Author Topic: Snoop Dogg Still Negotiating 2Pac & Dr. Dre Albums After Death Row Deal  (Read 2343 times)

Sccit

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.68304/title.snoop-dogg-still-negotiating-2pac-dr-dre-albums-after-death-row-deal

"Snoop Dogg acquired the Death Row Records brand earlier this month, elating West Coast rap fans. But it turns out the terms of the deal are reportedly still “being negotiated” and it’s likely several of Dr. Dre and 2Pac albums won’t be included. According to Billboard, 2Pac‘s Death Row albums All Eyez On Me and The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory are technically “no longer on the label,” meaning Snoop wouldn’t have access to them.

Similarly, Dr. Dre’s 1992 solo debut The Chronic — another Death Row release — might not be returned until early 2023, which would inadvertently make Snoop Dogg the best-selling artist on the roster. As explained in the report, specifics of Death Row’s catalog portion of the widely publicized deal are under negotiation so until the deal closes, MNRK Music Group and investment firm Blackstone are still the owners of the Death Row catalog entries.

Death Row Records has exchanged hands numerous times since its 1990s inception and Snoop Dogg is just the latest person to step in. Snoop acquired the Death Row brand from MNRK Music Group (formerly eOne Music), which is controlled by private equity funds managed by Blackstone.

“I am thrilled and appreciative of the opportunity to acquire the iconic and culturally significant Death Row Records brand, which has immense untapped future value,” Snoop Dogg said in a statement. “It feels good to have ownership of the label I was part of at the beginning of my career and as one of the founding members. This is an extremely meaningful moment for me.

“I would like to personally thank the teams at Blackstone, MNRK and especially David Kestnbaum, who worked collaboratively with me over several months to make this exciting homecoming a reality. I’m looking forward to building the next chapter of Death Row Records.”

Snoop Dogg released his Back On Death Row (B.O.D.R.) album earlier this month via the iconic label and Create Music group. He also joined Dr. Dre, Eminem, 50 Cent, Kendrick Lamar and Mary J. Blige for the historic Pepsi Halftime Show during Super Bowl LVI on February 13."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:47:49 PM by Sccit »

astra4322

Re: Snoop Dogg Still Negotiating 2Pac & Dr. Dre Albums After Death Row Deal
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 11:10:18 PM »
As I said - he only acquired rights to brand. Nothing else. He changed the logo so only name remains the same.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 10:43:32 AM »
As I said - he only acquired rights to brand. Nothing else. He changed the logo so only name remains the same.

Pretty much. BODR and the news of rebranding were mostly useful for the merchandise. The Good part is that the unreleased stuff can be part of NFT.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 11:53:47 PM »
Seems like that would be a fortune to own the masters of such iconic albums as the Chronic, AEOM, and 7 Day Theory.   But would be great if the whole thing made its way into the paws of Snoop.  Great to see they are atleast linking up for concerts under the Death Row banner.

I don’t understand hiphop economics anymore.  I used to have a great grasp on how the business side of the industry worked from street teams to record sales, indie labels and majors—I used to study that side of the industry and track all the sales and revenues and root for my fav artists to succeed and for the Jay-Z’s of the industry to fail.

Now I don’t understand anything about how economics works.  When you can download music for free how the fucc is anybody making money.  I don’t understand it at all—post G Unit era.

Only thing I can say is that an album like 7 Day Theory could be regarded as something like the Mona Lisa a hundred years from now—(or it could be zero since music is free).  It’s really hard for me to wrap my head around so this deal could end up making  Snoop a billionaire or cause him to lose a fortune.  Who knows
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

astra4322

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 06:22:07 AM »
Pretty much. BODR and the news of rebranding were mostly useful for the merchandise. The Good part is that the unreleased stuff can be part of NFT.

Snoop doesn’t own rights to any death row material.

Safe+Sound

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 06:39:22 AM »
https://hypebeast.com/2022/2/2pac-dr-dre-albums-reportedly-not-included-snoop-dogg-death-row-records-acquisition

"If reports are accurate and both 2Pac and Dr. Dre’s albums leave the Death Row catalog, over 50% of the catalog’s activity will disappear and Snoop Dogg will become the label’s best-selling artist with Doggystyle, Doggfather and the recently-released Back on Death Row. The catalog also holds film soundtracks like Above The Rim and Gridlock’d, compilation albums like Christmas on Death Row and records from Lady of Rage, Daz Dillinger and Kurupt."

"According to Billboard’s estimates, the Death Row catalog — including All Eyez On Me, The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory and The Chronic — earned previous owners MNRK approximately $15 million USD in revenue in 2021. If the three albums are removed, the label could make approximately $6 million USD in revenue, with nearly half of that total coming from Snoop Dogg’s records."

astra4322

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 06:52:45 AM »
He bought only brand.

Okka

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 07:58:01 AM »
He bought only brand.

Yes, but he will probably soon have the rights to release music too.

astra4322

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 08:05:04 AM »
Yes, but he will probably soon have the rights to release music too.

In Europe version of apple music I don’t have Gang Related, Daz solo not speaking of Murder was the case.

dnjp4life

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2022, 09:33:47 AM »
In Europe version of apple music I don’t have Gang Related, Daz solo not speaking of Murder was the case.

That’s why you should own hard copies of these classics  :)

I hope Dogg can get this deal over the line and get the rights to the 2Pac music and the Chronic album.  Maybe if he does he’ll get the unreleased 2Pac out there as an official release, it’s not as if 2Pac’s estate are going to do anything about it at this point.

