Author Topic: The Snooper Dooper Challenge  (Read 1469 times)

The Snooper Dooper Challenge
« on: April 24, 2021, 04:10:33 AM »
Here's how The Snooper Dooper Challenge works:

You can use any material, released or unreleased, from his entire discography (except Doggstyle) to compile one 21 track "album" that you feel is on par with his debut. Lets see you put your MP3s where your Stan like tendencies is to see if reality matches up to the hype.

No playlist, youtube links or text. We're talking about straight audio here so compile, upload a ZIP and drop a link.

I'll personally listen to each mix and give you a real, no chill perspective on what you picked. Here's something to think about:

Doggfather was universally panned as an astronomical fall off compared to Doggstyle but in retrospect its one of Snoops best, most cohesive and creative projects. An album that whilst not as catchy or memorable as his debut is still miles ahead of anything he made since.

With that said, on with The Snooper Dooper Challenge. Get your computers putin...

OG Snoopaveli

Re: The Snooper Dooper Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »
i'm down wit it.
i'm postin' some soon.
I'm not saying it would be better or as good as Doggystyle but a dope album. Trying to mix every Snoop era and not putting 4/5 tracks from Eastsidaz or DoggFather or Last Meal.

The following users thanked this post:

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 10:22:48 AM »

https://www55.zippyshare.com/v/ZoDMNn12/file.html

Here it is. Tell me what u think of it. I'm thinkin' of makin' one with all the Welcome 2 Tha Chuuch mixtape

8) 8)

The following users thanked this post: , Hellquist

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 10:32:33 AM »
Downloading now, will let it spin from end to end like the old album experience and share my thoughts.

The following users thanked this post: OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 01:55:23 PM »
OG, that was quite good. First off the album was well sequenced as the tracks flowed nicely into one another which adds to the experience.

Death Row Snoop is so far ahead of the other eras and this compilation shows that, Too High, 21 Jumpstreet and Midnight Love flow so well but the drop off when Show Me Love kicks in is so evident. In terms of production, mixing, his lyrics, flow - all of it.

One thing I did notice from this is that Snoop definitely needs someone to keep him in check. His DR stuff is much tighter because it had to be, Suge was finna unleash a Joe Jackson ass whipping for dropping wack bars and the further you get into his releases the looser and looser Snooper gets. Overall I'd say I still stick to my opinion that Snoop has never managed to find as good a stylistic fit as he did with DR. Just realized that Snoop is similar to Camron in that sense whose fall off after the Roc was legendary but people keep him around for entertainment and his early impact on the game. Just like Snoop its obvious Cam is cheap in the studio with low quality mics, mixing and beats.

Comparing this to Doggfather I'd say that was a better album which speaks volumes about the quality of Snoops output between 96 and now. Would you agree or disagree with that?

Who's next on the Snooper Dooper Challenge? 21 tracks of your choice taken from anywhere but Doggystyle...

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »
Thanks man.
Yeah Snoop need someone to manage him. He can't stay focus on a full project. His beats selection is awful lately... malice n wonderland, coolaid, neva left, from da street... but i respect his choice... he had nothing to prove.
Snoop is a OG in da game.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:03:12 PM by OG Snoopaveli »

goodyoung

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 11:13:23 PM »
The problem with The Doggfather wasn't just it being a disappointing follow up to Doggystyle, it was a pretty mediocre album overall, expect for like 4-5 great songs and it's definitely not an example of a tight album. Snoop has several albums much better than that.
But yeah, he needs somebody to keep him in check, and nobody does it better than Dre. Every time Dre's overseeing Snoop's project, the result we get is good/great as evident by Doggystyle/Murder Was The Case/ Dogg Food, Tha Last Meal and The Blue Carpet Treatment

So, ok, here's the compilation. I've excluded all of his DR post-Doggystyle tracks cause it didn't seem fair to me to include those.

https://www68.zippyshare.com/v/QxdZ73KX/file.html

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 02:08:30 AM »
No doubt, Snoop likes to include 21 tracks so he can give props but that doesn't mean he always picks the best 21. Doggfather is a great example of that as he left some of his strongest tracks on the cutting room floor and had that album been retooled it would've been less of a flop.

Even with Dre around I don't think Snoop could've topped Doggystyle, in fact having Dre around would've made it worse because you know how he is when it comes to performance anxiety and following up a smash so either way he was going to fall off. Just didn't think he'd do it so consistently.

There was a great thread on here once about Doggfather and the incarnations it went through and it truly was a baffling process to look inside Snoops mind. Decades later and many questionable career choices later it shows that he is consistent if nothing less. I do get the feeling he's like one of those old hippy types that have smoked their brains out when it comes to logic, direction and purpose so they just mooch around living off old glories.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 02:47:43 AM »
Wooo, this is pretty hot. Once again excellent track order and not having that obvious quality shift between DR and the rest makes it coherent and this allows me to compare each song to the other more fairly on its own merits. The opening into into Bang Out is woooo, had my head nodding like that kid with Beats headphones.

One thing I did notice is that either Snoop was very vicious with the pen on DR or whoever he had ghosting for him (DOC?) didn't leave the label with him as the lyrics on most of these songs isn't in rewind and listen again territory. Speaking of lyrics, man Snoop really talks about a whole load of nothing but makes it sound quite fly with his flow. Loads of the songs are about exactly the same tropes. Dre is also guilty of that and whilst Pac did the whole Hennnnnessseeeeyyyyyyy and eneeeeeemmmieeeeesssss with the occasional eellleemmmennnntaarrry and pennnnitentiiaaarryyyy he at lost spoke on a diverse range of topics and perspectives.

