips to hear it for yourself but unfortunately the album is embargoed until the June 9th release date, and "Represent Like This" is the only single to drop so far. I can quote you a few of Eiht's bars though. Geah.

"Niggaz still in the struggle, couple homies is losin
Broke niggaz is lost, simple hoes be choosin
Flashlights in my face, young niggaz be shootin
Pay attention to the flag, any side you're rootin
One first in the air, one hand on the strap
We just bust a couple of shots, they just do it for rap
Tryin to double up the bread 'til tomorrow is better
I get deeper and deeper, I express in my letter
Couple tales and inhales to pass the time..."

Normally a punchline like "Slick Rick on these muh'fu#$az, 'Lick the Balls'" would draw a chuckle, but Eiht delivers it in such a war weary way that it's not even funny - it's an admonition not to mess with him in any way. That's one thing that I do miss about the young Eiht and I just can't help it. Even when he was beefing with DJ Quik for all those years, there seemed to be a certain tongue in cheek humor to how deadly serious the rivalry was, as though he meant every word but still had to laugh because he thought Quik wasn't on his level. That beef died a long time ago but so too did Eiht's joie de vivre. Sometimes he can't help but be a little more enthusiastic on a track where he reminisces about the past, such as the Eazy-E sampling "Gangsta Gangsta" with Kurupt, but Eiht really is the elder statesman of the scene now and rather than running from the "grizzly" stamp he embraces it for all that it's worth. That makes tracks like "Pass Me By" with B-Real and the aptly named "Last Ones Left" reuniting with his CMW comrades worth your time to listen to. I'd really like to hear more of Eiht holding down tracks on his own, but if he had to do a bunch of collaborations instead, he picked the ones you'd want to listen to and the right production to lace them up.

Music Vibes: 7.5 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 7 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 7 of 10

Ebony Zebedee

« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »
MC Eiht :: Which Way Iz West
Blue Stamp/Year Round Records

Author: Steve 'Flash' Juon

There was a time when MC Eiht was one of the leading voices of California hip-hop, back when he and his Compton's Most Wanted crew were dropping one banging album after another, releasing anthemic singles like "Growin' Up in the Hood" and "Streiht Up Menace" in the process. Eiht (real name Aaron Tyler) always walked that fine line between portraying the lifestyle of a G as glamorous and dangerous. He always seemed to sound a cautionary note about the risks involved -- one time (the cops) could harass you on trumped up charges, rival crews could shoot you down in the street, your girl could stab you in the back, and you never knew who you could really trust. Paranoid? Maybe. Realistic? Definitely. Given his CMW homeboy and co-founder Tha Chill wound up behind bars for three years, he had every right to be that wary of "the life." Fans respected that authenticity from Eiht along with his smooth mellow West coast drawl and signature "geah" that punctuated his bars. Eiht repped Compton before Jayceon Taylor was even a teenager, setting the table for many peers to come along. It wasn't just Dr. Dre and friends putting Compton on the map.

A few years ago Eiht dropped a new album called "Keep It Hood" in an attempt to revive that legacy. That's not to say that Eiht ever retired or went anywhere, it's just that he became the O.G. on the block while the younger turks like The Game came up on the scene. Even now the wheel turns and Game is himself the O.G. while Kendrick Lamar and his friends are new generation giving a voice to Compton and turning an eye to what many would rather not see. The one thing I can say about our review from 2013 is that Emmanuel Wallace deserves an award for "understatement of the year" when he wrote "Eiht's voice sounds a bit more grizzly than in years past." Gone is that smooth and silky voice of the early 1990's, replaced now by an elder vet with a couple dozen years of drinkin' and smokin' completely changing his vocal tone. If it weren't for that signature "geah" you might actually have trouble recognizing Tyler as the same man. The irony is apparent when you listen to Eiht and WC together on the DJ Premier laced "Represent Like This." William Calhoun seems virtually unchanged from his MAAD Circle days, whereas Aaron Tyler sounds nothing like his CMW ones.

