Author Topic: Vontel - Vision of a Dream Album Appreciation Thread (1998, G-Funk)  (Read 452 times)

dnjp4life

I heard this album for the first time the other day, and I'll be damned if it's not one of the smoothest and most funky rap albums I've ever heard.

Many will have heard it before, but if you haven't and listen to a lot of g-funk, you should check this album out right away.  It's got 5 Battlecat beats on it, a couple of Roger Troutman talkbox features, and Vontel is a pretty good rapper, even if he did disappear after making this one album.  Parts of it remind me of Domino's first album, which of course Battlecat produced, but I would say this is better, and flows so well from first track to last.

I'd kill to get a hard copy of this, but it's so rare that the prices are ridiculous.

Anyone else feeling this album as much as I am?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 02:49:53 PM by dnjp4life »

Fonky Fresh

Re: Vontel - Vision of a Dream Album Appreciation Thread (1998, G-Funk)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 12:56:52 PM »
Hell yeah it's on my playlist on a daily basis since years now. I think it did a second LP but i'm not 100% sure
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

tha kid2012

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 04:50:58 PM »
Very dope album, I posted up the rare instrumental of 4 My Homiez on my page.

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life, Marco

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 01:09:48 PM »
Keep it on the real & Playa Style are my shit

The following users thanked this post: Duckasuckin

Rubinho

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 12:08:36 AM »
Posts like this keep me coming back to the forum!

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Mista Rosa

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »
Hell yeah it's on my playlist on a daily basis since years now. I think it did a second LP but i'm not 100% sure

No, after the album he had the single "lougin" which he video clipped but no 2nd LP. He confirmed it, because there was a rumor of an unreleased album, in a "recent" "what are you doing now" type of interview.

That album is definitly a gfunk classic with its own vibe with some lines that get stuck on your mind... "Close my eyes on the journey cause I knew you would set me free..."
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

dnjp4life

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 04:45:54 AM »
On iTunes they've removed one of the best tracks on the album -So you Wanna be a Player - presumably due to sampling clearance issues? 

Damn, I might have to buy this on CD after all.