Author Topic: Rising to Fame with Eminem, The Fall Out, and More - Jeff Bass Interview  (Read 798 times)

Jay_J

PART 1

PART 2

The following users thanked this post: tempo2, mtbsm

mtbsm

Damn great interview. Wheels really did fall of for em on Encore. The fall off between Eminem show and half that album was shocking. Wasted some primo Dre beats and seems like Dre didn’t have any interest in quality control as far as em’s choruses and song structure, a strength of Bass.

tempo2

really good interview, bass brothers probably haven't got near enough credit for their work as the years have rolled by. Sounds like eminem was in a really really bad place during that encore period, made me want to go back through his back catalogue and listen to it through different ears. I wonder how they fell out so quickly and how they were unable to reconcile.

mtbsm

really good interview, bass brothers probably haven't got near enough credit for their work as the years have rolled by. Sounds like eminem was in a really really bad place during that encore period, made me want to go back through his back catalogue and listen to it through different ears. I wonder how they fell out so quickly and how they were unable to reconcile.

im guessing it was related to both of them battling addiction. you gotta cut off enablers if you're serious about cleaning up, and for years they both enabled each other maybe?

tempo2

yeah that's what I kind of took from his answer as well, always a shame when such a thing like that happens as I definitely think creatively when they both worked together that was peak Eminem. But of course life and thus music is about chapters. I listened to slim shady LP in the gym tonight and man that album was pure artistry. the production from the bass brothers is top notch as well having paid closer attention to it.

The following users thanked this post: mtbsm

Dee Tha AK

Infinite, Slim Shady & Marshall Mather's LP (Pt.1).

Thats it.

Jay_J

just right after this interview i realised that eminem really never thanked to Bass Brothers in any winning award. what a shame while they were doing almost everything.

Jay_J

Infinite, Slim Shady & Marshall Mather's LP (Pt.1).

Thats it.

what da hell are you talking about? They did whole "The Eminem Show" together. Dre just gave 3 fillers to that album. Also D12's Devil's Night entirely produced by Jeff Bass and Eminem.

Jay_J

Damn great interview. Wheels really did fall of for em on Encore. The fall off between Eminem show and half that album was shocking. Wasted some primo Dre beats and seems like Dre didn’t have any interest in quality control as far as em’s choruses and song structure, a strength of Bass.

First two albums, Dre was responsible for making hit records that will be promoted strongfuly. The rest entirely produced by Jeff Bass. My Name is or The Real Slim Shady won music awards but if you became an Eminem fan it was because you have listened to songs like Rock Bottom, Just The Two Of Us, Marshall Mathers, Kim, Criminal. Third album finally is heavily produced by Jeff Bass, even all the hit records (without me, cleaning out my closet, superman, sing for the moment, white america), dre just gave 3 fillers and they never became one of "Greatest Songs Of Eminem". (i like those 3 songs by the way). Before The Eminem show they also did D12's debut album Devils Night, again entirely produced by Jeff Bass and Eminem except of 4 Dre productions. Great album, no doubt. Finally they did their Magnum Opus "LOSE YOURSELF" for 8 mile movie.

Reasons why Encore failed;

1- Encore was the first album that Jeff Bass wasn't involved.

2- Eminem was battling with drug addiction.

3- Dre was working on detox and gave some of his cast off beats to Eminem, also fucked up on executive producing the project.

4- Two great songs (We as americans and Love you more) were leaked and Eminem had to replace them with new songs hastily. Those songs were "Rain man" and "Big Winnie".  :(

After Encore's fail as i know they started to work together again, and in this period they did songs like:

"gatman and robin" (50 cent)
"drama setter" (tony yayo)
"trapped" (proof)
"lord have mercy" (lil scrappy)
"peep show" (50 cent)
"touch down" (ti)
"lose my mind" (young buck)
"lac motion" (cashiss)
"crazy" (trick trick)

last song they did together was "Beautiful" which ended up as one of his greatest songs with a music video on Relapse.