"Three two one, then the gats blast
One time swopped through kinda fast
Fast lane life so a nigga chase
All for the snaps, can I get a taste?
Break yo'self, geah, kill or be killed
in a land where it's f--k yo' side..."

If Eiht was "grizzly" in 2013, he's a straight up kodiak bear now. To be clear this is not a bad vocal progression in any way. It's not as though the change in vocal tone has made Eiht suddenly become a terrible emcee, and if you got that impression you need to shake it right now, but you also shouldn't be blinded by nostalgia and think that because you heard DJ Premier and MC Eiht were working together that they'd bring back that classic "Hood Took Me Under" sound you're completely mistaken. Primo's track still has the kind of bang and swang you'd want him to lace Eiht and Dub C with, complete with the signature sampling and scratching on the chorus, but for all intents and purposes this is a brand new Eiht. I'm half-kidding and half serious when I say we ought to call him Eiht Point Five. This is a brand new version.

The disconnect takes a while to get used to on "Which Way Iz West," and rather than giving us time to settle into the 2010 version, the album unintentionally reinforces the differences by pairing him with all-stars of the West coast scene. The Lady of Rage makes a welcome appearance on the thumping bass of "Heart Cold." Mr. X to the Z himself Xzibit comes bouncing through on "Medicate" and almost makes it feel like Eiht is dropping the cameo instead of vice versa. East and West combine more than just musically on the slow dripping vibe of "4 Tha OGz" featuring Bumpy Knuckles. At least on this track we have a comparable vocal progression because Knux too has changed a lot since his early Freddie Foxxx days. I'd love to offer you sample clips to hear it for yourself but unfortunately the album is embargoed until the June 9th release date, and "Represent Like This" is the only single to drop so far. I can quote you a few of Eiht's bars though. Geah.

"Niggaz still in the struggle, couple homies is losin
Broke niggaz is lost, simple hoes be choosin
Flashlights in my face, young niggaz be shootin
Pay attention to the flag, any side you're rootin
One first in the air, one hand on the strap
We just bust a couple of shots, they just do it for rap
Tryin to double up the bread 'til tomorrow is better
I get deeper and deeper, I express in my letter
Couple tales and inhales to pass the time..."

Normally a punchline like "Slick Rick on these muh'fu#$az, 'Lick the Balls'" would draw a chuckle, but Eiht delivers it in such a war weary way that it's not even funny - it's an admonition not to mess with him in any way. That's one thing that I do miss about the young Eiht and I just can't help it. Even when he was beefing with DJ Quik for all those years, there seemed to be a certain tongue in cheek humor to how deadly serious the rivalry was, as though he meant every word but still had to laugh because he thought Quik wasn't on his level. That beef died a long time ago but so too did Eiht's joie de vivre. Sometimes he can't help but be a little more enthusiastic on a track where he reminisces about the past, such as the Eazy-E sampling "Gangsta Gangsta" with Kurupt, but Eiht really is the elder statesman of the scene now and rather than running from the "grizzly" stamp he embraces it for all that it's worth. That makes tracks like "Pass Me By" with B-Real and the aptly named "Last Ones Left" reuniting with his CMW comrades worth your time to listen to. I'd really like to hear more of Eiht holding down tracks on his own, but if he had to do a bunch of collaborations instead, he picked the ones you'd want to listen to and the right production to lace them up.

Music Vibes: 7.5 of 10 Lyric Vibes: 7 of 10 TOTAL Vibes: 7 of 10

Thank you so much for the indepth analysis of this record. Eiht offered me a free copy of the album n initially I was blown away anticipating listening intently to every syllable. Upon reflection n due to a sensitivity towards negative and harsh truths I requested that Eiht not send me the album. But that in no way negates my love of the genre and my curiosity about the album. I struggle between a youthful fascination of the craft and a more mature hesitation in regards to dangerous realities. I try to be mindful that these are not my realities but reality none the less so try to refrain from labelling and criticizing and instead just admit that my intolerance of harsh truths impacts my reasoning when exposed. I particularly appreciate your commentary as it allows me to get a glimpse of the albums feel without actually feeling the full force of it.

