Author Topic: Dj Quik Talks About His Legacy  (Read 344 times)

Jay_J

Dj Quik Talks About His Legacy
« on: April 15, 2021, 01:13:12 AM »
On his IG story, quik says "I'm the second most important architect of the West Coast hip-hop sound"

what do you think? do you agree?

Re: Dj Quik Talks About His Legacy
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 03:00:26 AM »
Quiks legacy is that he won't release dope shit because he feels underappreciated and underrated (which he is) compared to how much he put in.

DR sound wouldn't be the same without him and who knows where his career would've been if people had actually known and he wasn't signed as David Blake instead of DJ Quik.

Jay_J

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 05:25:00 AM »
Quiks legacy is that he won't release dope shit because he feels underappreciated and underrated (which he is) compared to how much he put in.

DR sound wouldn't be the same without him and who knows where his career would've been if people had actually known and he wasn't signed as David Blake instead of DJ Quik.

what do you mean with "DR" sound?

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 07:24:09 AM »
Quik was the in house engineer and a lot of the beats you hear had his uncredited production hallmarks all over them as he added in extra layers and generally bought beats to life. Its why so many tracks on DR all had that "jazzy" sound and swing, no matter who produced them, because Quik was at work behind the scenes, and this created a house sound like how Motown had before.

Most people to this day don't have a clue about how important he was to the label. In terms of talent and pure technical ability he makes Dre look like a beat biting peon who relies on other peoples ideas which he hones into hits whilst Quik does it all by himself and freely shares his talent without caring about the props. Listen to In Da Club by 50 - that's Quik's work as he retooled what Dre had done to turn it into what we know, same thing he did at DR - laced it with sprinkles:

Compare that to Dre's usual production from the era and its easy to spot what he did. Thing is Quik needs someone to reign him in as he usually just keeps on adding layers and layers of stuff to his beats until they're overproduced as he's never satisfied its enough. Him and Dre are really alike in many ways except their processes are totally different. 

BJV

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 04:40:20 PM »
Quik was the in house engineer and a lot of the beats you hear had his uncredited production hallmarks all over them as he added in extra layers and generally bought beats to life. Its why so many tracks on DR all had that "jazzy" sound and swing, no matter who produced them, because Quik was at work behind the scenes, and this created a house sound like how Motown had before.

Most people to this day don't have a clue about how important he was to the label. In terms of talent and pure technical ability he makes Dre look like a beat biting peon who relies on other peoples ideas which he hones into hits whilst Quik does it all by himself and freely shares his talent without caring about the props. Listen to In Da Club by 50 - that's Quik's work as he retooled what Dre had done to turn it into what we know, same thing he did at DR - laced it with sprinkles:

Compare that to Dre's usual production from the era and its easy to spot what he did. Thing is Quik needs someone to reign him in as he usually just keeps on adding layers and layers of stuff to his beats until they're overproduced as he's never satisfied its enough. Him and Dre are really alike in many ways except their processes are totally different.

I don't know where you get your info from but it seems you're greatly exaggerating DJ Quik's involvement in Deathrow Records. He worked on All Eyez On Me on mixing and producing but definitely not on every song. He also produced and performed on the Murder Was The Case soundtrack (on 2 songs) and he worked on Above the Rim.

On In Da Club Quik is only credited for doing percussion, he probably made the drum loop or provided the drum samples or played the shakers, Mike Elizondo played all the instruments and Dre mixed it.

On topic: DJ Quik really is a musicians musician he has respect from his peers in the industry everybody knows when he released Rhythm-al-ism that that was the best mixed hiphop album ever at that time until Dre came out with 2001.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:53:06 PM by BJv »

The following users thanked this post: D-TalkX, bigwave420

Safe+Sound

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 05:20:43 PM »
Quik actively applies math and science to his work. He understands the technical engineering aspects behind music. Most artists have to sub-contract that kind of technical expertise to college graduates in the field. Quik is self-sufficient and has a superior understanding of production. I'm sure he's also saved a TON of money knowing what he knows. The man is an architect, a master craftsman, and a musical scholar - the thinking man's artist. DJ Quik has my props forever. A true legend and just a bad motherfucker.  8)

