Author Topic: Erik Sermon Appreciation Thread  (Read 226 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Erik Sermon Appreciation Thread
« on: February 09, 2022, 07:10:35 PM »
(As you know I don’t waste my time with the inferior and irrelevant new shit that’s released.  Most their good ideas are just recycled from the golden age 80’s/90’s era and politically they are still doing “fuck the police” like it’s the 1980’s and don’t even know that we’ve just had a Medical NWO Great Reset takeover that put everyone on house arrest, forcibly injected the entire globe (that is actually a flat earth) and muzzled, censored, and cancelled—but you wouldn’t know it listening to new HipHop—so fucc them...)

My latest discover is Erik Sermon... this fuccin guy is incredible and doesn’t get enough props... and everyone bites his shit... I’m gonna add some of his best stuff here.  Even Dre seems to get ideas from him.  In 97’ Dre was doing a script for a movie “please listen to my demo” which was a title of one of Erik’s biggest tracks, EPMD had used the “California Love” sample before Dre and JD borrowed the same sample for Kris Kris hit “Tonites the Night” I’ll make a list later but it feels like all the early 90’s stuff Erik was using influenced the mid to late 90’s...

Erik was still making noise even after the early 90’s “Da Joint” is a fire track that looks back on the 90’s, “Music” is a banger and he linked up with Quik and Xzibit for a banger (that as a side note featured some of the baddest video hoes)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 07:22:29 PM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Teddy Loc

Sccit

Re: Erik Sermon Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 08:15:03 PM »
legend

one of the first artists to incorporate funk in hip-hop

doggfather

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 11:10:27 PM »
so u trapped in the 90s and still dont know shit bout it?

every week make a thread bout a shinning star of the decade with the comment u discovered NOW.

how the hell that happened?

what did u listen back than?

if only a few cats than why u trapped then?
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 02:17:58 AM »
so u trapped in the 90s and still dont know shit bout it?

every week make a thread bout a shinning star of the decade with the comment u discovered NOW.

how the hell that happened?

what did u listen back than?

if only a few cats than why u trapped then?

I’m not claiming to be an expert on the early 90’s (and this is why I’m going back so if you know something you can put me up on game instead of trying to hate) I was only like 9 years old when Erik Sermon was in his prime and really making noise.  I didn’t even become a head until the Chronic dropped so anything pre-Chronic is before my time.  Before that I only knew of hits like “Mama Said Knock You Out” or “O.P.P.”

I didn’t even know who NWA was... I went to the store to find some pre-Chronic Dre material and bought Concrete Roots because I didn’t even know about NWA.  Not to mention it was pre-internet so unless you were growing up in LA or NY and in the scene your only routes to exposure were MTV, BET, the Source, and then whatever you had money to buy in stores.  I only had scratch to buy an album ever few months so I only bought Death Row shit

doggfather

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 02:44:28 AM »
just an example whats my problem:

u said the apple is your favourite. thats your choice.

but u aint tryed strawbery ever.

how can u say strawbery is bad?

and how can u say the apple is the best when u aint tryed all kind of apples either??

I aint know u. But these statments and facts u sayin is wierdo, sorry.

fact, and dumb shit: u sayin time to time everything after the 90s is wack. not worse, wack and worthless to listen.

fact #2 and interesting: the 90s is the BEST era meanwhile u aint know the 90s. how can u compare with the 80s or the 2000 or nowdays?

for the record u and me kinda same age. i aint know a lot of music from the 90s too. neva call myself an expert, but i neva take any FACTS beside u.
i am asking, and sayin my oppinion. nutin more.

this is (the way u work) strange to me.

thats why i askin.

not your money, and why u aint listened these back in the day. thats obvious and same here.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 07:27:45 AM »
just an example whats my problem:

u said the apple is your favourite. thats your choice.

but u aint tryed strawbery ever.

how can u say strawbery is bad?

and how can u say the apple is the best when u aint tryed all kind of apples either??

I aint know u. But these statments and facts u sayin is wierdo, sorry.

fact, and dumb shit: u sayin time to time everything after the 90s is wack. not worse, wack and worthless to listen.

fact #2 and interesting: the 90s is the BEST era meanwhile u aint know the 90s. how can u compare with the 80s or the 2000 or nowdays?

for the record u and me kinda same age. i aint know a lot of music from the 90s too. neva call myself an expert, but i neva take any FACTS beside u.
i am asking, and sayin my oppinion. nutin more.

this is (the way u work) strange to me.

thats why i askin.

not your money, and why u aint listened these back in the day. thats obvious and same here.

