Author Topic: What ya'll think of the 90-92 rap era? (88 EC golden age, 93-96 WC golden age)  (Read 993 times)

Dee Tha AK

Yeah the album was so close to being classic... I’ll admit his style was a bit rough for me in those days... I needed something a bit more polished... but I do remember him... especially with the second album when his video for “What U See is What U Get” was like the #1 video on BET he definitely had my ear—but again it was just slightly rough to my ears.. I was more used to laid back vibes like Snoop or Warren G back in those days.... but once Dre publicly co-signed onto X and he appeared on “Bitch Please” that brought the West back and it was at that point Spring 99 that I finally went out and bought the first two Xzibit albums and he’s been top #5 all time for me since

Exactly. But he still DOPE

Even before Paparazzi "money and a game" :😂

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

calling at the speed 4 mics is underselling it .. actually more people claim that a classic over restless.

but to each his own..dre em and pac 3 album run is goated too, no doubt. for nas’ run, id pick his first 3 albums.. cube with amerikkkaz most wanted, death certificate, and the predator is up there as well.

Agreed.. saying it's 4 mics is under-selling it.. I was more so trying to point out how the overall quality of Xzibit's albums improved incrementally.

But.. I think you can't argue that the overall mixing and mastering of the debut is slightly under-budget.  Then with 40 Dayz it felt like he had the full backing of the label and homies in the industry to make a classic.  Just the sound quality of it alone when you play it in your stereo is an upgrade.  Full production value and fully realized project.  Then on the 3rd album Dre executive produced it and so that took it next level and classic.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Dee Tha AK

Sccit

Agreed.. saying it's 4 mics is under-selling it.. I was more so trying to point out how the overall quality of Xzibit's albums improved incrementally.

But.. I think you can't argue that the overall mixing and mastering of the debut is slightly under-budget.  Then with 40 Dayz it felt like he had the full backing of the label and homies in the industry to make a classic.  Just the sound quality of it alone when you play it in your stereo is an upgrade.  Full production value and fully realized project.  Then on the 3rd album Dre executive produced it and so that took it next level and classic.

the production on at the speed is not dre, but it’s still top tier and sounds great

and he was lyrically a bit sharper in his early years

dj muggs, e-swift, diamond d was no joke, and it had the big label backing with loud records and rca

restless was indeed a step above production wise, but at the speed was not lacking homie.. dust it off and give it another spin. it might be better than u remember.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

the production on at the speed is not dre, but it’s still top tier and sounds great

and he was lyrically a bit sharper in his early years

dj muggs, e-swift, diamond d was no joke, and it had the big label backing with loud records and rca

restless was indeed a step above production wise, but at the speed was not lacking homie.. dust it off and give it another spin. it might be better than u remember.

Come on homie I’m as big a fan of At The Speed of Light as anyone I don’t have to dust it off because it never collected any dust.  I break out that album all the time. 

When I say production I don’t mean beats I mean the OVERALL production of it.  I mean the mixing and mastering.  I guarantee you Xzibit was working on a modest budget for that album.  Like just judge the sound quality I don’t think it’s the same.  40 Dayz seems like a full budget cause he got to work with more guest artists, producers and the overall quality, mixing, mastering sounds more fully realized.

Which plays louder in your speakers?  Bump “Welcome to L.A.” and get back to me.

Sccit

Come on homie I’m as big a fan of At The Speed of Light as anyone

:dead:

Dee Tha AK

Sure. Why not?
Doggfather was dope too WITHOUT dre.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

:dead:

Okay yeah.. but still you’re splitting hairs again

Sccit

Okay yeah.. but still you’re splitting hairs again

dude i’m super familiar with snoops debut album doggyway and i can tell you with certainty that it’s even better than at the speed of light

:lulz: