Author Topic: DJ QUIK BURNS HIS DEATH ROW ROYALTY CHECK & PUTS THE INDUSTRY ON NOTICE  (Read 2193 times)

Okka

Isn't sampling a part of producing?

My point here is that Quik did in fact have something to do with King Kunta if that song was inspired by Get Nekkid, which was produced by DJ Quik. If A = B and B = C then A = C. That's all I'm saying.

Also, Suga Free was clearly the inspiration behind Kendrick's flow on the song as well. Free spoke on that during a Vlad interview where he said, "I heard myself." None of this meant to knock Kendrick, it's just interesting to see how people reinvent beats and rhymes.

I'm not sure if you wanna go down this road. Do you feel the songs Quik sampled from old songs are not produced by him?

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
I was gonna say, for everyone Quik ever sampled, i hope he treats them the same way he thinks Kendrick should be treating him. I know him and Dre were sued and lost because he didn’t properly credit his sample for the Addictive beat, he was accused of basically stealing the sample. At least Kendrick properly credited Quik. So sounds a little hypocritical to me.

Safe+Sound

sampling is a part of producing, but, for only for producer who samples. that doesnt make the owner of sample a co producer for that song.

do you remember addictive song of truth hurts which is produced by dj quik? did you see any sample credits on it? do you remember the trial which cost a lot to both truth hurts and aftermath.

did you buy any dj quik album? check the booklets and see if there is any co producer written because of the sample he used.

It doesn't appear I'm being properly understood.

This whole conversation began because someone said Quik had nothing to do with King Kunta. My position is that he did, specifically because the beat was sampled from one that Quik produced: Get Nekkid. Therefore Quik had something to do with King Kunta by default.

To address your comments: samples have to be cleared and listed in credits by law. So yeah, I've seen plenty of that in song credits over the years from Quik and many other producers. As far as asking if I've ever bought a DJ Quik album - I'm glad you have a sense of humor haha.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:11:13 PM by Safe+Sound »

Safe+Sound

I'm not sure if you wanna go down this road. Do you feel the songs Quik sampled from old songs are not produced by him?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but sampling is a part of song production by definition. Producers do it all the time as we all know. Sampling doesn't make you less of a producer. If you use a sample as part of producing a song, it's obviously your song. Original samples from original artists are noted. Does that clarify?

Jay_J

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but sampling is a part of song production by definition. Producers do it all the time as we all know. Sampling doesn't make you less of a producer. If you use a sample as part of producing a song, it's obviously your song. Original samples from original artists are noted. Does that clarify?

wish i'd do smth else instead reading this. (

thegooddoc

It doesn't appear I'm being properly understood.

This whole conversation began because someone said Quik had nothing to do with King Kunta. My position is that he did, specifically because the beat was sampled from one that Quik produced: Get Nekkid. Therefore Quik had something to do with King Kunta by default.

To address your comments: samples have to be cleared and listed in credits by law. So yeah, I've seen plenty of that in song credits over the years from Quik and many other producers. As far as asking if I've ever bought a DJ Quik album - I'm glad you have a sense of humor haha.

There is absolutely no dispute over whether or not Quik had anything to do with King Kunta.  He is a created writer and the sample was cleared and credited.   I think most of the posters were commenting about him making it sound like he wasn't properly credited for it, which he was. 

romson19

RIP Nate Dogg
RIP Nipsey Hussle
RIP Bad Azz

F-cisco

I’m glad Quik is in a much better mental state. I remember the homie 3rdcoast would post a lot about him. He shared how Quik was incredibly talented but deeply troubled.

jman91331

JeremyM

I'm a huge Quik fan, and usually I ignore an artist's personal drama, but this one caught my eye. It's too bad if he's not getting properly paid, but some of the stuff he complains about seems like a reach. But we all have those down moments and thankfully, most of us don't have a platform big enough to post it and have it cause some drama.

All that being said, it amazes me that Daz had his business together more than Quik did. Daz somehow made sure his business was in line and apparently gets big royalty checks to this day when his Death Row stuff shows up in movies and so on, and I believe he even sued at one point to ensure his business was straight.

That's another thing, streaming royalties aren't shit generally speaking, but if "Heartz of Men," "Late Night," or "Dollars and Sense" got a movie placement, Quik's Death Row royalty checks would likely be much bigger even with the bad business deals he had. "What Would U Do" showed up in the NWA movie and I believe another big film, which was around the time Daz was posting up big royalty checks.