Author Topic: Anyone who continuously disses Dre should be banned  (Read 1810 times)

Sccit

Re: Anyone who continuously disses Dre should be banned
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2021, 08:52:23 PM »
Science is not a matter of belief, it's a matter of fact. So it ultimately doesn't matter what I believe. What is proven to be true through rigorous experimentation, replication, and testing is how real answers to serious questions are discovered. I'd love to see your sources (along with their authors) that make these claims. But no, you cannot self-regulate your own biochemistry with your mind haha (don't we all wish! It's certainly a pleasant fiction and would make for an interesting movie).

Dopamine is a chemical produced by the brain and is released when we take a bite of delicious food, when we have sex, after we exercise, and, importantly, when we have successful social interactions. In an evolutionary context, it rewards us for beneficial behaviors and motivates us to repeat them. There are series of different pathways (mesocortical, mesolimbic, nigrostriatal, and tuberoinfundibular) that dictate which parts of the brain receive dopamine and also regulatory functions that control its release dictated by other hormones like prolactin. To give you a quick idea of how complex a dopamine synthesis pathway is, I'll offer the following explanation: The dopamine synthesis and storage pathway involves several enzymes and co-factors, any one of which could be manipulated genetically to yield increased dopamine levels. The rate-limiting enzyme in dopamine production is tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), which converts the amino acid tyrosine to l-dopa. l-dopa is then metabolised to dopamine by aromatic amino acid decarboxylase (AADC). Another factor that influences this pathway is the essential TH co-factor 6-tetrahydrabiopterin (BH4), the level of which is limited by availability of the enzyme GTP-cyclohydrolase I (GTPCHI). Modification of the levels of any of these three key enzymes (TH, AADC or GTPCHI) through gene therapy could significantly impact on striatal dopamine levels and many studies have been published on the use of genes encoding these enzymes in both rodent and primate PD models.

As you can see, these concepts are very involved and require a solid background in areas like neuroanatomy and biology to understand how things actually work when it comes to the brain (and the human body in general). If this sort of thing interests you, I'd encourage you to enroll in a STEM program at an accredited university to get your bearings. Any professional career in these disciplines require at least a 4 year degree in a hard science.

i was fuckin wit u for a minute, but now i see you have no idea what you’re actually talkin bout

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4054695/

https://www.sfn.org/sitecore/content/home/brainfacts2/thinking-sensing-and-behaving/thinking-and-awareness/2019/understanding-the-power-of-meditation-041919

Safe+Sound

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2021, 06:48:06 AM »

i was fuckin wit u for a minute, but now i see you have no idea what you’re actually talkin bout

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4054695/

https://www.sfn.org/sitecore/content/home/brainfacts2/thinking-sensing-and-behaving/thinking-and-awareness/2019/understanding-the-power-of-meditation-041919

Hahahaha, omg meditation??? Really?? That's what you're talking about? Also, just typing what you want into a search engine for an answer that agrees with you is infantile. Search engines aren't objective truth-telling fact machines. You actually have to sift through a TON of garbage (like the blog you got that screen shot from). I can type in something about Bigfoot and get plenty of junk "confirmations" I could mindlessly send you. Does that mean it's true?

The study you cited is about sleep propensity and wakefulness based on "subjective, behavioral, and neuroimaging studies of meditation." Did you even read it? This has nothing to do with mental illness.

The text on that screen shot is from a blog and is actually from a 2002 abstract. It's not even a paper. Total junk.

Yes, of course we can all do things to try and mitigate stress but they do not always work - especially when we're on the topic of a diseased brain. Self regulation in the strictest sense assumes autonomous control over bodily functions. That is simply outside the human domain of possibilities. If we had to pay attention to every single thing the body did, consciousness as we know it would cease to exist.

There are certain forms of supplemental treatment that included CBT and mindfulness, which have shown some promise in some patients but certainly not all. Patients require medication for proper biochemical regulation when dealing with afflictions like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. People cannot achieve that on their own simply by meditation training. The entire problem is the inability to control many mental functions due to biochemical deficiencies. Restoration doesn't happen out of thin air. Try teaching a paranoid schizophrenic how to meditate.

Also, keep in mind that studies have to be duplicated many times independently to gain any ground. There are studies that say smoking doesn't cause cancer. Do you believe them? Do you understand how statisticians can manipulate numbers to skew the results to their favor? Do you know what to look for to be able to tell?

