Poll

Who You Got?

BATTLECAT
18 (66.7%)
WARREN G
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: BATTLECAT vs. WARREN G  (Read 1367 times)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re: BATTLECAT vs. WARREN G
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 04:02:20 PM »
Battlecat.
Warren G fell off since "I Want it all"

Jay_J

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 04:12:57 PM »
Battlecat.
Warren G fell off since "I Want it all"

Did you listen to "return of the regulater"?

im a fan of "i want it all" album. but ROTG is even better than it.

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Jay_J

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
and again, i should repeat, its not possible to compare these two cats. warren is an artist and producer who is worldwide famous. battlecat is a local beatmaker/musician.

these two guys are my heroes and mentors. i can certainly say their music saved my life.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2021, 06:29:21 PM »

I did! Sonically I like "I want it all" a bit better, because of the live instruments.  Return Of the Regulator is well-rounded tho. But even tho Warren G's last Mainstream hit is the Young Jeezy  song, it feels as if he is uninspired

Jay_J

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2021, 11:50:44 PM »
I did! Sonically I like "I want it all" a bit better, because of the live instruments.  Return Of the Regulator is well-rounded tho. But even tho Warren G's last Mainstream hit is the Young Jeezy  song, it feels as if he is uninspired

i didnt like "in the midnight hour" and "g-files" albums either.

g-funk era part 2 EP was also good album.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 08:10:53 AM »
i want it all is a near classic

return of the regulator is dope but not on that level

midnite hour was dope and underrated as well

g-files was pretty sub-par

Jay_J

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 01:36:28 PM »

return of the regulator is magnum opus of warren to me.

production is dope as fuck. every song is catchy. featurings are awesome: nate dogg, snoop dogg, mista grimm, george clinton, butch cassidy, kokane, wc, boss hogg, el debarge!

there is also a great production by dr. dre, ghostwriting by knoc-turn'al (on "keepin it strong")

there is no song to skip.

he must feel like he did his best and he cant do better than this. thats why he lost his motivation and did average albums after that.

i love "i want it all" too. it has a different vibe than "ROTR". i can honestly say "I want it all" album is one and only sample of its own genre. it doesnt sound like anything else. its not classic g-funk, not like early 90s not like late 90s. Strings , pianos and classic g-funk leads are completely out of production. most of the production is based on guitars, rhodes, keys and rnb groove. ROTR is kinda representing the early 2000s vibe of west coast. more strings are included, brass hits are on everywhere of the album, less guitar, more synth leads. also there are a few songs reminds us "i want it all" vibe like "yo sassy ways", "keepin it strong". its a 10 out 10 sample of its genre (early 2000s west coast hip hop).

i realised again with this discussion that how much i love warren-g and how much west coast hip-hop owe to him.

The following users thanked this post: Okka

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 11:39:48 PM »
Nice thread.. didn't know Battlecat did "Ghetto Jam".  Interesting story that Domino was actually the first Long Beach artist to break through not Snoop.  Yet nobody in Long Beach ever shows love to Domino we never hear of him.  I love Battlecat but Warren got a classic album he produced - G Funk Era.   Battlecat hasn't produced a classic album.  And Warren got three classic songs "This DJ", "Regulators", and "Do You See"--Battlecat hasn't produced anything as good as that.

Then if you look at the overall body of work... Warren's first 4 albums were all solid.  And his work wit the Twinz album, with Dove Shack.... and then all the songs Sccit mentioned...

1. Dre
2. Daz
3. Warren
4. Rza
5. Johnny J
6. Premier
7. Quik
8.  Battlecat

« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:59:57 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Jay_J

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 02:09:03 AM »

Okka

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 04:16:10 AM »
I'm goin' with Cat. Warren G in my Top 25 too though, but he hasn't really been producing that much lately.

Safe+Sound

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 10:04:42 PM »
Battlecat all day. Props to Warren G but BC's beats are too gangsta  8)

Okka

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 01:31:15 AM »

True. "In The Midnite Hour" is a great album too.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 02:18:55 AM »

I Want it All was a very solid album.  That was part of the West Resergence movement.  But I see Warren's albums decreasing in degrees (like EPMD LP's).  Every album he falls off a bit more.  So G Funk Era was classic.  Take A Look Over Your Shoulder is very underrated.  I think "Annie Mae", "Reality", "Smokin Me Out", "What We Go Thru", "Young Fun"-- I mean these tracks are a cut above anything on I Want it All.   Want it All was still a solid album though... Then Return of the Regulator had it's bangers... so it wasn't far off the mark either...

How come nobody ever shows no love for Take A Look Over Your Shoulder?  That album never gets mentioned.  It was a major release at the time with a lot of hype.  But none of the singles blew up so it only went gold.  But a lot of trendy white fans (non-hip-hop heads) were buying it around my way. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2021, 07:51:01 AM »
I Want it All was a very solid album.  That was part of the West Resergence movement.  But I see Warren's albums decreasing in degrees (like EPMD LP's).  Every album he falls off a bit more.  So G Funk Era was classic.  Take A Look Over Your Shoulder is very underrated.  I think "Annie Mae", "Reality", "Smokin Me Out", "What We Go Thru", "Young Fun"-- I mean these tracks are a cut above anything on I Want it All.   Want it All was still a solid album though... Then Return of the Regulator had it's bangers... so it wasn't far off the mark either...

How come nobody ever shows no love for Take A Look Over Your Shoulder?  That album never gets mentioned.  It was a major release at the time with a lot of hype.  But none of the singles blew up so it only went gold.  But a lot of trendy white fans (non-hip-hop heads) were buying it around my way.

take a look over your shoulder is an incredible album and underrated for sure .. maybe a near classic

but i’d call i want it all a classic. the production on there is better layered and more musical

too bad warrens last album was g-files

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »
While we at it, does someone here have the dirty full version of "Dolla Dolla Bill" by 213 and "Clownin" by Warren G and Nate Dogg?