Nas came out with Hip-Hop is Dead at the end of 2006.  So anything after 2006 is wack.  G Unit was the last great era (as Nas said).  So that's 13 years worth of music where I was steady checkin for new shit.  From 93' when I first heard the Chronic up until 2006.  That's a lot of years worth of music.  Half of that time was pre-internet so there's a gang of shit that I missed even when I was a head.  Like Mob Deep the only Mob Deep I ever bumped was their joint on Sunset Park and the only reason I got that album was because Death Row was on it.  I only had money in the 90's to buy anything Death Row related.  So there was a lot I missed

There's only 24 hours in a day.  So I ain't got time to try every strawberry that grows from the tree.  My chances of finding great music are are tremendously higher eating from the Apple Tree of 80-92 (all years I missed) and then even 93-2006 (because I didn't have money to check out everything and it was pre Apple Itunes)

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 08:39:09 AM »
Nas came out with Hip-Hop is Dead at the end of 2006.  So anything after 2006 is wack.  G Unit was the last great era (as Nas said).  So that's 13 years worth of music where I was steady checkin for new shit.  From 93' when I first heard the Chronic up until 2006.  That's a lot of years worth of music.  Half of that time was pre-internet so there's a gang of shit that I missed even when I was a head.  Like Mob Deep the only Mob Deep I ever bumped was their joint on Sunset Park and the only reason I got that album was because Death Row was on it.  I only had money in the 90's to buy anything Death Row related.  So there was a lot I missed

There's only 24 hours in a day.  So I ain't got time to try every strawberry that grows from the tree.  My chances of finding great music are are tremendously higher eating from the Apple Tree of 80-92 (all years I missed) and then even 93-2006 (because I didn't have money to check out everything and it was pre Apple Itunes)

how can everything post 2006 be whack if u said compton is a classic?

Duck Duck Doggy

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 08:48:05 AM »
I became familiar with Erick Sermon from Redman debut album. Always thought he was dope since then and then he had that track “music” with the Marvin Gaye sample that got a lot of love on the radio out west in the early 2000s. All the EPMD albums are dope and all his work with Redman and Keith Murray is great.

k1000

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »
listen to the whole EPMD catalog here: https://epmddefsquad.bandcamp.com/

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 10:21:54 AM »
I became familiar with Erick Sermon from Redman debut album. Always thought he was dope since then and then he had that track “music” with the Marvin Gaye sample that got a lot of love on the radio out west in the early 2000s. All the EPMD albums are dope and all his work with Redman and Keith Murray is great.

Dope.. nice to see some others got love for Erik Sermon at the forum.  Surprised he never did a track with Dre's camp because stuff keeps poppin up that was used by Dre affiliates

Warren G - "I Shot the Sherrif" influenced by "Back in Business"

What's that joint from Doggfather?  "Snoop Bounce"?  That's influenced by an EPMD track..

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 10:41:52 AM »
East Coast DJ Quik in terms of skill, influence and lack of recognition commercially although heads that know, know.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2022, 01:52:32 AM »

Here’s a dope interview from E Dubb.. and he’s right he never got his respect in the game, how many times does this dude’s name ever come up as one of the greatest.. other thing I like is the respect he has for all the Death Row artists even though they’ve never recorded much together you can tell there’s a lot of mutual respect there, this is from 93’

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2022, 02:25:01 AM »
Must see documentary on E Dubb "EPMD Unsung"

Teddy Loc

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 10:58:02 PM »
That 1st Eric Sermon solo album is classic.

8)
#NoDoubt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 10:52:56 AM »
See… no coincidence, once Infinite starts speaking about the E-dubb now you get this news Dre is working with Erik for the first time in their friendship and I mentioned above how they always had a mutual respect but surprised they never worked together.  Infinite is tapped into the musical mind of Dre.  Same thing happened I started bumping duckdown/OGC//Boot Camp/Heltah Skeltah shit a couple years ago and soon after they Asked Dre in an interview what he’d been listening too he said bootcamp affiliates etc

https://uproxx.com/music/dr-dre-epmd-erick-sermon-collaborating/