Author Topic: Digital Underground/Shock G Appreciation  (Read 430 times)

Hellquist

Digital Underground/Shock G Appreciation
« on: April 24, 2021, 10:58:32 AM »
I've listened to all of DU's albums and their first EP with Same Song on it. It still holds up and doesn't sound dated.

Digital Underground are one of the most underrated, most overlooked, and most underappreciated rap group in the 1990s. They were in the tail end of the golden age of hip-hop with the Run DMCs, LL Cool Js, Beastie Boys, Rakims, but also were in the same era as NWA, Above the Law and the other G-Funk acts.

Digital Underground were one of the first rap groups to sample Parliament and other funk in their music that many of their successors have done, but they don't get any of the credit. Dr. Dre and others get more credit for the P-Funk, James Brown, etc samples in their music, but Digital Underground should get more credit.

Digital Underground were ridiculously overlooked when the emergence of gangsta rap took over in the early to mid '90s. Even though this group sold a lot of records and has lots of success, they are still underappreciated for their inventiveness, imagination and their sonics. The production on these albums are still ahead of their time and still hold up. You can play this music right now to a stranger and they probably couldn't tell you what era it's from. It's timeless music.

Shock G and Money B were underrated rappers and had lots of skills. If it wasn't for DU, we have no 2Pac. Shock G was a mentor to a young Pac and got him his first taste of fame. Shock G was also an amazing producer and doesn't get enough credit for his work. Outside of DU, his work is still stellar.

Words like legend and OG get thrown around a lot these days, but Digital Underground were definitely OGs and Shock G is a legend. DU contributed a lot to music not just on the west coast. I just wanted to make this thread to show appreciation. Shock G will forever be missed. He was a smart guy, well-spoken, a musical genius and I never heard anyone say a bad word about this guy.

It's been a wild 2 weeks for me. DMX is my second favorite rapper. 2Pac is my favorite. DMX was an intricate part of my adolescence. I wanted to be a rapper because of this guy. I wrote rap lyrics every day from 1997 until 2005. I had severe depression during those years and the rap helped me cope. Black Rob was one of my favorite rappers in the 2000s. Now it's Shock G. April has been shit, but these brothers contributed to my favorite music and contributed a lot to my life over all these years.

I bet Shock G is asking at the pearly gates where's the nearest Burger King bathroom.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:06:17 AM by Hellquist »

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Sccit

Re: Digital Underground/Shock G Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »
SEX PACKETS IS A CLASSIC

SHOCK IS A GOAT N DOESNT GET THE CREDIT HE DESERVES

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:52:16 AM »

SEX PACKETS IS A CLASSIC

SHOCK IS A GOAT N DOESNT GET THE CREDIT HE DESERVES

Back to life, back to reality, glad to see your Caps Lock key is working perfectly. You had me worried old bean.

As for the topic, gangsta rap bust a cap in fun raps ass when it came through. The irony of Pac being the posterboy of that and being birthed from DU isn't lost on people either but post 93 no one wanted to dance, have fun or make you laugh any more as it was mean mugs all around and pointing guns at the camera.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 01:59:49 PM »
Back to life, back to reality, glad to see your Caps Lock key is working perfectly. You had me worried old bean.

As for the topic, gangsta rap bust a cap in fun raps ass when it came through. The irony of Pac being the posterboy of that and being birthed from DU isn't lost on people either but post 93 no one wanted to dance, have fun or make you laugh any more as it was mean mugs all around and pointing guns at the camera.

dont be such a size queen fam

WE ON THAT

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 02:17:37 PM »
dont be such a size queen fam

WE ON THAT

Mans talking about the pee pee and then makes a point of saying he's on that? In capitals as well? Just to emphasize how much he is literally on that? Without a pause in sight?

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 03:59:59 PM »
Mans talking about the pee pee and then makes a point of saying he's on that? In capitals as well? Just to emphasize how much he is literally on that? Without a pause in sight?

those is some telling fantasies vic

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 12:16:03 AM »
those is some telling fantasies vic

Exactly. You need Jesus. Pause.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 07:00:19 AM »
Exactly. You need Jesus. Pause.

no thanks

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
Been a fan since Doowutchyalike in 89, always loved their fun OG funk.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

dnjp4life

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 05:24:40 AM »
Only heard a couple of their tracks due to their affiliation with 2Pac, definitely need to check out their back catalogue.