Author Topic: DMX PASSES AWAY AT 50 YEARS OLD  (Read 2551 times)

BJV

Re: DMX PASSES AWAY AT 50 YEARS OLD
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2021, 07:00:24 PM »
RIP DMX.

I just watched that interview he did with N.O.R.E. on youtube "drink champs" a couple of months ago and thought it was a bit weird for them to have a recovering addict on there taking shots of liquor. Interview was real as fuck though he even talked about dying and saying something like if he died right now he'd have lived a good life.

Gonna watch a couple of his movies this weekend.

Westdog

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2021, 10:02:08 PM »
Can't believe 😞. RIP
This my town, I run it, you walk it
You just now learnin’ the game, I taught it

Game-Won

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2021, 12:08:09 AM »
R.i.P dog, may you have found peace, love u and thanks for all and everything.

He was one the few where I could relate, fucked up childhood, still trying to stay loyal and positive.. But always beeing a man, and truthful. - Fucking Legend, love u man.

One of very few childhood heroes i had left. - He keeps taking them...

RIP X, Pac, Kobe hope to see y'all one day. Thanks for the life leasons, and parenting I never received anywhere else.
"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe

The Predator

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2021, 02:22:08 AM »
If any one wants a link to read X's book, holla.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:15:14 AM by The Predator »

The following users thanked this post: Okka, DEKO, Marco

-Davizz-

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2021, 03:09:36 AM »
RIP DMX

The Predator

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2021, 06:05:15 AM »
DMX’s powerful work confronted an American hell of trauma and poverty

The rapper, who has died aged 50, parlayed his life’s difficulties into thrilling, combative, witheringly witty music

Listening to a DMX song from the late 1990s is like riding a wrecking ball through a gated community. The music video for Stop Being Greedy – one of many confrontational highlights from the rapper’s 1998 Def Jam debut, It’s Dark And Hell Is Hot – shows DMX hunting a wealthy white man across a mansion, before eventually feeding the poor soul like a T-bone steak to his pet pitbull; the rapper’s exhilarating, half-barked vocals gave the sense that he wanted to eat the rich.

It’s a song about the poor feeling so ignored that they have no choice but to confront the ruling classes (“Ribs is touching, so don’t make me wait / Fuck around and I’m gon’ bite you and snatch the plate”) and violently rip up their rules, and its message reflected an urge by DMX – who died on Friday at the age of 50 – to liberate a hip-hop culture that by 1998 had become too preoccupied with shiny suits in tacky music videos filmed inside a blingy Rubik’s Cube.

Stop Being Greedy was raw like Bad Brains’ Attitude or the Sex Pistols’ God Save The Queen were raw. It was a moment of pure punk defiance that administered CPR to hardcore rap, which was in stasis following the deaths of gangster rap kingpins 2Pac and Notorious BIG. By including at least four other songs (Get At Me Dog, Ruff Ryders Anthem, Fuckin With D, ATF) that could all qualify as rap Smells Like Teen Spirit moments on what was only his first studio album, X cut through MTV-era capitalism with the precision of Candyman’s rusty hook (blood and horror were all part of his work).

It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot and its sadistic yet brilliant follow-up, Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood, both reached US No 1 in the same year. With these powerful releases, DMX angled the spotlight back to those who had nothing in their pocket. He appealed to the underdogs and those who missed the frenetic, unapologetic energy of 2Pac, but also to white kids from the suburbs who needed a soundtrack for their Mountain Dew-induced temper tantrums. His conversational, often witheringly witty flow shifted from life coach pep talks to grave threats to enemies (“pluck you like a chicken wit’ your head cut off”). The music got bigger and more stadium-friendly as DMX’s career progressed across the 2000s, with urgent bangers such as Party Up, X Gon’ Give It To Ya and Where the Hood At each capable of starting a riot at a house party.

He also translated his magnetic alpha male energy into an underrated film and TV acting career. Whether boasting about being “untouchable” in cult gangster classic Belly, or tenderly dropping speeches about the beauty of growing orchids on the sitcom Fresh Off the Boat, he always lit up the screen.

The reason he barked like a dog in his verses was because angry stray dogs became rare friends during various spells of teenage homelessness; they also became targets of his frustration, with DMX earning convictions for animal cruelty. During his childhood, he said to GQ he was violently abused by his mother (“she knocked two of my teeth out with a broom”), and he never really knew his father. In a 2020 podcast interview with rapper Talib Kweli, DMX cried as he recalled a male mentor tricking him into smoking a joint that was laced with crack cocaine at just 13. It was a life-defining moment.