The following users thanked this post:

Jay_J

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 03:09:08 AM »

quik might be underrated but, no need to overrate and exxaggerate him. his legacy doesnt need it. he is big enough.

he didn't no anything on "in da club". he just brought some drum kits to Dre and dre used them on both "in da club" and "if i can't".

i just learned that he mixed/mastered lights out of westside connection which is produced by damizza. but he gets no credits. damizza told it in an interview.

also when it comes to if quik is the second most important architect of the west coast hip-hop sound. i don't agree. i can tell the same for battlecat. these two guys are not from this planet earth and they created their own genre in west coast hip hop and others felt like "how come they can do this! we can't" so nobody followed the way they make beats. they followed dre, daz and jhonny j. today dj quk is the best when it comes to compose percussions but he learned it from daz. daz was the architect of making percussions important in g-funk. jhonny j brought live guitars live bass compositions and slap back grooves. no need to talk about dre. he brought everything to the table. not just once.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 05:16:22 AM »
LOL who do you think was doing all of the percussion work on Dazs tracks at DR? Why have Dazs solo beats never hit that pinnacle again and the closest he ever got was working with Mike Dean (who is almost as talented/multi proficient as Quik). This is what Daz actually produced, minus the Quikstrumental:

Mike Dean is actually responsible for ghostproducing hits and elevating so many other producers jams but unlike Quik he doesn't stay quiet about it and admitted it online before.

There's no point arguing this with you people (you people?) because its obvious from the fake wannabe Dre beats and how you people (you people?) respond you haven't got a clue about production and don't really know how to listen to whats in front of your ears. Keep believing the hype. 

You people are all the same.

Jay_J

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 01:55:25 PM »
LOL who do you think was doing all of the percussion work on Dazs tracks at DR? Why have Dazs solo beats never hit that pinnacle again and the closest he ever got was working with Mike Dean (who is almost as talented/multi proficient as Quik). This is what Daz actually produced, minus the Quikstrumental:

Mike Dean is actually responsible for ghostproducing hits and elevating so many other producers jams but unlike Quik he doesn't stay quiet about it and admitted it online before.

There's no point arguing this with you people (you people?) because its obvious from the fake wannabe Dre beats and how you people (you people?) respond you haven't got a clue about production and don't really know how to listen to whats in front of your ears. Keep believing the hype. 

You people are all the same.

i'm talking according to booklet. you should know the difference between a mix engineer and co-producer. however i can call mysef a producer/beatmaker because i do it  for more then 15 years. so i have a clue about production trust me. i studied all these cats whole my life.

About mike dean, in booklet it says produced by daz dillinger and mike dean. so it makes sense.

if quik is not credited for some songs that he co-produced it means he is not smart enough. however bringing a few drum kits to the table doesnt make you a producer or mix engineering a song doesnt make you a producer.

by the way i always thought quik did the percuisson in skandalous for whole song band also the talkbox on chorus. but never seen his name on credits. but i remember what daz produced on his own before all eyes on me project. you can check "dogg food" and "murder was the case ost" especially. so for me no doubt daz influenced quik on the percussion side of the production.

if you ask me which of em is the best producer, of course it is quik. eminem is one of my all time favorites but he says treach influenced him more than anybody. but that doesnt make treach better than em. you should know the story that cold187um invented g-funk and influenced dr. dre to work on it and developed it. i hope you get what i mean.

We both love quik no doubt. no need to fight.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 02:19:48 PM »
No fighting, just observation. Quik was rolling with Suge back when he was still a bodyguard, he was on deck when DR was being put together. Listen to this:

What Daz actually made sounds like that AAR demo. All of the melodic flourishes on there are all Quik.

Either you can hear a producers signature, or you can't. To me it was obvious from the first spin who did what and the fact that no solo Daz production has ever came close to this level of perfect balance, layers and swing (all Quik trademarks) should offer you a clue.

Jay_J

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 03:21:29 PM »
do you claim that quik co produced and mixed "respect", "what would you do" and "let's play house"?