Author Topic: Sam Sneed productions  (Read 1124 times)

Sam Sneed productions
« on: March 11, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »
Sneed always played it super humble in interviews saying how his beats were wack and it was all Dre etc.. But unlike Dres other collabs I feel that what we heard labeled as Dre was actually 80% Sneed with 20% of Dres sprinkles and mixdown bringing it life. Listen:

Thats the 80%. Good concepts with poor execution because its a demo rough cut. Here's what Dre polished up with some studio magic and skills:

I never listened to Sneed until recently but you can hear his style saturating his beats and the way he puts thing together is totally different to Dres other DR work.

You can hear how he built his tracks from the bass up and left little room for anything else. Dre could pick it all apart, put it back together again and give it air and knock which is a skill.

Long story longer, Sneed produced Keep Their Heads Ringing, Natural Born Killaz and U Better Recognize as well as having his hands all over the stuff from the Exclusive Unreleased album that leaked of early Aftermath.

Don't believe? Listen to his earlier works and you'll feel the exact same groove and template:

Can you hear that late DR/early Aftermath vibe?

Sneed was, and is, the secret behind the Death Row sound and he's the one that bought in Mel Man, Stu B Doo as well as giving Dre the next step of the blueprint that he initially sharked from ATL. Listen closely, tell me if you still think Dre produced this:

Listen closely to all the DR productions accredited to Dre that don't feature samples and you'll start to notice a pattern in them. The Exclusive album makes it even more obvious who was creating the sound.

Re: Sam Sneed productions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »
Don't come in with that beat maker vs producer thing either because we all know Dres skill isn't in creating something out of nothing but polishing a rough cut to a perfect shine. NBK is a perfect example of this because whilst the beat itself screams Sneed the arrangement, the breaks, the sprinkles are all Dre and that is why people who work with him don't sound the same without him.

The point is jacking of credit, taking the shine and selling dreams to people who can't tell whats what.

Just chill, listen to the beats he steals, shady deals enables he to make another mil... I think U better recognize...

Feelin thirsty breh?

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 09:38:35 AM »
Nice post... "Recognize" still bangs and is one of the dopes joints ever.  Dude is really talented, and I agree he was a major contributor and Dre's go-to for 94-96.

But where do you think Daz plays in all this.  I mean you are saying Sneed was the man behind the Death Row sound, but what about Daz.  What about Dogg Food album. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »
Daz back in 92 was a very, very basic producer. Loop some drums, throw a sample on top and call it a beat. He's evolved since then and is quite proficient but the skill on Dogg Food wasn't 100% Daz.

I posted on this a while back with example but Quik added all the jazzy instruments and swing to the bare bones beats thats Daz made. Listen, not even closely because its so obvious when it comes to Quiks sound and layers:

Percussion and drum programming is all Daz on these two but the production over the top is Quik. For reference, this is what a Daz beat sounds like dolo, fresh out of the lab:

When Quik "engineers" he actually ends up lacing the beat 9/10. If he mods the percussion it becomes super obvious but if its just layers then its easier to hide but you can spot Quiks works because it always has a jazzy bounce/melody in contrast to Dres preferred staccato. Quik also has a tendency to overproduce a track as he just keeps laying it on because he's got the skill to mix it as well which is why his best work is often on other peoples tracks where he is more limited. Dre is the flip where he can take a basic 8 bar beat and produce it into a full song beyond the beatmakers wildest dreams.

The closest Daz came to getting this intricate was when he was working with Mike Dean because he's a beast in the studio and loves layers too. It takes a certain kind of ear to produce like that, usually if you're an engineer as you know about the overhead, fidelity and all that jazz.

Side note: This just popped up in recommended vids:

Now, if you'll excuse me it must be C Walk O'clock.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 10:02:00 AM by ⠀ »

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Okka

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022, 12:01:34 PM »
Sam Sneed has said he made the the original beats for "Natural Born Killaz" and "Keep Their Heads Ringing". We already know that. He had nothing to do with the remix of "MWTC" though.

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 12:18:07 PM »
Listen to not only the beat but concept of the Lady of Rage track and do the math, Aftermath.

Interesting he put it out there though, do you have a link to the interview?

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 09:06:55 PM »
Sam Sneed Beats, J-Flexx Lyrics = "Dr.Dre"

Daz was TOP NOTCH on Dogg Food & overall hes a dope Producer.

The following users thanked this post:

The Predator

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 05:45:17 AM »
Recorded 'Recognize' of the radio once onto tape, played the cassette in a freinds car alpine and he couldnt believe how clean it sounded  8)

astra4322

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 05:49:55 AM »

Retalliation..by Daz is like Dogg Food 2 for me.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 06:58:24 AM »
Retalliation..by Daz is like Dogg Food 2 for me.

Definitely. Crazy Lineup.

Okka

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 06:58:46 AM »

You really think "Dogg Food" was all Daz? Come on now. I know you not serious.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 12:07:23 PM »
You really think "Dogg Food" was all Daz? Come on now. I know you not serious.

Maybe not all Daz but DRE almost NO INVOLVMENT PRODUCTIONWISE besides Mixing,etc.

Sure people like Emmanuel Dean & Overdose helped ... that's two I can think of rn.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 02:38:15 PM »
sneed is dope but he is also a realist .. he knows that although he was a great beatmaker, it took someone like dre to truly bring the best out of him and make his beats pop. that’s why anytime u talk to sneed, even if u hit him up on twitter today, he will tell u the same thing. dre took dope beats and turned them into classix with his attention to detail.

daz is not as musically developed as sneed, yet he is the opposite of sneed when it comes to humility. he will take credit for beats dre produced because he came up wit a simple drum loop or found a dope sample to chop up for it.

btw not sure where u get the idea that quik did dogg food.. dre ghost produced a majority of that album.

heisenberg

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 03:32:34 AM »
Maybe not all Daz but DRE almost NO INVOLVMENT PRODUCTIONWISE besides Mixing,etc.

Sure people like Emmanuel Dean & Overdose helped ... that's two I can think of rn.

snoop said dre helped with production on dogg food but he is not credited for. who knows

astra4322

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 03:48:51 AM »
On my 1st press of Dogg Food on the back cover it stands "EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: SUGE KNIGHT AND DR.DRE".