Author Topic: DJ QUIK BURNS HIS DEATH ROW ROYALTY CHECK & PUTS THE INDUSTRY ON NOTICE  (Read 2227 times)

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
Re: DJ QUIK BURNS HIS DEATH ROW ROYALTY CHECK & PUTS THE INDUSTRY ON NOTICE
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 03:50:57 PM »
Does anyone know if that is even true?  Itunes lists David Blake as a writer, wikipedia states they used the Suga Free sample and credits Quik.  Isn't that pretty standard for using a sample.  The label has to clear it before use and the credits are worked out between the parties.  His complaints regarding Kendrick are bizarre. How else does Kendrick or TDE credit him?

Exactly right. It’s in the liner notes of King Kunta. Proper crediting of sampling Get Nekkid, produced by Quik. Not sure what more he wants either in that case.

BJV

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 04:22:24 PM »
I’ll give him this. It is pretty fuckin crazy of Kendrick to not credit Quik on king Kunte

David Blake is the first composer mentioned? https://www.allmusic.com/song/king-kunta-mt0051916558

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »
Oh I wasn’t aware of that. Good lookin on the info boys. Quik trippin again

Ebony Bree Caple

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 05:28:59 PM »
I’m surprised you even kno who Quik is cac beezy

What?
Like you know who you talking to huh?
STRUGGLING TO KEEP IT REAL IN A WORLD FULL OF FAKES

Ebony Bree Caple

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 05:30:43 PM »
Oh I wasn’t aware of that. Good lookin on the info boys. Quik trippin again

I never had a man suck my dick before either but I'll make an exception for you 😉

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 05:36:56 PM »
i don’t think he’s talkin bout credit as much as he is bout money

he prolly wasn’t compensated for that work the way he most likely deserved to be

thegooddoc

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
i don’t think he’s talkin bout credit as much as he is bout money

he prolly wasn’t compensated for that work the way he most likely deserved to be

That makes Quik look worse.  The samples were cleared, so someone was paid. 

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 07:18:15 PM »
What?
Like you know who you talking to huh?

I know who you are

Ebony Bree Caple

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 07:53:38 PM »
I know who you are

Was that you that followed me on insta?

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 08:19:23 PM »
Was that you that followed me on insta?

Doc Doggy baby!

-Davizz-

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2021, 11:01:02 PM »
The King Kunta complain makes no sense at all, he's always been credited... ok they sampled your song, and then? Quik sampled hundreds of songs but I don't think Roger Troutman, George Clinton, etc. ever complained or asked him anything.
If he wants to be relevant again he needs to release some quality (and let me say commercial appealing) music.

The following users thanked this post: Iowa1

Jay_J

before he said in an interview that pharrel ripped his line from get nekkid for "hot in here" song but he is ok with it and feel honored with it and never thought to sue him.

today he says "i want my fucking credit for hot in here"

shame.

funkstylz

Quik ain't wrong for this . Y'all always on his ass too when he calls out the industry. Give the man the same respect you give Dre

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Quik always does this shit.. I remember the POWER106 concert I was at with Sccit, Doggy, Roccy... he spent his whole performance talking shit to the soundman (his sound was the same as the other artists) and bitching about not getting his due in the industry, etc.

He has a case, but I don't understand why this happens to him?  Like the whole time he was at Death Row you almost didn't even know he was there, other than two tracks.  The "Dollars and Sense" track and "Heartz of Men" on All Eyez on me.  And they were just good songs on great albums and people liked those songs but weren't talked about much.  It was just like Quik was doing a song for them like a lot of artists contribute songs to soundtracks.  You never heard him talked about at Death Row.  They were promoting a lot of lesser artists I mean you knew Lady of Rage was over at Death Row but you never knew Quik was with them until after the fact.  And I've been following everything on that Dogg Food album since before it even came out and I only heard just this year that Quik put in work on that album.  What did he do?  What's the story on that?  Maybe he needs to get out there more on interviews and explain a lot of this.

What's the story with those other tracks he mentioned?   Something isn't right that this keeps happening to Quik
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
Quik always does this shit.. I remember the POWER106 concert I was at with Sccit, Doggy, Roccy... he spent his whole performance talking shit to the soundman (his sound was the same as the other artists) and bitching about not getting his due in the industry, etc.

He has a case, but I don't understand why this happens to him?  Like the whole time he was at Death Row you almost didn't even know he was there, other than two tracks.  The "Dollars and Sense" track and "Heartz of Men" on All Eyez on me.  And they were just good songs on great albums and people liked those songs but weren't talked about much.  It was just like Quik was doing a song for them like a lot of artists contribute songs to soundtracks.  You never heard him talked about at Death Row.  They were promoting a lot of lesser artists I mean you knew Lady of Rage was over at Death Row but you never knew Quik was with them until after the fact.  And I've been following everything on that Dogg Food album since before it even came out and I only heard just this year that Quik put in work on that album.  What did he do?  What's the story on that?  Maybe he needs to get out there more on interviews and explain a lot of this.

What's the story with those other tracks he mentioned?   Something isn't right that this keeps happening to Quik

I remember reading that part of it was because he was never officially signed to Death Row, he signed some producer contract as D. Blake or something to skirt the legality since he already had a performer contract with Profile.  I think he was doing a lot of stuff for Death Row under the table and getting paid under the table and as a result, Death Row couldn't legally credit him for the stuff he was doing because he'd be breaking his current contract with Profile.  He was using studio time paid for by Profile to work on stuff for Death Row, which i know isn't that unusual to use studio time to work on other projects, but still.  Quik had this arrangement and at the time it benefitted him because he was getting double paid.  Now 25 years later, after these songs blew up, he realized he should've went at it in a different way.  You think if these songs never blew up, he'd be whining that he wasn't getting credit?  No....he realized he shot himself in the foot and is now trying to get his just due.  I don't fault the man for wanting his credit, but he did it in a sneaky way and now it's coming back to haunt him. 

The following users thanked this post: BJV, Sccit