Author Topic: LL Cool J Reveals Xxplosive Was Originally For Him  (Read 287 times)

Sccit

LL Cool J Reveals Xxplosive Was Originally For Him
« on: February 08, 2022, 12:10:07 AM »

dnjp4life

Re: LL Cool J Reveals Xxplosive Was Originally For Him
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 02:02:28 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that the beat was meant for King Tee's Thy Kingdom Come album?

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 02:14:22 PM »
Dres beats are for anyone really. The ones he likes best he keeps for himself and doesn't share but the rest are just lying around. 50 got his beats by going through old premix DATs and picking them out like that whereas Bishop was actually getting beats made tailored specifically for him which were built from the ground up around concepts.

Darn shame how that played out but you can see why Bish was pissed after recording 700 tracks and have Dre be like "That ain't it". You can tell Dre was banking on him as well in terms of longevity/marquee star to replace 50 as he never fw him like that, that was Ems act so he was once removed but looked after indirectly. Thats why the mixing on his albums always sucked as he got leftover unfinished beats that weren't given that extra polish.

Bishop I think could've changed the entire direction of rap if Dre hadn't done him like that and you all wouldn't be siting here waiting for a West comeback as he would've took the game in a far more cerebral direction and bought real MC skills back to the spotlight on Aftermath in that era.

Thanks Dre!

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life, Orbyte

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 02:17:29 PM »
Dres beats are for anyone really. The ones he likes best he keeps for himself and doesn't share but the rest are just lying around. 50 got his beats by going through old premix DATs and picking them out like that whereas Bishop was actually getting beats made tailored specifically for him which were built from the ground up around concepts.

Darn shame how that played out but you can see why Bish was pissed after recording 700 tracks and have Dre be like "That ain't it". You can tell Dre was banking on him as well in terms of longevity/marquee star to replace 50 as he never fw him like that, that was Ems act so he was once removed but looked after indirectly. Thats why the mixing on his albums always sucked as he got leftover unfinished beats that weren't given that extra polish.

Bishop I think could've changed the entire direction of rap if Dre hadn't done him like that and you all wouldn't be siting here waiting for a West comeback as he would've took the game in a far more cerebral direction and bought real MC skills back to the spotlight on Aftermath in that era.

Thanks Dre!

bishop is dope but he lacks the star power to make a splash

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 02:17:59 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that the beat was meant for King Tee's Thy Kingdom Come album?

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 02:38:50 PM »

A reasonable take but then you could say the same about Jay Z and he finessed himself into the position of defacto rap don whilst being an awkward, rhyme biting, swagger jacking introvert.

At least Bishop had charisma and that Dre cosign could've took him places. After all Snooper Dooper could barely perform on camera during G Thang etc.. and then eventually opened up. Same with Bishop. Using his mixtapes and loosies you could whip up at least 3 full LPs that would've been hailed as classics if dropping in mid 00s as intended.

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

chtimixeur

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 03:42:13 PM »
Dre hasn't been the same ever since he gave on up on Bishop. It's like he worked too much on that project and got burnt out forever afterwards. Some of those beats were nasty. Such a shame.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2022, 04:04:47 PM »
A reasonable take but then you could say the same about Jay Z and he finessed himself into the position of defacto rap don whilst being an awkward, rhyme biting, swagger jacking introvert.

At least Bishop had charisma and that Dre cosign could've took him places. After all Snooper Dooper could barely perform on camera during G Thang etc.. and then eventually opened up. Same with Bishop. Using his mixtapes and loosies you could whip up at least 3 full LPs that would've been hailed as classics if dropping in mid 00s as intended.

i get what you’re sayin but i don’t feel like bishop really had anything about him that stood out .. jay-z, for as much of a biter and awkward swagger jacker he was, had that signature voice that you couldn’t really mistake

bishop blends in a lil too much if we keepin it a buck

h2k4

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 06:21:03 PM »

i get what you’re sayin but i don’t feel like bishop really had anything about him that stood out .. jay-z, for as much of a biter and awkward swagger jacker he was, had that signature voice that you couldn’t really mistake

bishop blends in a lil too much if we keepin it a buck
Absolutely agree. Bishop was never going to become a star like Snoop, Em, Game, K. Dot. He is/was just too boring. He probably would have been better off writing for other people. Same goes for SixTwo. Even though I liked his flow, he just didn't have that 'it' factor. The one that I thought Dre could have invested more in was Hittman.

