Author Topic: DJ QUIK BURNS HIS DEATH ROW ROYALTY CHECK & PUTS THE INDUSTRY ON NOTICE  (Read 2218 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I remember reading that part of it was because he was never officially signed to Death Row, he signed some producer contract as D. Blake or something to skirt the legality since he already had a performer contract with Profile.  I think he was doing a lot of stuff for Death Row under the table and getting paid under the table and as a result, Death Row couldn't legally credit him for the stuff he was doing because he'd be breaking his current contract with Profile.  He was using studio time paid for by Profile to work on stuff for Death Row, which i know isn't that unusual to use studio time to work on other projects, but still.  Quik had this arrangement and at the time it benefitted him because he was getting double paid.  Now 25 years later, after these songs blew up, he realized he should've went at it in a different way.  You think if these songs never blew up, he'd be whining that he wasn't getting credit?  No....he realized he shot himself in the foot and is now trying to get his just due.  I don't fault the man for wanting his credit, but he did it in a sneaky way and now it's coming back to haunt him.

Yeah this is exactly the way I remember hearing about it some years back like around the West Resurgence era period of 99-2002.  You started hearing how Quik was at Death Row cause he had a relationship with Suge and they were both Bloods and so they could just do cash deals with each other as homies and what not. 

When All Eyez On Me dropped I remember looking thru the liner notes and seeing David Blake and kind of knowing that was Quik.. but it was clear there was some effort made back then to downplay Quik's role at Death Row.  Likely because of the contractual issue mentioned above, like we said.  So now, all these years later when that work has stood the test of time, now Quik wants to rewrite those contracts from back in the day.  It doesn't really work like that.

I don't blame Quik for wanting his props because even I want to know a lot more about his work on records like Dogg Food.   He certainly deserves props if he contributed on a record like that and we are only finding out all these years later.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Ebony Bree Caple

Quik ain't wrong for this . Y'all always on his ass too when he calls out the industry. Give the man the same respect you give Dre

Quik is wrong for this
Literally burning money
Like....
He couldn't think of a charity that's deserving of the funds?
STRUGGLING TO KEEP IT REAL IN A WORLD FULL OF FAKES

Jay_J

Quik ain't wrong for this . Y'all always on his ass too when he calls out the industry. Give the man the same respect you give Dre

he is not dre. so he cant get the same respect.

Jay_J

damizza told that quik mixed "lights out" track of Westside Connection. he just calles quik and tells that he produced a track for westside connection and needs quik to mix it. quik says come home now. damizza goes, quik mixes it in 15 mins and give master cd to damizza. thats the story.

quik is very amteur when it comes to handle the business part. maybe i can also call naive. but come on u are a grown up man. you cant blame anybody. if you handle it in very amateur way, thats what you get today.

you guys here told that he got his credit under the table on death row because he had that kind of deal with suge knight.

thats why warren-g didnt sing with death row and wait for a good record deal and he got it finally from def jam.

if i were quik, i'd say "fuck your royality check deathrow, you cant value my work, its priceless, i did everything for music, fans, friends and history"... then it makes sense.

but if he bitching and crying about some money which i honestly think he doesnt deserve because of the way he handled the business part, it doesnt make sense to me.

and some guys here he deserves same respect that dre gets. no he can't get it.

Safe+Sound

I knew Quik had something to do with King Kunta... I could literally hear it. So obvious. Quik and Suga Free are all over that.

Okka

I knew Quik had something to do with King Kunta... I could literally hear it. So obvious. Quik and Suga Free are all over that.

Quik had nothin' to do with it. "King Kunta" samples Mausberg's "Get Nekkid".

Diggfinger

Safe+Sound

Quik had nothin' to do with it. "King Kunta" samples Mausberg's "Get Nekkid".

Right... but who produced Get Nekkid?

Jay_J

Right... but who produced Get Nekkid?

thats called sampling. and its written in credits on booklet.

Safe+Sound

thats called sampling. and its written in credits on booklet.

Isn't sampling a part of producing?

My point here is that Quik did in fact have something to do with King Kunta if that song was inspired by Get Nekkid, which was produced by DJ Quik. If A = B and B = C then A = C. That's all I'm saying.

Also, Suga Free was clearly the inspiration behind Kendrick's flow on the song as well. Free spoke on that during a Vlad interview where he said, "I heard myself." None of this meant to knock Kendrick, it's just interesting to see how people reinvent beats and rhymes.

BJV

I hope in the coming decade Quik will start focusing on producing for other people more. He's around the same age Quincy Jones was when he did Thriller so who knows what could happen with a little bit more focus.

The following users thanked this post: Matty, Sccit

BJV

So is that Hot in Herre claim only about the lyrics? "Take your clothes off" vs "So take off all your clothes". That to me is reaching I don't hear any similarities in the beats, matter of fact that is PRIME Neptunes that beat is low key genius they knew how to make hits back then.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie

My point here is that Quik did in fact have something to do with King Kunta if that song was inspired by Get Nekkid, which was produced by DJ Quik. If A = B and B = C then A = C. That's all I'm saying.

Also, Suga Free was clearly the inspiration behind Kendrick's flow on the song as well. Free spoke on that during a Vlad interview where he said, "I heard myself." None of this meant to knock Kendrick, it's just interesting to see how people reinvent beats and rhymes.

I agree, his beat was sampled and properly credited.  So i don't know what more Quik wants, like every time Kendrick does an interview, he's supposed to break down and start kissing his ass and say he'd be nothing without Quik allowing him to sample his beat?

Quik is a legend, and most people who know hip hop realize that.  He's never going to break into mainstream, but even Dr. Dre isn't very mainstream anymore.  His obsession with wanting to be like Dre is getting old, just be yourself. 

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Jay_J

sampling is a part of producing, but, for only for producer who samples. that doesnt make the owner of sample a co producer for that song.

do you remember addictive song of truth hurts which is produced by dj quik? did you see any sample credits on it? do you remember the trial which cost a lot to both truth hurts and aftermath.

did you buy any dj quik album? check the booklets and see if there is any co producer written because of the sample he used.

Jay_J

I agree, his beat was sampled and properly credited.  So i don't know what more Quik wants, like every time Kendrick does an interview, he's supposed to break down and start kissing his ass and say he'd be nothing without Quik allowing him to sample his beat?

Quik is a legend, and most people who know hip hop realize that.  He's never going to break into mainstream, but even Dr. Dre isn't very mainstream anymore.  His obsession with wanting to be like Dre is getting old, just be yourself.

word. i sign that line. "he's never going to break into mainstream".

today we clearly see why he never became mainstream, because he sucks in business part of this industry.

however he created his own sub genre in west coast hip hop with specific sounds which belongs to him and he always produced for that sub genre and that made him a local artist for west coast hip hop.

dre knows music business, entertaintment world and how to manage whole shit. also dre always tries to break his shell when he thinks he doesnt sound interesting anymore. he even tryed it with "compton" album, he couldnt succeed but he tried.

Dre doesnt have an obsession to be mainstream as an artist anymore. because he's been there and done that many times. even if he is retired tomorrow and dont produce anymore, he is still a fucking legend. a mainstream legend for whole wide world. by the way he just executive produced eminem's two albums which are ver very succesfull and dre has lots of production there. as a producer he is still mainstream. he is executive producing artists like eminem, kendrick and paak. if he drops a solo album like we all expected, then we can talk about if he stays mainstream or not as an artist.