Author Topic: Who should Pacquiao fight next?  (Read 1571 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Who should Pacquiao fight next?
« on: July 16, 2018, 01:46:57 AM »
Let's get the obvious stuff out of the way... Canelo-GGG 2 is the fight we're all looking for this year.  Pacquiao is getting old and hasn't had a fantastic record in his last ten fights since 2012 (6 wins and 4 losses), even though two of those losses were highly controversial and almost universally believed to have been Pacquiao victories.

Granted Matthysse wasn't necessarily an elite fighter, the reality is that he's won damn near all of his fights by KO/TKO and is no slouch.  His previous defeats were to pretty legit fighters (Viktor Postol, Danny Garcia, Devon Alexander and Zab Judah).  Not a bad choice for Pacquiao to fight after a loss.  But he looked pretty good regardless of who was in front of him, and I'd say he looked better in this fight than he did in a while.    Sure, his previous three wins (Vargas, Bradley and Algieri) all had knockdowns too, but he wasn't finishing them off, when he could have.  (Maybe he was still apprehensive about doing that because of the Marquez fight.)  Horn should've been a stoppage, but he didn't get put down once, and Pacquiao looked slow in that one.  He didn't in this one.

So who do you think?  He still has gas in the tank, and for once he didn't go a full twelve rounds (well, aside from when he lost to Marquez) and hardly took any punishment, so he can probably fight again this year if he wanted to, compared to previous years where his body took some damage over 24 rounds over the course of a calendar year.

A chance to erase his loss to Horn with a rematch would be nice, but I don't think people care much for that one, especially since Horn lost to Crawford anyway.  Plus chasing that is more to clear it from his record than making a good fight.

So Crawford?  Danny Garcia?  Spence?  Thurman?

This one is a long shot... but Pacquiao-Marquez V would intrigue me, far more so than any of the other guys, since they're all so much younger and fresher.  It would be a nice swan song rather than a stepping stone for the next up-and-coming boxer.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Who should Pacquiao fight next?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »
Pac would get absolutely trashed by any of the younger guys. Marquez would make way more sense just for his health.

Crawford rumors were floated around if he beat Horn. But Crawdaddy would put Manny in the ground.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 08:37:04 AM »
I think he would still beat Danny Garcia though.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 10:50:36 AM »
I think he would still beat Danny Garcia though.

Danny is too good of a counter puncher. I mean, I'd take any of those fights as a fan. I just think if Manny wants to see his grandchildren grow up, he should be careful before he gets in the ring with one of the young guns.

I like Marquez V or get a rematch against Horn.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »
Garcia is good but I think you’re giving him too much credit. It won’t be a walk in the park for either of them, but Garcia isnt really known for having knockout power. He has some of them under his belt, but a lot of the recent ones were against guys who had other losses via KO/TKO as well and not necessarily granite chins.

Marquez would be cool and with retirement he’s obviously had a lot of rest but I think he could get into shape without too much difficulty. I doubt he’d want to do it, but the way to do it would be to offer him like $10 million guaranteed and a 65/35 split. He’ll say no and want 50/50, then give him that and force his hand. Pac is still the bigger star but his popularity isn’t what it used to be, and 50% or that would still be good money for him.

I’m curious about Roach. I know they said a while back they weren’t going with him, but I wonder if that’s just a cover up if it’s a scenario where his Parkinson’s is a lot worse and maybe keeping him from training. Is he still training anyone who is still active?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »
I mean I would say between Spence, Crawford, Thurman & Garcia...Pac would most likely beat Garcia of that foursome. I still think Garcia would be favored. I just don't think Manny can hang with anyone in their prime in this division anymore. Nothing against Pac, no 40 year old should be hanging with the heart of the division.

I actually read today Marquez said he won't do a 5th fight. Claimed "there was 60 million on the table...but I wouldn't do it for 100 million". That's a bold ass statement lol. If that's the case & Manny doesn't want get stomped out, I see the Horn rematch inevitable.

That's an interesting theory on Roach. He's training some featherweight now. Not really familiar with that division but here; https://fightnews.com/roach-training-new-and-improved-machado/25270

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:09:08 PM »
I actually read today Marquez said he won't do a 5th fight. Claimed "there was 60 million on the table...but I wouldn't do it for 100 million". That's a bold ass statement lol. If that's the case & Manny doesn't want get stomped out, I see the Horn rematch inevitable.
It's stuff like that that makes me hate Marquez.  I'll admit that I'm a Pacquiao fan and want to see that one avenged, even though it was the one definitive win in the whole series.  But he chased and chased Pacquiao and got chance after chance after chance even though he claimed he won every time, yet when the tables turn, he made excuse after excuse.  First it was that he instead wanted a welterweight title (which is why he fought Bradley but then lost anyway so it was all for nothing), then when Pacquiao had it, he didn't want to fight and instead went after Alvarado.  I also remember him saying that it wasn't about the money but that he would do it for $15 million.  Then he later said $20 million.  Then he said he wanted a 50-50 split.  While I doubt that anyone offered him $60 million, all this talk of these numbers is stupid.  If he doesn't want to fight, just say that, but none of this headline-grabbing declination of high hypothetical purses.

That's an interesting theory on Roach. He's training some featherweight now. Not really familiar with that division but here; https://fightnews.com/roach-training-new-and-improved-machado/25270
Yeah, it just doesn't make too much sense for them to just have ditched him.  I know that Pacquiao wasn't thrilled before about some comments that Roach made about him after the Horn fight, but it wasn't anything too bad or demeaning.  But it's not unreasonable to think that this many years into fighting Parkinson's that it's really, really taking its toll on him physically.  And maybe they just don't want to out him like that.  Plus remember that a lot of Roach's bigger fighters weren't winning that much anymore.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
^Na, I definitely feel you on that Roach shit. I guess we'll find out this weekend since he's training Machado.

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:28:22 PM »
GGG

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 10:45:22 AM »
Riiiiiight.

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »
LOOKS LIKE ITS MAYWEATHER

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »

I think Floyd said that shit on fight night thinking that announcement would take away from the GGG/Canelo fight. He hates Del La Hoya.

I doubt this happens. I barely want it to happen. But like a fucking sucka, I'ma watch it if it happens.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 01:03:58 PM »

I think Floyd said that shit on fight night thinking that announcement would take away from the GGG/Canelo fight. He hates Del La Hoya.

I doubt this happens. I barely want it to happen. But like a fucking sucka, I'ma watch it if it happens.

mayweather finna take his first L