Jay-Z happen to slide into a huge void that NY was looking for after BIG died. It was just a case of timing and producers giving him fire beats as singles.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 06:27:57 PM »
Absolutely agree. Bishop was never going to become a star like Snoop, Em, Game, K. Dot. He is/was just too boring. He probably would have been better off writing for other people. Same goes for SixTwo. Even though I liked his flow, he just didn't have that 'it' factor. The one that I thought Dre could have invested more in was Hittman.

Jay-Z happen to slide into a huge void that NY was looking for after BIG died. It was just a case of timing and producers giving him fire beats as singles.

HITTMAN SHOULDA DROPPED, BUT EVEN HIM, I SEE MORE AS IN THAT MC REN ROLE AS OPPOSED TO GLOBAL SOLO ACT

KNOC IS THE ONE WHO HAD STAR POWER N LET IT SLIP

BUT TBH, KNOC WAS NEVER REALLY THE BEST RAPPER.. HE JUST HAD THE VOICE, IMAGE, AND ORIGINALITY

MAYBE KNOC WITH BISHOP WRITING FOR HIM IS THE ANSWER

:toobad:

So Much Style

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2022, 06:42:11 PM »
great convo in this threat. i agree with the guy with no name on a lot of this with bishop
So much style back at it again

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2022, 07:06:47 PM »
Knoc and hittman were doper than Bishop but back to the topic LL really fucked that one up. How can you say a Dre beat just not sounding right. He probably means his vocals not sounding right

thegooddoc

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 07:26:30 PM »

Yeah, he was nice with the pen, had a cool voice, but could never get the traction.  I think he would have been more successful as Dre's ghostwriter.  A Dre version of Grow Up would have made more sense. 

Lucifuge

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 01:43:25 PM »
Bishops mixtapes are fire till this day. I dont know why he aint big superstar. He got charisma, flows, club bangers, deep tracks, lyrical tracks, strip club bangers, club bangers, ladys track etc. Truth be told, that time was wierd time in gil hop. He just didnt fit.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 12:56:58 AM »
Yep. He was a 90s rapper in the mid 00s without the previous following to match and Dre didn't give him a chance.

I think he was one of the best the West had ever seen in terms of depth as he wasn't a flat 2D cartoon rapper loaded with cliches and predictability and his catalogue is still very replayable. Leagues above Knoc, Hitmann and the rest of those in the running as he had everything needed to be a top flight MC, could create catchy hooks and had a perfect ear for beats and the flow to use on em.

With the right push and marketing, especially with Dre signing off, he could've been huge. Sorta like a semi conscious backpack gangbanger lane like a proto Kanye as he loved being controversial too.

Personally I think he was too pro Black/politically conscious which he liberally sprinkled over the ignorance and buffoonery ala Pac and Iovine is the one who killed his career because its obvious Dre was fucking with him. No Bruce.

Simply too much talent to not be recognized and he could've single-handedly took rap in a whole nother direction by making witty lyrics/concepts and skills come back at a point when rap was starting to fall off. Like I said thats why it makes sense that Iovine is the reason he was benched because he represents the interests of keeping people in low vibration state of mind and there was obviously a lot of militancy in Bishop as opposed to 50 who was all about the money and would sell whatever image they wanted and Iovine still got him out the paint after using him to increase the murder rate. See Rakim who wouldn't switch up either. Game did so they pushed him.

Aftermath was founded on uplifting but found that noise sells more so went that path but only from rappers who really ain't bought it because Pac still haunts Jimmy to this day.