I’m surprised Dr. Dre doesn’t want to own the masters to his debut solo, I could swear a while back he blocked its rerelease by WIDEAwake. He must have at least some rights to his Death Row stuff?

astra4322

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 09:46:16 AM »

I hope Dogg can get this deal over the line and get the rights to the 2Pac music and the Chronic album.  Maybe if he does he’ll get the unreleased 2Pac out there as an official release, it’s not as if 2Pac’s estate are going to do anything about it at this point.

I’m surprised Dr. Dre doesn’t want to own the masters to his debut solo, I could swear a while back he blocked its rerelease by WIDEAwake. He must have at least some rights to his Death Row stuff?
I own cds nevertheless I don’t use them anymore. Maybe just for rips purposes.

Safe+Sound

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 09:46:43 PM »
Billboard just published an article stating that Snoop has closed the deal with Deathrow which includes the brand AND  "Snoop Dogg's first two albums and other releases."

"The deal gives SNOOP DOGG ownership of his albums 1993’s DOGGYSTYLE and 1996’s THA DOGGFATHER, along with some movie soundtracks, a couple of compilation albums and a few artist albums by the likes of LADY OF RAGE, DAZ DILLINGER and KURUPT ... TUPAC SHAKUR and DR. DRE are not included in the recent purchase of the DEATH ROW label by SNOOP DOGG. SHAKUR’s albums ALL EYEZ ON ME and THE DON KILLUMINATI: THE 7 DAY THEORY are 'no longer on the label' as of last month. THE CHRONIC by DR. DRE is not included but is reportedly slated to be back on the label as early as next year. Apparently, negotiations are already in progress. "

https://www.billboard.com/pro/snoop-dogg-death-row-recording-catalog-masters-deal/
https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/215982/snoop-dogg-closes-deal-on-death-row-music-s-record

Complex also reported on it:

"Financial executives who specialize in music assets say Snoop’s Death Row deal is valued at $50 million .. he now has full control of his 1993 effort Doggystyle, his 1996 project Tha Doggfather, as well as a number of soundtracks, compilations, and records by artists like Daz Dillinger, Lady of Rage, and Kurupt ... Pac projects are now owned by Amaru Entertainment and the Tupac estate, while Dre’s sole Death Row album is expected to return to him sometime in 2023."

https://www.complex.com/music/snoop-dogg-death-row-recording-catalog-deal
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 09:56:26 PM by Safe+Sound »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 12:45:12 AM »
Billboard just published an article stating that Snoop has closed the deal with Deathrow which includes the brand AND  "Snoop Dogg's first two albums and other releases."

"The deal gives SNOOP DOGG ownership of his albums 1993’s DOGGYSTYLE and 1996’s THA DOGGFATHER, along with some movie soundtracks, a couple of compilation albums and a few artist albums by the likes of LADY OF RAGE, DAZ DILLINGER and KURUPT ... TUPAC SHAKUR and DR. DRE are not included in the recent purchase of the DEATH ROW label by SNOOP DOGG. SHAKUR’s albums ALL EYEZ ON ME and THE DON KILLUMINATI: THE 7 DAY THEORY are 'no longer on the label' as of last month. THE CHRONIC by DR. DRE is not included but is reportedly slated to be back on the label as early as next year. Apparently, negotiations are already in progress. "

https://www.billboard.com/pro/snoop-dogg-death-row-recording-catalog-masters-deal/
https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/215982/snoop-dogg-closes-deal-on-death-row-music-s-record

Complex also reported on it:

"Financial executives who specialize in music assets say Snoop’s Death Row deal is valued at $50 million .. he now has full control of his 1993 effort Doggystyle, his 1996 project Tha Doggfather, as well as a number of soundtracks, compilations, and records by artists like Daz Dillinger, Lady of Rage, and Kurupt ... Pac projects are now owned by Amaru Entertainment and the Tupac estate, while Dre’s sole Death Row album is expected to return to him sometime in 2023."

https://www.complex.com/music/snoop-dogg-death-row-recording-catalog-deal

Sounds like he’s pretty close to owning all the music as well.  Except for Pac albums

Also, did someone above say that 7 Day Theory is still generating millions every year, even in 2021??  How does that work?  Is that like from internet downloads, what about music videos?  YouTube death row, etc
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Tony Trey

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2022, 04:09:25 AM »

It's been a while since the Dre and Death Row lawsuit, but I seem to recall the rights being split.  I think the judge found something along the lines of the original contract that Dre signed never anticipated digital media, so Death Row had the rights to release hard copies, like cassettes, CDs, and vinyls, but needed Dre's permission to release digital copies or put the album on streaming platforms.

EDIT:  Found an article that details the outcome of the lawsuit.  Dre is entitled to 100% of the proceeds from digital formats.  Dre's music can only be released by Death Row in cassette, CD, vinyl, or 8-tracks by paying him an 18% to 20% royalty.  However, even with the royalty, he has substantial control over his music, such that they cannot use it on compilations (or presumably remix anything) without his authority.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/dr-dre-wins-lawsuit-against-death-row-digital-rights-to-the-chronic-471965/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 04:16:04 AM by Tony Trey »

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Okka

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 02:41:34 AM »
I heard they finished the deal and "The Chronic" and Pac's albums are not included. It's a damn shame.