Snoop is just a rich weed smoker super crip slash part time pimp and literally every single one of his songs has a sprinkle of some or all of these memes in there.

Back to the album, ending with Y'all Gone Miss Me. Woooo! The beat and hook alone make this song a banger and when it dropped as a leak way back when I remember thinking "Yep, Snoop is right" as he hadn't done quite as much silly sell out ish yet. I just don't get why talented people would just half ass it and throw out lazy tracks when you could make something so much better but then with Snoop its always been about the quick flip for whoever cuts the fattest check.

Think I'll have to listen to Blue Carpet as it seems there are some bangers on there. Was it seen as a return to form round here?

Whose next with the Snooper Dooper Challenge. Step left up. Yeah that's the G side.

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 03:01:14 AM »
The problem with The Doggfather wasn't just it being a disappointing follow up to Doggystyle, it was a pretty mediocre album overall, expect for like 4-5 great songs and it's definitely not an example of a tight album. Snoop has several albums much better than that.
But yeah, he needs somebody to keep him in check, and nobody does it better than Dre. Every time Dre's overseeing Snoop's project, the result we get is good/great as evident by Doggystyle/Murder Was The Case/ Dogg Food, Tha Last Meal and The Blue Carpet Treatment

So, ok, here's the compilation. I've excluded all of his DR post-Doggystyle tracks cause it didn't seem fair to me to include those.

https://www68.zippyshare.com/v/QxdZ73KX/file.html

U have to put the Nate Dogg version of Boss Life homie.

goodyoung

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 03:54:43 AM »
U have to put the Nate Dogg version of Boss Life homie.
Lmao bruh I totally did! His version is in the file, but I took a screenshot before I replaced Akon version with his ;D

goodyoung

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 05:19:18 AM »
No doubt, Snoop likes to include 21 tracks so he can give props but that doesn't mean he always picks the best 21. Doggfather is a great example of that as he left some of his strongest tracks on the cutting room floor and had that album been retooled it would've been less of a flop.

Even with Dre around I don't think Snoop could've topped Doggystyle, in fact having Dre around would've made it worse because you know how he is when it comes to performance anxiety and following up a smash so either way he was going to fall off. Just didn't think he'd do it so consistently.

There was a great thread on here once about Doggfather and the incarnations it went through and it truly was a baffling process to look inside Snoops mind. Decades later and many questionable career choices later it shows that he is consistent if nothing less. I do get the feeling he's like one of those old hippy types that have smoked their brains out when it comes to logic, direction and purpose so they just mooch around living off old glories.
Absolutely. All of his 21 track albums have the same problem - one half is crazy, the other one wack or mediocre. Doggfather could've been a decent follow up to his debut had it been cut to about 14 tracks with all the wack shit left out and some new tracks added, such as Street Life. 

Yo that would be a good read, any idea if the thread still up?

Wooo, this is pretty hot. Once again excellent track order and not having that obvious quality shift between DR and the rest makes it coherent and this allows me to compare each song to the other more fairly on its own merits. The opening into into Bang Out is woooo, had my head nodding like that kid with Beats headphones.

Back to the album, ending with Y'all Gone Miss Me. Woooo! The beat and hook alone make this song a banger and when it dropped as a leak way back when I remember thinking "Yep, Snoop is right" as he hadn't done quite as much silly sell out ish yet. I just don't get why talented people would just half ass it and throw out lazy tracks when you could make something so much better but then with Snoop its always been about the quick flip for whoever cuts the fattest check.

Think I'll have to listen to Blue Carpet as it seems there are some bangers on there. Was it seen as a return to form round here?

Glad you liked it.
Yeah, you should definitely check out The Blue Carpet, definitely one of his stronger ones and just a good album overall. Though it still suffers from that very same problem, the first half is mostly dope, the second one is filled with tracks like Beat Up on Yo Pads, when he could've used tracks like Wanna Be's with Nate instead of that smh...
But at least he was smart enough to include Imagine, that record really helped the album.

And I would also recommend to give Tha Last Meal a relisten. While it's a No Limit release, it sounds nothing like a No Limit record (thank to Dre I guess, who mixed like 70% of the album and overseen the whole thing) except for Back Up Off Me.
And records like these is what I meant by saying he needs Dre to guide him. Obviously he's not gonna top Doggystyle even with his help (but let's be honest, not many rappers can), but he totally capable of delivering a strong album with right people on his side. But it feels like at this point, he just doesn't care anymore.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 08:36:29 AM »
dope thread .. some nice submissions thus far

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 08:43:07 AM »
Evolution of Doggfather:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php/topic,293987.0.html

Note that sissy ass Snoop didn't put his slick talk at Pac track Snoops Upside Your Head till after his man was dead.

Probably ain't wanna get punched in his stomach again and do another impromptu rendition of "So Many Tears" as he did a sad lil crip walk. Don't lie. You know you visualized it perfectly.

k1000

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »
Nice thread.

I like everything in it ; Snoop, the idea and the rules. However I'm quite disappointed in the 2 traclists that have been compiled ; too many not-good-enough songs I would not select.

And I think it's a bad move to start or finish this experience with songs that have already started or finished some of his albums.

I shall give my link and tracklist. But I'm afraid of disappointing myself and the users of this thread.