Author Topic: R.I.P. O.G. Monster Kody (1963-2021)  (Read 540 times)

The Predator

R.I.P. O.G. Monster Kody (1963-2021)
« on: June 10, 2021, 06:00:06 AM »
Word is Monster Kody passed away, cause of death has yet to be officially revealed.

Author of the legendary book, wish he had written a sequel. 
His auto-bio dropped in the early 90s during the height of LA gangsta rap and Hollwood hood movies.
Used to walk around with the book in my back pocket, a fascinating trip to 70s/80s South Central...couldnt put it down.

R.I.P. O.G. Monster Kody

Reports are coming in that Sanyika Shakur AKA Monster Kody is reportedly dead at 57. Shakur was a notable member of the Crips gang in Los Angeles who went on to become a motivational speaker and revolutionary thinker.

News of Monster Kody’s death began cropping up on Twitter this afternoon (June 8), most especially with Vince Staples, who has ties with the Crips organization, posting condolences in honor of Shakur. Others began following suit and the news began to spread.

Shakur was born Kody Dejohn Scott on November 13, 1963, and was a member of the Eight Tray Gangster Crips in Los Angles. He earned the name “Monster” after beating up and severely injuring a robbery victim when he was just 13 years old. From there, Shakur was deeply embroiled in gang wars as a member of Eight Tray, which infamously clashed with another set of Crips known as the Rollin’ 60s.

While in prison in the 1980s, Shakur joined the Republic of New Afrika movement and changed his name. Later in 1993, he published a gripping memoir titled Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member. The book depicts how Shakur fell into gang culture and also highlights his growth within the New Afrika movement.

Shakur had a close relationship with the late 2Pac (AKA Tupac Shakur), mentioning this in his memoir. Shakur last saw 2Pac in 1996 while visiting the set of one of the rapper’s videos while he was on the run from police.

May Sanyika Shakur rest powerfully in peace.

Last known interview, O.G. MK droppin gems (man he could tell a story) and bustin some dope rhymes -

Monster Kody aka Sanyika Shakur born Kody Scott, author and gang historian sits down with Kev Mac Videos in the most anticipated interview of the year.
Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:
Part 4:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:42:58 AM by The Predator »

doggfather

Re: R.I.P. Monster Kody (1963-2021)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 06:21:38 AM »
RIP!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

The Predator

Re: R.I.P. Monster Kody (1963-2021)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 06:41:40 AM »

Re: This was me and Tupac's first conversation. This was October 18th 1995. i had just gotten out of Pelican a month before, and Pac had been out a couple of days. We did not know We were being recorded. My wife pressed record on the answering machine and unbeknown to either of us, caught some bomb ass history. Ya'll enjoy this, and check out Pac and how positive he was. This is Classic shit. It's Shakur thang. - Sanyika "Monster Kody" Shakur

Sccit

Re: R.I.P. O.G. Monster Kody (1963-2021)
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 08:26:23 AM »
RIP

Safe+Sound

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 11:43:55 AM »
Yeah, early reports are saying it may have been stroke but nothing official yet.

abusive

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »
That man was a genius. I was thinking he may have had a photographic memory but then I thought maybe he spent so much time in the hole that he probably replayed his life over and over in his head to the point where he could recount every event. Just a guess.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

The Predator

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 12:00:29 PM »

Crips from everywhere in Los Angeles came out for Monster Kody and LAPD shut down the streets for the interaction..

Pretty Boy Talks about Monster Kody Vigil and Rumors, also Cartoon from 53 Avalon Gangster Crips joins along with OG Joe Rocchead. Big Mumpy 60s in comment section with Ex NBA Player Keith Closs.

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 12:16:41 PM »
I always wonder if the story of the guy who's been ripped off his arm to make a point is legit. What u guys think i'm curious..
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

abusive

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 04:30:28 AM »
I always wonder if the story of the guy who's been ripped off his arm to make a point is legit. What u guys think i'm curious..
There's an interview on the street gangs channel with a lady speaking on it as well as a Kev Mac video where monster is asked about it. It happened.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 06:36:42 PM »
RIP Monster Kody. -  Read his book back in the day it was a good read, and I like that piece someone posted with various pieces on Monster Kody including the 2pac phone call which shows their mutual respect and collaboration
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

jaytee

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 09:44:52 PM »
My family grew up on 83rd Street and our next door neighbor founded Eight Tray.  My uncle said that he was mentioned in Monster Kody's book. I never read it though, but maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.

abusive

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2021, 09:34:07 AM »
Here's the funeral -

The following users thanked this post: The Predator

Young Old Head

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 08:12:42 AM »
Damn, RIP to the quadruple OG. If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have found out about his death, smh

This is so illconic! Wooow... Thanks for posting this!

My family grew up on 83rd Street and our next door neighbor founded Eight Tray.  My uncle said that he was mentioned in Monster Kody's book. I never read it though, but maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.

You a gangsta rap fan (I assume), have family from 83rd street and even that fact didn't get you to read it? Sounds kinda crazy to me, lol
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 09:23:49 AM by Young Old Head »

Cash Money Blood Gang

The Predator

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 12:20:16 PM »
‘Monster’ Kody Scott, former L.A. gang member who became a bestselling author, found dead at 57

Kody Scott was such a notorious neighborhood gangster that schoolchildren trembled at the thought of passing by his South Los Angeles home out of fear he’d pick a fight or steal their bikes and lunch money.

“That’s like butterflies,” said Skipp Townsend, a former gang member, now a community activist who works with 2nd Call, a community based organization that serves high-risk individuals. “It’s like man, my stomach gets jittery because we have no idea what Kody is going to do.”