At this point I think the real issue is communication and being mindful of how to formulate questions. Also, feel free to chime in with thoughts on the dopamine pathways since you have such a high opinion of yourself  ;D I'm interested to hear what your ideas are on that. Maybe we can get into a a juicy discussion about Neuron–Glia Coupling in Glutathione Metabolism. What do you do for a living?

In all seriousness, this has been fun but real life calls. Being in this forum doesn't save lives or get any work done so the shadow boxing is coming to a halt. I have to return to my evil lair and conspire at my round table on how to turn you all into zombies.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 07:12:45 AM by Safe+Sound »

Sccit

« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2021, 07:48:19 AM »
Hahahaha, omg meditation??? Really?? That's what you're talking about? Also, just typing what you want into a search engine for an answer that agrees with you is infantile. Search engines aren't objective truth-telling fact machines. You actually have to sift through a TON of garbage (like the blog you got that screen shot from). I can type in something about Bigfoot and get plenty of junk "confirmations" I could mindlessly send you. Does that mean it's true?

The study you cited is about sleep propensity and wakefulness based on "subjective, behavioral, and neuroimaging studies of meditation." Did you even read it? This has nothing to do with mental illness.

The text on that screen shot is from a blog and is actually from a 2002 abstract. It's not even a paper. Total junk.

Yes, of course we can all do things to try and mitigate stress but they do not always work - especially when we're on the topic of a diseased brain. Self regulation in the strictest sense assumes autonomous control over bodily functions. That is simply outside the human domain of possibilities. If we had to pay attention to every single thing the body did, consciousness as we know it would cease to exist.

There are certain forms of supplemental treatment that included CBT and mindfulness, which have shown some promise in some patients but certainly not all. Patients require medication for proper biochemical regulation when dealing with afflictions like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. People cannot achieve that on their own simply by meditation training. The entire problem is the inability to control many mental functions due to biochemical deficiencies. Restoration doesn't happen out of thin air. Try teaching a paranoid schizophrenic how to meditate.

Also, keep in mind that studies have to be duplicated many times independently to gain any ground. There are studies that say smoking doesn't cause cancer. Do you believe them? Do you understand how statisticians can manipulate numbers to skew the results to their favor? Do you know what to look for to be able to tell?

At this point I think the real issue is communication and being mindful of how to formulate questions. Also, feel free to chime in with thoughts on the dopamine pathways since you have such a high opinion of yourself  ;D I'm interested to hear what your ideas are on that. Maybe we can get into a a juicy discussion about Neuron–Glia Coupling in Glutathione Metabolism. What do you do for a living?

In all seriousness, this has been fun but real life calls. Being in this forum doesn't save lives or get any work done so the shadow boxing is coming to a halt. I have to return to my evil lair and conspire at my round table on how to turn you all into zombies.  ;D ;D

my point was that you could naturally regulate dopamine levels wit will and discipline .. something you said was “impossible” and “movie worthy”.

typing up long paragraphs of things that you read doesn’t give you an edge. in fact, the smartest people know how to simplify things and have the ability to say just as much with using far less words.

i fux wit u mayn, but your thought process in this thread has shown that while you’re a well learned dude, you tend to lack the ability to see outside the box. which i guess is what infinite was originally getting at LOL. but infinite is the opposite end of the spectrum, questioning if the holocaust was legit and dumbass shit like that. gota find a balance.

Safe+Sound

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2021, 09:31:10 AM »

my point was that you could naturally regulate dopamine levels wit will and discipline .. something you said was “impossible” and “movie worthy”.

typing up long paragraphs of things that you read doesn’t give you an edge. in fact, the smartest people know how to simplify things and have the ability to say just as much with using far less words.

i fux wit u mayn, but your thought process in this thread has shown that while you’re a well learned dude, you tend to lack the ability to see outside the box. which i guess is what infinite was originally getting at LOL. but infinite is the opposite end of the spectrum, questioning if the holocaust was legit and dumbass shit like that. gota find a balance.