How i wish they can work together again. Now he replaced Luis Resto with Jeff Bass and it works very well for him lately, their chemistry is awesome but, it took time you know.

However Em is still working a lot and very succesful, i never heard Jeff Bass doing smth lately. Last thing i know he worked with "Jem" and produced 4 songs for her which i am a fan of. You can listen to one of it below.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

hitsaw

Where the songs Bully, monkey see monkey do and can I bitch also Encore leaks?
I remember being major disappointed when I bought that cd.

Okka

what da hell are you talking about? They did whole "The Eminem Show" together. Dre just gave 3 fillers to that album. Also D12's Devil's Night entirely produced by Jeff Bass and Eminem.

Dre had the best beats on there. Also you're forgetting about Kon Artis.

Jay_J

Dre had the best beats on there. Also you're forgetting about Kon Artis.

i don't forget bro, llet me correct, i should say entirely instead 4 dr. dre beats....the rest was produced by jeff bass and eminem (denaun also co produced 3 of em).

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

Reasons why Encore failed;

1- Encore was the first album that Jeff Bass wasn't involved.

2- Eminem was battling with drug addiction.

3- Dre was working on detox and gave some of his cast off beats to Eminem, also fucked up on executive producing the project.

4- Two great songs (We as americans and Love you more) were leaked and Eminem had to replace them with new songs hastily. Those songs were "Rain man" and "Big Winnie".  :(

After Encore's fail as i know they started to work together again, and in this period they did songs like:

"gatman and robin" (50 cent)
"drama setter" (tony yayo)
"trapped" (proof)
"lord have mercy" (lil scrappy)
"peep show" (50 cent)
"touch down" (ti)
"lose my mind" (young buck)
"lac motion" (cashiss)
"crazy" (trick trick)

However Em is still working a lot and very succesful, i never heard Jeff Bass doing smth lately. Last thing i know he worked with "Jem" and produced 4 songs for her which i am a fan of. You can listen to one of it below.

Good find Jay... she sounds like Dido, back when Dido and Em were in their video together.

"We As Americuns" was a fucking great song and I'm still mad that joint got leaked and wasn't on the regular album when it came out. 

I'm really not familiar with those songs you listed above that Bass did for artists like Yayo and Banks.  i will have to check them out.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Could of been a great interview if the fuccing guy interviewing could shut up.  That always bothers me about interview in the social media era you have a lot of amateurs who don't know how to shut up during interviews when the artist starts to get going on something really interested that I've been wanting to hear about.

That part about what Jeff calls "clap" with classical music was something very interesting and something I noticed in their sound together but didn't know the Science behind it, but the interview just interrupted him and changed the subject but I think he could of gone even more into that.  But I was a huge fan of that signature sound, didn't know it had a name "clap".

There were a lot of other moments when Jeff was really going into the development of their sound and style that really took me back to 1999 because I remember all of it in great detail--and the fuccing interviewer would always want to throw in his two cents.  Almost made me turn off the interview.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Yeah man.. that's pretty crazy that Jeff was so intricate in the formation of his sound in his prime and then his first disappointment was Encore and Jeff wasn't on that album.  That says a lot and proves Jeff deserves a lot of credit.

Jeff mentioned there were moments in Encore he thought were brilliant and that if he had been working with Em he would of brought out more of that.  A better interviewer wouldn't have cut him off there and would of maybe asked for those specific moments and what he could have done more.  I loved hearing Jeff's impressions of the failed Encore album.  Very insightful and with the interviewer would have shut the fucc up.

There were other contributing factors.  You could even say the second D-12 album was the first time Em showed signs of falling off.  You could say that it was Proof dying, was the reason Em wasn't the same on Encore.

...not sure I really bought the "drug use" argument.  I mean, that stuff does start to wear on a person with age (see Kurupt) but Em was always doing drugs I mean how can you say it was okay in his prime and then suddenly not okay??

I blame it on age, and mostly on the fact that when 8 Mile project dropped Em had achieved all that anyone could ever achieve in the music industry without being murdered like Pac--there was nothing more for him to do.  There was nowhere for him to go but down.