Author Topic: Today's WC HipHop Music and It's Representation...  (Read 227 times)

Jay_J

Today's WC HipHop Music and It's Representation...
« on: November 08, 2021, 03:43:28 AM »
I have a few question for y'all...

Who do you think represents west coast hip hop best today (including past few years)?

Which songs do you think represents west coast hip hop's latest era?

Do you think west coast hip hop music and culture lost his specific taste and vibe today? ( i mean in 90s and early 2000s each coasts has its own specific sound but today its hard to figure out any sharp differences between coasts, east or west or mid west, it doesnt matter all sound similar to each other. trap, autotune, mumble and mainstream vibe destroyed the sharp differences of local genres.)

Sccit

Re: Today's WC HipHop Music and It's Representation...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2021, 04:18:24 AM »
DOM KENNEDY

Jay_J

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 11:31:09 PM »
so no one cares about west coast hiphop, culture and its development.

looks like we only talk about new dr. dre photos and detox rumours.

The following users thanked this post: Orbyte

astra4322

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 12:04:41 AM »
Snoop Dogg IMO. He is still very active and praises west coast and it's legacy.

Jay_J

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 05:20:31 AM »
Snoop Dogg IMO. He is still very active and praises west coast and it's legacy.

yes he is still active and he drops some late 90s and early 00's vibes... he is trying to bring a new vibe with the guy prohoezak but im not a fan of it.

dom kennedy also trying to keep some 90s west coast vibe in his music but honestly im not a fan of him, just like a few songs of him. his last album sounds wack to me.

yg's last song "sign language", the production, lyrics, music video, all of em together is fully west coast shit. its very nostalgic. its what we heard many times two decades before. thats why i love the song.

i think the problem is west coast hip hop couldnt bring a new vibe and sound to the game which is unique and belongs to west coast and also inspires every artists on all around the world. today west coast hip hop just follows whats mainstream and adapts itself to it.

does rapping about crips and bloods and lowriders on a trap beat make it wes coast? or can we call it west coast hiphop because just the rapper is from compton or la?

The following users thanked this post: astra4322

Iowa1

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 05:54:55 AM »
Quincey White - Last three or four EPs have been great WC sounds
Dom Kennedy - Already discussed
D Smoke - Last three albums have great WC sound (some mainstream influences I would say as well)
Thurz - Been putting out singles which all sound mostly WC
Polyester the Saint - Has stayed tru to the WC sound and very Gfunk-ish
MC Eiht - I really dig his more laid back WC sound he has been doing
Osbe Chill - Everything I have heard has been WC sounding
Mykestro - Last couple albums have been mostly WC (different sounding beats but def not mainstream)
Big2DaBoy - All WC but hangs with the legends so what do u expect
Schoolboy Q - Tries to stay WC but def dabbles with mainstream beats
Problem - Solid WC sounds
Terrace Martin - aint nobody doin what he does when it comes to production - he stays keeping WC in his music
Cozz - I enjoy his music and his producer laces some great WC sounds (yes he does have mainstream beats as well)

I agree to an extent that WC tries to sound too universal at times.  Music has to evolve and the more access to other sounds or producers (thank you internet) the more music sounds the same and watered down.  Im a guy that grew up all over the country but always gravitated towards WC music.  As long as WC keeps the ingredients in it that have made them (funk, jazz, gfunk, live instruments, laid back shyt) then I will stay a fan and will look for those that rep it right

astra4322

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 06:17:22 AM »
yes he is still active and he drops some late 90s and early 00's vibes... he is trying to bring a new vibe with the guy prohoezak but im not a fan of it.

dom kennedy also trying to keep some 90s west coast vibe in his music but honestly im not a fan of him, just like a few songs of him. his last album sounds wack to me.

yg's last song "sign language", the production, lyrics, music video, all of em together is fully west coast shit. its very nostalgic. its what we heard many times two decades before. thats why i love the song.

i think the problem is west coast hip hop couldnt bring a new vibe and sound to the game which is unique and belongs to west coast and also inspires every artists on all around the world. today west coast hip hop just follows whats mainstream and adapts itself to it.

does rapping about crips and bloods and lowriders on a trap beat make it wes coast? or can we call it west coast hiphop because just the rapper is from compton or la?

Couldn't say better. Back in the day we all were able to say that this song is from west coast (funky beats) or east coast (dark beats) in most cases. Now we are not.