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doggfather

« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Iowa1

« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »
The album is stellar.  I like the chemistry Eiht and Sinatra have.  The Compton to Venice Vol 1 and Vol 2 mixtapes are a great addition to this album (stated by The Predator in a previous post).  These two technically have 3 projects together and all the tracks from the EP are on those mixtapes (original production so I guess they are street albums).

sofdark

« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2017, 09:00:39 AM »
Fuck All You Muthafuckaz on here dissin me for askin bout the humanity of your favorite rappers and tellin me they just entertainers to you. MC Eiht sendin me a free copy of Which Way Iz West. If you dont believe me, check his instagram. This is a certified OG takin pity on poor ole me cos Im too poor to buy a copy. I been hypin that album on other websites and happened to mention all of you here and other folks anticipating and discussing it and he happened to pay me some mind and said he gon shoot me a copy.... im talkin for real.... you rekon these gangstaz dont have a heart, think again.... even the baddest muthafucka got love and heart and im braggin unashamedly.... can you imagine how dope it feelz that a made man, certified and respected by so many would actually give a damn bout a broke bitch like me? Im tellin ya guys, fuck all y'all for thinkin im soft in the head with my constant posts about the humanity of our favorite rappers... truth be told i dont even own a stereo but im gon bump this shit in my unregistered car and im not only throwing you all a middle finger im twistin two of em and payin respects to the west. Real Gz got Real hearts. And I hope every single one of yas cops that shit and loves it and feels just as good as im feelin right now.

MC EIHT IS A MUTHAFUCKIN LEGEND.
I DARE YOU TO DISAGREE.

What the hell are you talking about?

Marco

« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
The album is now available for pre-order in double vinyl (black and white colors) at Preemo's official website http://premierwuzhere.com

White will be a limited edition with only 100 vinyls made.

EDIT: White ones already sold out.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:42:36 AM by Marco »
West Coast Connection // www.dubcnn.com/connect // West Coast Connection

Dogg Ly Dogg

« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »
White ones are already sold out lol

Blood$

« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2017, 01:19:35 PM »
White ones are already sold out lol

yeah I seen that on IG and considered ordering it (and I never cop shit online) but then it was only hours later he posted it sold out lol

still loving the album too which is big for me because of how much shit I talked about it never dropping

The following users thanked this post: midwestryder

doggfather

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doggfather

« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2017, 01:19:39 AM »

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

sicaluffa

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2017, 03:35:29 AM »
I messaged that guy on eBay asking him why he's trying to sell them for that much, he said that he bought most of the copies. I called BS cuz you can still buy them on premier's website for $14. Hopefully nobody falls for this guy's scam.

DJSpin

« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »
Finally got my cd. This is doooooope!   I must admit I never really listened to eiht. Always been a quik fan so I chose that side, plus I never really got into cmw. Can anyone name some more eight stuff I can buy that's good?

midwestryder

« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »
Finally got my cd. This is doooooope!   I must admit I never really listened to eiht. Always been a quik fan so I chose that side, plus I never really got into cmw. Can anyone name some more eight stuff I can buy that's good?
check these albums out
CMW Straight check'em
CMW Drive by music
MC Eiht WE came strapped
MC Eiht Section 8

also CMW and MC Eiht both have greatest hits albums

Blood$

« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2017, 07:15:57 PM »
I messaged that guy on eBay asking him why he's trying to sell them for that much, he said that he bought most of the copies. I called BS cuz you can still buy them on premier's website for $14. Hopefully nobody falls for this guy's scam.

I hate fucking people that do that, like on Record Store Day when they go and buy a record for $30 then instantly re-sell it online the next day for $60

I can respect the hustle but let the real collectors / people who actually want to listen to it get fist dibs