Author Topic: Ricky Powell R.I.P. (hip-hop photographer)  (Read 272 times)

The Predator

Ricky Powell R.I.P. (hip-hop photographer)
« on: February 02, 2021, 07:57:31 AM »
Photographer Ricky Powell, who captured images of New York’s cultural greats and had a close relationship with the Beastie Boys, has died of heart failure aged 59.

His manager Tono Radvany announced the news, saying: “I just want to let everybody know he was a very special man, and he will be sorely missed.”

Powell was born in New York in 1961 and lived in the city for all of his life, mostly in Greenwich Village. He began taking photos in 1985, and developed an instinctive, off-the-cuff style; he described himself as “an iconic photographer, by accident”, taking “pro photos on a hang-out tip”.

In 1986, he got his big break by going on tour with the Beastie Boys and Run-DMC, having previously attended high school with Beastie Boys member Ad-Rock. This developed into further work for the burgeoning Def Jam label, including images of LL Cool J, Public Enemy and Eric B & Rakim.

He was immortalised in a Beastie Boys song Car Thief – “Homeboy, throw in the towel / Your girl got dicked by Ricky Powell” – but also focused on subjects beyond the hip-hop scene, photographing Andy Warhol, Madonna, Sofia Coppola, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, Vin Diesel and more.

He hosted a TV show, Rappin With the Rickster, for six years during the 1990s, interviewing stars including Laurence Fishburne and Sonic Youth. Numerous books of his work were published, and a documentary, Ricky Powell: the Individualist, was released in 2020.

LL Cool J was among those paying tribute, saying Powell “captured the culture”, while Rev Run of Run-DMC said he “took some of the greatest photos of Run-DMC and [was] a good dude”. Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest celebrated “his capturing of life”, and DJ Premier called him a photographer extraordinaire [who] captured some of the best hip-hop history”.

Rip 2 my man Ricky Powell. So NYC official... the parties when he would rock the slides.. the jokes and most importantly his capturing of life 🙏🏾 pic.twitter.com/qhinT9a10S
    — QTip (@QtipTheAbstract) February 2, 2021

The Roots’ drummer Questlove said of an early tour: “Powell was that older been there done that figure who schooled us to everything. Last day he told me ‘always save mementos & documents & photos’; I never forgot that.”

Jonathan Shecter, co-founder of hip-hop magazine The Source, described him as an “NYC counterculture icon – a quirky, hilarious and kind soul, the underdog you loved to love, a one-of-kind, original downtown force of nature”.

Ricky captures Eazy @ the Hilton 9-trey -

"I was going to interview Eazy-E at the Hilton Hotel on 51st and 6th for Seconds magazine. We were going to talk about a single he was putting out in 1993.

He answered the door with a huge blunt and said 'For you Ricky Powell!' I was like wow, this is going to be a fun interview. Basically I just went up to interview him and I brought my Minolta auto-jammy camera, my Pentax 1000 with this fish-eye lens and my camcorder video camera. He was very relaxed and let me photograph him while he was rolling more blunts and what not.

Eazy-E is a unique legend with a unique voice and style. This photo shows stuff that he was into...and weed. Since he was from the West Coast and I'm from the East Coast it was a interesting blend, especially because of my history/lineage of photographing rap stars from the East Coast." - Ricky Powell

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:07:59 AM by The Predator »

doggfather

Re: Ricky Powell R.I.P. (hip-hop photographer)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 10:33:57 AM »
RIP!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

Re: Ricky Powell R.I.P. (hip-hop photographer)
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 11:53:26 PM »
damn .. 59

RIP