There is no way for me to know what your level of competency is on anything related to neurobiology (or anything else for that matter). But from the brief interchange on the topic, it's clear this is very far from your area of expertise. So what may not make initial sense to you, may make perfect sense to someone else with a better background in these areas. My attempt in taking the time to flesh out certain concepts was precisely aimed at an audience that may not have that level of background, which includes you. I spent a lot of years in academia with professors who said next to nothing with the assumption that students were just supposed to "get it". Most of that comes from spending years in research discussing concepts that only a handful of people understand. This is not to say I didn't have excellent professors. Teaching is a skill and is certainly not for everyone. I certainly don't claim to be a teacher and was never interested in explaining things to people all day for a living. But if I see someone taking an interest in something in my field - whether it be critical or out of genuine curiosity - sometimes I feel like offering my two cents. After all, I earned it.

There are plenty of people WAY smarter than me - I work with some of them. But I didn't get there without any skills. So as much as forums rail on forever about opinions (which can be fun sometimes), real life doesn't quite work that way - especially in my line of work. Contributing to humanity through research is humbling, very difficult - which is why most people aren't scientists - but it's also quite rewarding. Typing in a forum thread, not so much. No grants for groundbreaking research to be found in a music forum within a thread about banning people for not liking Dr. Dre that turned into at science debate... That is a pretty epic transition though  8)

Not that I place any value on your judgements, but if putting me on the "opposite spectrum" of a delusional holocaust-denying bigot is the best you can do, I'll take it.  ;)

Thanks everyone - it's been fun. Back to work!

Sccit

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2021, 10:04:09 AM »
There is no way for me to know what your level of competency is on anything related to neurobiology (or anything else for that matter). But from the brief interchange on the topic, it's clear this is very far from your area of expertise. So what may not make initial sense to you, may make perfect sense to someone else with a better background in these areas. My attempt in taking the time to flesh out certain concepts was precisely aimed at an audience that may not have that level of background, which includes you. I spent a lot of years in academia with professors who said next to nothing with the assumption that students were just supposed to "get it". Most of that comes from spending years in research discussing concepts that only a handful of people understand. This is not to say I didn't have excellent professors. Teaching is a skill and is certainly not for everyone. I certainly don't claim to be a teacher and was never interested in explaining things to people all day for a living. But if I see someone taking an interest in something in my field - whether it be critical or out of genuine curiosity - sometimes I feel like offering my two cents. After all, I earned it.

There are plenty of people WAY smarter than me - I work with some of them. But I didn't get there without any skills. So as much as forums rail on forever about opinions (which can be fun sometimes), real life doesn't quite work that way - especially in my line of work. Contributing to humanity through research is humbling, very difficult - which is why most people aren't scientists - but it's also quite rewarding. Typing in a forum thread, not so much. No grants for groundbreaking research to be found in a music forum within a thread about banning people for not liking Dr. Dre that turned into at science debate... That is a pretty epic transition though  8)

Not that I place any value on your judgements, but if putting me on the "opposite spectrum" of a delusional holocaust-denying bigot is the best you can do, I'll take it.  ;)

Thanks everyone - it's been fun. Back to work!

:trollin:

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2021, 01:57:11 PM »

you’re missing the point..

once you’ve already learned that 3 strikes is an out, it THEN becomes dumb to question it

as someone learning the sport, yes, you ask questions and learn accordingly

but for a 40 year old who’s watched baseball his entire life to say, “hey i’m not really sure if 3 strikes is an out!”, he’d have to be pretty moronic

Okay so a kid can question if 3 strikes is an out but an adult can not..  what about if the official WW2 narrative is correct or not, can an adult question that??

In fact if I had done a better job “questioning” when I was a kid I would’ve ended up buying Efil4zaggin instead of being stuck with Concrete Roots (though “Bridgette” was dope)
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2021, 01:59:51 PM »

The Dunning-Kruger Effect

The concept of the Dunning-Kruger effect is based on a 1999 paper by Cornell University psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger [1]. The pair tested participants on their logic, grammar, and sense of humor, and found that those who performed in the bottom quartile rated their skills far above average. For example, those in the 12th percentile self-rated their expertise to be, on average, in the 62nd percentile.

The researchers attributed the trend to a problem of metacognition—the ability to analyze one’s own thoughts or performance. “Those with limited knowledge in a domain suffer a dual burden: Not only do they reach mistaken conclusions and make regrettable errors, but their incompetence robs them of the ability to realize it,” they wrote.

Confidence is so highly prized that many people would rather pretend to be smart or skilled than risk looking inadequate and losing face. Even smart people can be affected by the Dunning-Kruger effect because having intelligence isn’t the same thing as learning and developing a specific skill. Many individuals mistakenly believe that their experience and skills in one particular area are transferable to another.