On the career-best, gothic trap fable of Damien, DMX – who struggled with mental health and addiction issues – scarily switches between his own voice and a demonic monologue. His twisted alter ego represented the pain he carried from this childhood experience, showing a constant conflict between embracing the darkness of suicide and the light of life. His thunderous expression on the mic sounded like a man venting and purging, and these brutally honest sermons gave his fans the strength to move through their own personal traumas (today, this soul-cleansing energy is continued in the US by rappers like Denzel Curry, Rico Nasty and Jpegmafia).

DMX trained his pitbull to bark ad-libs at terrified rivals during freestyle battles, fathered 15 kids, sold 23m records, totalled sports car after sports car, became a sex symbol in muddy Timberland boots, had Jay-Z open for him on tour, created a moshpit that looked bigger than a small country at Woodstock ‘99, and topped the charts with each of his first five albums. He was a force of nature, an all-or-nothing character who could be profound but also self-destructive, moving in and out of prison for petty crimes. Recent studio videos suggested a man more at ease with himself, relaxed and dancing to Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall in between finishing songs for a long awaited new album. His verse on the Lox’s 2020 single Bout Shit was also an undeniable return to form; that growl still blew you off your feet.

Before his tragically early death, DMX endured so many obstacles America threw at him, detailed in his lyrics: “You wanna be me? Here’s what you do / Grow up neglected by both parents and still pull through”. On Slippin, a warm, bluesy piece of self-motivation, DMX said: “To live is to suffer. But to survive, well, that’s to find meaning in the suffering.” It’s a lyric that tells you everything you need to know about the discography of pain and power that Earl Simmons has left behind.

-----------

R.I.P. DMX

Man do I hate starting out sentences this way, but rest in peace to DMX, rap icon who wielded the most unwieldy mix of bravado, raw intensity, heart-on-his-sleeve vulnerability and demonic horror in some great and idiosyncratic music. He seemed to appear to us already on top, shocking the world with a completely new sound and cadence. The growls, the chants, the gothic organs, the kids chanting about DMX like he’s Freddy, the catchy anthems that still get our hearts pumping today. But underneath it a sense of sincere anguish and struggle.

In his almost 25 years of music and public life he seemed to always be running from demons, on the brink of possible disaster, yet it feels impossible that they finally caught up with him. From the beginning he talked about pain and fear, he covered himself in blood on an album cover, talked about Hell, gave literal voice to his darkest thoughts, prayed to (and conversed with) God, read sad poems. But he was also known for having fun – praising his friends, driving around on four-wheelers doing wheelies and donuts (a trademark!), boasting, being funny.

And of course he had an action movie period! He just happened to be on the top at the right time to intersect with Joel Silver’s action-star-with-rappers-and-R&B-singers period. So he co-starred with Jet Li and Steven Seagal in roles where he just seemed like DMX, even if his character was, like, a hacktivist. I love that kinda shit – his screen presence was more exciting to me than good acting would’ve been – but he showed much more potential in BELLY, the one movie directed by music video legend Hype Williams. Not everything about the movie works, but it looks absolutely incredible, makes numerous interesting artistic choices and really does harness that raw DMX charisma in a powerful way.

I was so hyped for NEVER DIE ALONE, where he was the lead and stretching himself more, adapting a book by Donald Goins. It didn’t turn out to be what I hoped for at the time, and everyone else seemed to ignore it (though I have since seen it discovered and enjoyed by a few people). Like for most movie star type performers there was kind of a decline in quality, and he was content to just show up in random DTV movies on occasion, more cashing in on his name and face than finding good roles. And that’s fine. I can respect that. His heart was on the mic. Why not also play “Davie” in FAST AND FIERCE: DEATH RACE? I’m sure it was fun.

It was long known that he struggled with addiction and mental health issues that got him into reckless and inexplicable misadventures, but in recent years he appeared to have settled down a little. It seemed like the guy who on his first album said, “And I fear that what I’m saying, won’t be heard until I’m gone / But it’s all good, ’cause I really didn’t expect to live long” was aging into an old legend. Last year I watched him on that Verzuz with Snoop Dogg and it was electric to see the two of them celebrating each others’ life’s work, gushing over each other, dancing around like total dorks.