Jay_J

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2021, 11:59:40 AM »
Quincey White - Last three or four EPs have been great WC sounds
Dom Kennedy - Already discussed
D Smoke - Last three albums have great WC sound (some mainstream influences I would say as well)
Thurz - Been putting out singles which all sound mostly WC
Polyester the Saint - Has stayed tru to the WC sound and very Gfunk-ish
MC Eiht - I really dig his more laid back WC sound he has been doing
Osbe Chill - Everything I have heard has been WC sounding
Mykestro - Last couple albums have been mostly WC (different sounding beats but def not mainstream)
Big2DaBoy - All WC but hangs with the legends so what do u expect
Schoolboy Q - Tries to stay WC but def dabbles with mainstream beats
Problem - Solid WC sounds
Terrace Martin - aint nobody doin what he does when it comes to production - he stays keeping WC in his music
Cozz - I enjoy his music and his producer laces some great WC sounds (yes he does have mainstream beats as well)

I agree to an extent that WC tries to sound too universal at times.  Music has to evolve and the more access to other sounds or producers (thank you internet) the more music sounds the same and watered down.  Im a guy that grew up all over the country but always gravitated towards WC music.  As long as WC keeps the ingredients in it that have made them (funk, jazz, gfunk, live instruments, laid back shyt) then I will stay a fan and will look for those that rep it right

thanks for making it worth to start this thread for me :) great opinions and explanation about whats going on with music and west coast hip hop.

i will check a few artists you mentioned that i never even heard of before like cozz, osbe chill...

Iowa1

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 05:29:30 AM »
Its a great thread @Cey_Cey 
I can name a few others, but the overall feel is correct.  Most music is getting harder to decipher where it came from.  It is sad in my eyes as the WC sound is what I fell in love with when it comes to hip-hop.  The funk grabbed me lol.
G Perico - Sound is mostly WC (gangsta-ish)
Reason - I like dude but sound is all over
Boogie - Mostly WC sounding (not a fan of the Shady sounding beats though)
Mozzy - Very Bay Area
Ab-Soul - Really like dude but been quiet
SiR - Dude is super nice and R&B but sounds are WC to me
Bad Lucc - Been quiet but very WC
Warm Brew - Have like dudes since jump and they have a g-funk vibe (usually)

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 07:29:17 AM »
Its a great thread @Cey_Cey 
I can name a few others, but the overall feel is correct.  Most music is getting harder to decipher where it came from.  It is sad in my eyes as the WC sound is what I fell in love with when it comes to hip-hop.  The funk grabbed me lol.
G Perico - Sound is mostly WC (gangsta-ish)
Reason - I like dude but sound is all over
Boogie - Mostly WC sounding (not a fan of the Shady sounding beats though)
Mozzy - Very Bay Area
Ab-Soul - Really like dude but been quiet
SiR - Dude is super nice and R&B but sounds are WC to me
Bad Lucc - Been quiet but very WC
Warm Brew - Have like dudes since jump and they have a g-funk vibe (usually)

mozzy is sacramento.. not considered bay area

Iowa1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 10:42:03 AM »
Thank you @Sccit for the correction.  I flipn knew that but I slipped lol

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »
I think you just don’t fuck with Dom like that because you’re not from the West. Dom has a lot of local references in his lyrics that mean a lot to the people who understand him and if you don’t then his lyrics just fly right over your head and might seem not that special. To me I think Dom and Kendrick are the leaders of the new West but Kendrick kinda fading into the shadows now

Jay_J

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 02:52:05 AM »
I think you just don’t fuck with Dom like that because you’re not from the West. Dom has a lot of local references in his lyrics that mean a lot to the people who understand him and if you don’t then his lyrics just fly right over your head and might seem not that special. To me I think Dom and Kendrick are the leaders of the new West but Kendrick kinda fading into the shadows now

maybe dom's music would mean me more if i was from the west. you are right. he has west coast sounding beats and he is a good rapper but i think he should be more picky about the beats. what i mean with i dont fuck with dom that much is i dont feel his beats. (from the westside vol 2 is really good by the way)

but im more talking about the production/sound/vibe part.

you already mention "new west". what is this new west vibe? is it just based on lyrics and local references? what about the music?

lets accept the fact that what made the west coast popular, universal and special was heavily the beat/production/instrumentation part of the music. 90s and early 00s era lost their popularity, i dont mean lets go back to that eras. but west coast need a new vibe which fed from its roots but also sounds valid for new generation.

for me only kendrick album sounds west coast is "to pimp a butterfly". when i first heard it i thought its a game changer and sounds really unique and belogs to west coast. but kendrick even didnt go with that vibe for his next albums. that was dissapointing for me.

doggfather

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 03:03:43 AM »
well, represantation to me is anywhere else mention him they KNOW him, and know where is from whats he representin.

not just that people who has got the same roots with the representer, buta anybody, everybody.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Iowa1

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 04:48:22 AM »
kendricks To Pimp A Butterfly is my hip=hop Thriller album.  That album is sonically perfect and Kdot words are so impactful throughout the album.  True WC album.  Lots of folks did not feel the album due to its jazzy side but thats what made it special to me.  It also brought great funk undertones.