But on this day, as Townsend and a schoolmate passed by 69th Street near Florence and Normandie avenues, they happened to catch Scott on a good day.

Townsend’s schoolmate told Scott he had a stomachache and was just trying to get home. Scott patted him on the back. “All right, I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said, then sent them on their way, unscathed.

The curious life of “Monster” Kody Scott was soon to emerge as a cautionary tale of redemption and the relentless tug of gang life.

A well-known gang banger in the 1970s, Scott remarkably became a motivational speaker and bestselling author of a 1993 memoir that took a sobering look at gang life in L.A. The book, which followed his journey from violence toward transcendence, arrived at a time when much of America outside L.A. and New York City was still unaware of gang culture.

Although Scott escaped death numerous times as a member of the Eight Tray Gangster Crips, then became an author who counseled others to avoid gang life, the 57-year-old was found dead on June 7 at a homeless encampment near the San Luis River Trail in Oceanside, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s office.

Scott’s girlfriend discovered his “badly decomposed” body in a tent, said Tom Bussey, a public information officer for the Oceanside Police Department. It appears Scott died of natural causes and not foul play, though the cause of death has yet to be determined, Bussey said.

Scott, who changed his name to Sanyika Shakur marking his rebirth and the end of his gang career, had a complex life. For every step forward, he seemed to take at least one step back.

Despite his promising career in Hollywood — his memoir was discussed as a possible film by “Training Day” director Antoine Fuqua, which never materialized — Scott wound up being placed on L.A.’s most wanted list for allegedly stealing a car, a potential third strike that would carry a long prison term, and living at an Oceanside homeless encampment. But within the last year, he was working on another book and in talks with a streaming service about adapting his story and launching a podcast, said Leo “Pretty Boy” Smith, a former gang rival who planned to cohost the podcast.

Born Kody De’John Scott in November 1963 to Birdie Scott, he discovered later that his father was L.A. Rams running back Dick Bass, who died in 2006. (He told “60 Minutes” in an interview with Steve Croft in 1993 that his godfather was singer Ray Charles, a family friend).

Scott was initiated into the Eight Tray Gangster Crips the day of his sixth-grade graduation at age 11. By age 13, he had been given the nickname “Monster” after beating a man so badly that police told bystanders the person responsible for the attack was a “monster.” The name stuck and for several years, Scott worked to live up to his moniker.

After years of moving up the gang ranks and then being shipped to prison for crimes like possession of an assault rifle, Scott decided to trade in his gang career and strive to dissuade other youth from joining gangs. While in prison, he wrote the frighteningly authentic memoir Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member, which was published in 1993.

Léon Bing, a fashion model turned journalist, was the first writer to bring Scott to the attention of the world beyond L.A. in her 1991 book about gang life, Do or Die. Scott is photographed shirtless on the book’s cover with dark shades and a MAC-10.

Bing remembers him being an avid reader whom she considered intelligent and someone who could easily hold his own when they playfully traded insults. One day while Scott and Bing were riding in the backseat of a car through the hood, she recalls asking him to show her his “mad dog” face.

“He took his cap and [turned] it around to the side like the way a kid who’s trying to look tough will … and he crossed his eyes and stuck the tip of his tongue outside of his mouth and he said, “Scary huh?” Bing recalled.

“People really respected him in the hood and the people who were afraid of him, I think were afraid for all of the wrong reasons,” she added. “He was not looking to show off strength. He just was who he was and he wasn’t a showoff.”

At Scott’s request while he was incarcerated, Bing helped him coordinate a toy drive at a local children’s hospital with then 15-year-old Bernard Cooper, a young member of the Eight Tray Gangster Crips.

“I was excited to get a letter from Monster Kody,” said Cooper, now 49 and running a recovery program for former gang members and felons. “Of all the little young kids out here, he chose me.”

Cooper, who joined the gang at age 13, said Scott took him and other recruits to the gun range, where he shared street game with them.

“People just assume that he closed off because of the stories that they hear about him or whatever, but I’ve never had nothing but love from him,” he said. “Even when he ran off with my mother’s .25 automatic and my mother was chasing me around about it. … he said he needed it, so I let him get it even though he never gave it back.”

Despite his reputation, people closest to him said that they rarely — or never — saw the “Monster” side of him.

“Of course I heard about the violence and I also read it in the book, but I never met ‘Monster Kody,’ said Sanyika Shakur II, 31, Scott’s youngest son. “I always [saw] pops.”

He added, “[He was] like the older best friend. This was the guy that comes in, he’s ready to play all day. My mom was probably at home taking care of all the business [and] getting on our behind, he comes in, he wants to play, crack jokes, tickle, play fight, things like that.”

Before Scott died, he also made amends with Smith. The two had grown up in the same neighborhood and knew each other’s families, but when Smith joined a rival gang, Rollin Sixties, they became enemies. In 1981, Smith was arrested for allegedly shooting Scott. Smith was found not guilty and a decade later, while both he and Scott were in prison, Smith wrote him a letter to congratulate him on his book. From there, they began sending letters back and forth.

Early last year, the two talked about starting a podcast together that would detail their upbringing, their fall-out and eventual reconnection, but Smith struggled to get in contact with Scott, who was “always on the go.”

“A lot of youngsters could’ve seen, wow, these two big-name rivals get together so if they can get together, everybody else can turn around and say, ‘Well if they can do it, we can do it,’” Smith said.

Scott’s son was pragmatic about the arc of his father’s life.

“It’s the underdog story. It may not have had its glorious ending, you know, but s—, life isn’t always a fairy tale,” he said. “As real as it can be, this guy was a compassionate guy. This guy was a loyal guy [and] a hell of a rider, just charismatic and a person you love to be around.”