It made me so happy to watch them like that I actually tried to take some live screengrabs to capture the vibe

DMX had a belly like a retiree and seemed so humble and flattered, being self-deprecating, almost bashful about the compliments. I hope he was able to enjoy it and really understand how much the world loved him.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 06:12:44 AM by The Predator »

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

The Predator

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2021, 10:14:13 AM »
11 hours worth of content -

#BETRemembers​ the legendary New York rapper DMX, who tragically passed away at the age of 50. We honor his legacy by streaming this special marathon of his Ruff Ryders Chronicles documentary and interviews on BET. Double R For Life. Your legacy will live on.

Invincible

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2021, 08:43:49 PM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:12:06 PM by Invincible »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2021, 11:01:26 PM »
R.I.P.

Black Rob is in a seriously bad way in a hospital bed too.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/10/why-is-rapper-black-rob-in-the-hospital-social-media-users-wonder-what-happened/

I've been bumping "I Dare You", watching Slam, and listening to that soundtrack ever since it dropped.  That video and single was bananas.  For that alone I'm a Black Rob fan.. hope he pulls through
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2021, 12:32:34 AM »
RIP DMX.

I just watched that interview he did with N.O.R.E. on youtube "drink champs" a couple of months ago and thought it was a bit weird for them to have a recovering addict on there taking shots of liquor. Interview was real as fuck though he even talked about dying and saying something like if he died right now he'd have lived a good life.

Gonna watch a couple of his movies this weekend.

Yeah.. I should watch this.... be kind of surreal now that he's passed to watch something so recent.  Been bumping a lot of his music today. 

Another fun fact about DMX was that he was actually quite an accomplished beatbox battler before he became known in the streets as a rapper.. he sounds like he's actually doing the dog barks on "Stop Being Greedy"... pretty impressive track actually.  Noticing he does a lot of ill adlibs and sound effects on a number of his tracks. 
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Okka

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2021, 03:44:29 AM »
Yeah.. I should watch this.... be kind of surreal now that he's passed to watch something so recent.  Been bumping a lot of his music today. 

Another fun fact about DMX was that he was actually quite an accomplished beatbox battler before he became known in the streets as a rapper.. he sounds like he's actually doing the dog barks on "Stop Being Greedy"... pretty impressive track actually.  Noticing he does a lot of ill adlibs and sound effects on a number of his tracks.

He did the dog barks himself. He also did the voice of Damien.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2021, 04:29:40 AM »
RIP to one of the greats

He basically ran rap for a few years starting in '98

The following users thanked this post: Marco

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2021, 04:30:53 PM »
He did the dog barks himself. He also did the voice of Damien.

Yeah I thought that was him on the dog barks because he was in a lot of interviews talking about how actually he was known around the way as a beatboxer before anyone else.  Those barks are vicious. 

Him spitting like Damien kind of reminds me of Biggie on "Gimmee the Loot". 

On a side note another under-rated beatbox is actually Eminem.  On the Slim Shady LP he's doing a whole range of sound effects and adlibs on his own if you pay attention.  My all time favorites as far as that goes...

Beatboxing

1. Biz Markie  - (obviously nobody beats the Biz)
2. ODB -  A lot of great adlibs on Wu tracks and then there's some good pieces on youtube of him beatboxing. Like DMX he was kind of known coming up as a beatbox as well.
3. Eminem -  Check out the Slim Shady LP and you will hear him with a range of sounds.  Lesser appreciated part of his repertoire. Like for example listen to "Cum On Everybody" and I think he also did the iconic scratch sound for "My Name Is"
4. DMX - the barks on "Stop Being Greedy" are viscous and many interviews of him talking about being known around the way as a beatbox before he got known as a rapper
5.  Doug E Fresh - got to give it up to the man who did "Lodi Dodi" probably the most famous beatbox track of all rhyme
6.  Rahzel - Not actually a fan of the Roots but a big fan of Bonz Malone and Marc Levin so I watched the movie that starred Black Thought called Brooklyn Babylon and Rahzel did the narration.  Incredible beatbox skillz
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:12:42 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

doggfather

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2021, 12:43:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

The following users thanked this post: Okka, Marco

Proc pka KP

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2021, 02:42:49 AM »
Anyone ever see the story of his pre hip hop cash making scheme using his pit against drug dealers?