Many people would describe themselves as above average in intelligence, humor, and a variety of skills. They can’t accurately judge their own competence, because they lack metacognition, or the ability to step back and examine oneself objectively. In fact, those who are the least skilled are also the most likely to overestimate their abilities.

Incompetent people, the researchers found, are not only poor performers, they are also unable to accurately assess and recognize the quality of their own work. This is the reason why students who earn failing scores on exams sometimes feel that they deserved a much higher score. They overestimate their own knowledge and ability and are incapable of seeing the poorness of their performance. Low performers are unable to recognize the skill and competence levels of other people, which is part of the reason why they consistently view themselves as better, more capable, and more knowledgeable than others.

Dunning and his colleagues have also performed experiments in which they ask respondents if they are familiar with a variety of terms related to subjects including politics, biology, physics, and geography. Along with genuine subject-relevant concepts, they interjected completely made-up terms. In one such study, approximately 90 percent of respondents claimed that they had at least some knowledge of the made-up terms. Consistent with other findings related to the Dunning-Kruger effect, the more familiar participants claimed that they were with a topic, the more likely they were to also claim they were familiar with the meaningless terms. As Dunning has suggested, the very trouble with ignorance is that it can feel just like expertise [2].

This tendency may occur because gaining a small amount of knowledge in an area about which one was previously ignorant can make people feel as though they’re suddenly virtual experts. Only after continuing to explore a topic do they realize how extensive it is and how much they still have to master.

The Dunning-Kruger effect has been found in domains ranging from logical reasoning to emotional intelligence, financial knowledge, and firearm safety. And the effect isn't spotted only among incompetent individuals; most people have weak points where the bias can take hold. It also applies to people with a seemingly solid knowledge base.

So what explains this psychological effect? Are some people simply too dense, to be blunt, to know how dim-witted they are? Dunning and Kruger suggest that this phenomenon stems from what they refer to as a "dual burden." People are not only incompetent; their incompetence robs them of the mental ability to realize just how inept they are.

Dunning has pointed out that the very knowledge and skills necessary to be good at a task are the exact same qualities that a person needs to recognize that they are not good at that task. So if a person lacks those abilities, they remain not only bad at that task but ignorant to their own inability. Dunning suggests that deficits in skill and expertise create a two-pronged problem. First, these deficits cause people to perform poorly in the domain in which they are incompetent. Secondly, their erroneous and deficient knowledge makes them unable to recognize their mistakes [3].

The Dunning-Kruger effect is also related to difficulties with metacognition, or the ability to step back and look at one's own behavior and abilities from outside of oneself. People are often only able to evaluate themselves from their own limited and highly subjective point of view. From this limited perspective, they seem highly skilled, knowledgeable, and superior to others. Because of this, people sometimes struggle to have a more realistic view of their own abilities [4].

Another contributing factor is that sometimes a tiny bit of knowledge on a subject can lead people to mistakenly believe that they know all there is to know about it. As the old saying goes, a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. A person might have the slimmest bit of awareness about a subject, yet thanks to the Dunning-Kruger effect, believe that he or she is an expert. Other factors that can contribute to the effect include our use of heuristics, or mental shortcuts that allow us to make decisions quickly, and our tendency to seek out patterns even where none exist. Our minds are primed to try to make sense of the disparate array of information we deal with on a daily basis. As we try to cut through the confusion and interpret our own abilities and performance within our individual worlds, it is perhaps not surprising that we sometimes fail so completely to accurately judge how well we do [5].

So is there anything that can minimize this phenomenon? Is there a point at which the incompetent actually recognize their own ineptitude? "We are all engines of misbelief," Dunning has suggested. While we are all prone to experiencing the Dunning-Kruger effect, learning more about how the mind works and the mistakes we are all susceptible to might be one step toward correcting such patterns. I study the brain and how the mind works for a living.

Source [1]: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10626367/
Source [2]: https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/59805/Atir_cornellgrad_0058F_11018.pdf?sequence=1
Source [3]: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/B9780123855220000056?via%3Dihub
Source [4]: https://doi.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Fxge0000579
Source [5]: https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758%2Fs13423-017-1242-7

Lol.. somebody knows how to use Google, congrats 👏
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BIGWORM

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2021, 08:41:26 AM »
but yet you bash daz n snoop?

lmfao weird...