Author Topic: Dr. Dre, the rights to The Chronic, and Death Row Records...  (Read 380 times)

sweetdudejim

Dr. Dre, the rights to The Chronic, and Death Row Records...
« on: April 13, 2022, 08:12:06 PM »
Okay, so first off, when it was announced (in 2015 I think) that The Chronic was finally coming to iTunes, Amazon, and digital streaming services. Surprisingly to me the copyright information still listed Death Row Records. And now, with everything Death Row (minus 2Pac's albums) now missing from streaming, it seems like Dre's album is still part of the Death Row catalogue. And this is where I'm confused.

I thought years ago that Dre had acquired back The Chronic from Death Row, which he willingly left back in '96 as part of the settlement to leave Suge behind and start Aftermath Entertainment with a clean slate.

So what's the deal? Is the album still a Death Row property? Seems like it is. Like if it were to ever get a deluxe reissue (a real one, unlike that WideAwake garbage), would it appear on Death Row or Aftermath?

Also, what about the random Dre cuts that featured him as the main artist from the Death Row years? "Keep Their Heads Ringin'", "Natural Born Killaz", "One Eight Seven" (not to be confused with "Deep Cover") and "Puffin' on Blunts and Drankin' Tanqueray"? All of those (and "Deep Cover" as well) should be easily available online and the only one that is, is "Keep Their Heads Ringin'." And who owns "Deep Cover" anyways? I assume its not Death Row, cuz I don't feel like they ever made much point of re-issuing it. But then I just looked and I saw a 2006 reissue of the single from Death Row. I don't know.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 11:28:40 PM by sweetdudejim »

Sccit

Re: Dr. Dre, the rights to The Chronic, and Death Row Records...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 09:57:57 PM »
from what i’ve gathered, it’s still owned by Death Row, but Dre has partial rights as far as blocking releases etc.

i could be wrong, and i’m not sure of the specifics, so maybe someone else who knows better can chime in.

Tony Trey

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 03:50:26 AM »
Okay, so first off, when it was announced (in 2015 I think) that The Chronic was finally coming to iTunes, Amazon, and digital streaming services. Surprisingly to me the copyright information still listed Death Row Records. And now, with everything Death Row (minus 2Pac's albums) now missing from streaming, it seems like Dre's album is still part of the Death Row catalogue. And this is where I'm confused.

I thought years ago that Dre had acquired back The Chronic from Death Row, which he willingly left back in '96 as part of the settlement to leave Suge behind and start Aftermath Entertainment with a clean slate.

So what's the deal? Is the album still a Death Row property? Seems like it is. Like if it were to ever get a deluxe reissue (a real one, unlike that WideAwake garbage), would it appear on Death Row or Aftermath?

Also, what about the random Dre cuts that featured him as the main artist from the Death Row years? "Keep Their Heads Ringin'", "Natural Born Killaz", "One Eight Seven" (not to be confused with "Deep Cover") and "Puffin' on Blunts and Drankin' Tanqueray"? All of those (and "Deep Cover" as well) should be easily available online and the only one that is, is "Keep Their Heads Ringin'." And who owns "Deep Cover" anyways? I assume its not Death Row, cuz I don't feel like they ever made much point of re-issuing it. But then I just looked and I saw a 2006 reissue of the single from Death Row. I don't know.

When Dre sued Death Row about 10 or 15 years ago, the rights were split because the original contract did not consider digital formats.  So essentially, Dre was entitled to 100% of the proceeds from digital formats and Death Row could only release it in digital formats with his permission.  On the other hand, Death Row had full authority to release the Chronic in cassette, CD, vinyl, or 8-tracks whenever they wised by paying Dre an 18% to 20% royalty.  However, even with the royalty, he had substantial control over his music, such that they cannot use it on compilations, release unreleased material, or presumably remix anything without his authority.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/dr-dre-wins-lawsuit-against-death-row-digital-rights-to-the-chronic-471965/

The following users thanked this post: Al Bundy, Marco, Orbyte

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 11:45:06 AM »
When Dre sued Death Row about 10 or 15 years ago, the rights were split because the original contract did not consider digital formats.  So essentially, Dre was entitled to 100% of the proceeds from digital formats and Death Row could only release it in digital formats with his permission.  On the other hand, Death Row had full authority to release the Chronic in cassette, CD, vinyl, or 8-tracks whenever they wised by paying Dre an 18% to 20% royalty.  However, even with the royalty, he had substantial control over his music, such that they cannot use it on compilations, release unreleased material, or presumably remix anything without his authority.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/dr-dre-wins-lawsuit-against-death-row-digital-rights-to-the-chronic-471965/

there we go

thanks

astra4322

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 11:37:16 PM »
By the way now we are sure (after Snoops interview posted in other thread) that we won’t get Death Reo catalogue back on streaming platforms. It’s confirmed to be NFT.

jman91331

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 07:25:18 AM »
By the way now we are sure (after Snoops interview posted in other thread) that we won’t get Death Reo catalogue back on streaming platforms. It’s confirmed to be NFT.
From what it looks like, all streaming services expect tidal as they are all still on there. Also, I'm hearing Snoop snatched them off streaming platforms because he's working on a Death Row app to exclusively stream from. If true, smart shit. Cut the oppressor out of the profits just like Ye is doing with the stem player.