Author Topic: Suggestions for how white people can combat white supremacy  (Read 2278 times)

Ebony Zebedee

Suggestions for how white people can combat white supremacy
« on: February 14, 2017, 06:09:53 AM »
(Ive posted this on a few websites and have recieved alot of negative feedback, particularly obsessed accusations of failings of peoples in certain communities that suggests in some way they are the sole reason for many peoples disenfranchisement. Turns out people wanted to debate when my intent was to encourage people to explore viable means of combatting the practice and effects of white supremacy. Feel free to contribute suggestions as I hope to continue to further my own awareness so as to be better equipped in the future should I proceed. If you simply have negative feedback then I will assure you you are not alone and that there are many privileged people who do not feel this issue is of any importance)

I am very passionate about this issue. I feel it is imperative for white people (and I am white - and yes my real name is Ebony and no I am not sccits alter ego or alias) to be in the forefront of combatting white supremacy for many reasons.

First and foremost, we (white people) created it, therefore it is our responsibility to shoulder the burden and be on the frontlines of dismantling it. We can no longer expect those most at risk of it's effects to take sole responsibility for countering and combatting it's practice, both the subversive and obvious ways it is practiced in society.

Secondly, we benefit from it, both historically and in a modern day context. We have and do benefit from it in a multitude of areas. From economics to political policy to the basic foundations of what one may consider social norms, white supremacy has had an effect on practice, procedure, profit and perception. To allow this to continue, wether you agree with it or not, is in actuality condoning it. In order for us to truly consider ourselves equal we need to accept our failings and acknowledge the strength of those who have determinedly fought against the constraints of white supremacy since its inception.

Rather than argue about the legitamacy of white supremacy wherein you are inviting people to pose their beliefs of its necessity or counter your arguments with denials or accuse other cultures of being responsible for their own suffering, we need to centre dialogue and action around the wants and wishes and struggles of those who are most at risk of it. This in itself should be what causes you the most distress. To know your brother or sister of another culture is being threatened, simply for existing, should be cause for alarm. It should motivate you to educate yourself about their culture, their history, their many and varied beliefs and desires. It should not be a reason to just admit guilt and hope it resolves itself. White Supremacy is an ideology and in practice it has devestated entire cultures, cultures which persevere as you should persevere to combat White Supremacy and its effects.

Don't discredit the beliefs and cultural customs of those you term 'other' simply because you are not familiar with them. There is much to be learned and appreciated and accepted that does not fit the construct of that which you deem normal. Just as we benefit from cultural practices we feel an affinity for, so too should you value the truths expressed and histories shared by those who do not identify as white. Infact, the more I learn about cultures that differ from my own the more passionate I become in my desire to see us all valued and appreciated as the unique individuals we all are.

Recognize and accept that you are a member of an oppressor group and that denial of this membership is infact denial of the systemic oppressions this group imposes upon other identity groups. This is not a call to self hate, rather an acknowledging of privileges and the responsibilities one must accept they have in terms of dismantling a system designed and employed to create and continue a system of superiority which disadvantages others. It may very well be that same ingrained sense of superiority that has you feeling grieved at being termed a member of an oppressor group.

Educate yourself. Read victims accounts. Victims of white supremacy. This will 1: help you develop compassion. 2: enlighten you as to the extent of its practice and 3: help you to form more progressive beliefs about those cultures that are subjected to its continued practice.
Educate yourself about the achievements of other cultures. You may find yourself amazed at how many practices you once thought to have originated in Europe to actually have been creations and achievements of other cultures. This will help you to better value those too often referred to as inferior.
Ask your workplace or community centre to host a cultural awareness seminar or unconscious bias seminar to learn about the prevelance of bias and challenge it in both the community and workplaces.

Challenge the racist dialogue you encounter in your day to day life. Challenge your own misconceptions about other cultural groups that has you making decisions that are infact based on stereotypes rather than facts. Challenge both your conscious and unconscious bias and the bias others practice in all areas of society. From family and friends to the community and workplaces, bias is an everyday part of life. It is necessary to have uncomfortable conversations with yourself and others to not just identify the unconscious bias we practice but the outright bias in society and community that disadvantages non white cultures.

Interact in diverse settings such as multicultural community groups and ethnically diverse communities to engage with people from backgrounds different from your own. Get to know people personally, thereby challenging the beliefs we form through stereotypes which we believe through lack of personal experience. Engage with communities that are already fighting the good fight against white supremacy. Listen and act on their advice. Participate in and support these communities and organisations and peoples by respecting their leadership and do not in any way think you know how to combat this issue better than the people it directly effects. Donate to such organisations if you do not live in or near a culturally diverse area.

Everything I have written here I have learned from people subjected to White Supremacy. People who challenge it and have patiently explained to others their experiences and the best ways to combat it.
Be conscious of the words you use. Language is vital in communicating effectively and although you may think you are being an ally, just the term 'ally' can evoke images of a sympathizer which in itself is insulting. People dont want sympathy. People want action. People want change. So just as I intend to I suggest if you agree with anything I have written that you take the most important step which is to research and explore how to combat White Supremacy and how to support those who already are.

Calilove661 2ndIINone

• Lil Geezy
Re: Suggestions for how white people can combat white supremacy
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:18 AM »
(Ive posted this on a few websites and have recieved alot of negative feedback

Stop posting it then faggot.

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
good post .. Have you ever been to America? Wondering how race relations in Australia compares to out here.

Bacc II Baccas - Jason MRSA

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
good post .. Have you ever been to America? Wondering how race relations in Australia compares to out here.

Jus lik U 2 support tha Pedos and tha Gays!

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 07:54:09 PM »
You don't combat white supremacy, you just conduct your personal affairs in a manner that doesn't contribute to it. That is if you think white supremacy is really a problem where you live.

Caliluv213

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 06:32:07 PM »
(Ive posted this on a few websites and have recieved alot of negative feedback

Stop posting it then faggot.