Author Topic: Rising to Fame with Eminem, The Fall Out, and More - Jeff Bass Interview  (Read 799 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Dre had the best beats on there. Also you're forgetting about Kon Artis.

Yeah sure, Dre is Dre and Kon Artis was really putting in great work in those years.  But it's clear that it was Jeff Bass that really carried the bulk of Eminem's work.  Dre is good at coming in and providing those bangers or polishing off, mixing, sequencing.  But you need a guy like Jeff who is a true musician with no ego, who can be in there day in and day out filling in all the blanks.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Jay_J

another banger from jeff bass (i'm sure its an eminem or d12 leftover beat)

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Okka

another banger from jeff bass (i'm sure its an eminem or d12 leftover beat)

Dope.

tempo2

Generally dre's work with Eminem centred around the commercial singles and wasn't really the nuts and bolts of Eminem as an artist per se, particular in the earlier part of his career. This was an obvious way for Eminem to gauge a wider audience initially with the dre tag to gain that initial momentum. The artistic songs were generally the work he did with bass brothers. Of course they were exceptions i.e. guilty conscience which were artistic in how they were conceptualised. 

Obviously the entirety of relapse was pretty much dre but i wouldn't say that's the work Eminem would be remembered for.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 10:26:11 AM by tempo2 »

Jay_J

Generally dre's work with Eminem centred around the commercial singles and wasn't really the nuts and bolts of Eminem as an artist per se, particular in the earlier part of his career. This was an obvious way for Eminem to gauge a wider audience initially with the dre tag to gain that initial momentum. The artistic songs were generally the work he did with bass brothers. Of course they were exceptions i.e. guilty conscience which were artistic in how they were conceptualised. 

Obviously the entirety of relapse was pretty much dre but i wouldn't say that's the work Eminem would be remembered for.

very nice review bro'..

as you said dre's main role was to produce catchy "pop" hits you can play on the radio. but songs that eminem feels more comfortable and goes personal always produced by jeff bass. with dre eminem gained fans from every type of people, even your parents or your dumb ass friends who has no idea about hiphop... but with jeff bass, we had chance to know who eminem really is and became a real fan of his music.

the best song on relapse was beautiful :) and it was produced by jeff bass... only dre track on the album that will be remembered i think is "deja vu"... i like the album actually but it's really outdated. also it's not eminem's type of music. i love the beat of "bagpipes from bagdad", its a monster really but eminem even couldnt know how to go for that type of beat and wasted it with maria carey issue. dre and eminem always had an average musical chemistry. thats why relapse was going to fail without a doubt.

today eminem has good chemistry with luis resto. lately eminem takes beats from different new generation hiphop producers and co-produce them with luis and "eminemize" them :) according to kamikaze and mtbmb, we can say it really works... he doesn't need dre at all, neither paak nor kendrick.

that's a big fail for dre today...

The following users thanked this post: tempo2

Okka

as you said dre's main role was to produce catchy "pop" hits you can play on the radio.

Only "pop" hit Dre had on Em's first two albums is "The Real Slim Shady".

:snoop:

tempo2

"my name is" was also a pop single from his first two albums and both of them songs were the "biggest" records from said albums.

tempo2

As his career went on the work between them both involved songs outside of popular culture. I just wish they did more songs like role model from the first album, just stripped down production with Eminem just being an MC. The production on relapse was massively wasted in my opinion, but I think this was just dre giving Eminem a consistent environment to work in whilst going through his troubles at that particular time.

Jay_J

Only "pop" hit Dre had on Em's first two albums is "The Real Slim Shady".

:snoop:

my name is, role model, just lose it... all were pop-radio friendly tracks.

Okka

my name is, role model, just lose it... all were pop-radio friendly tracks.

"Role Model" is definitely not a pop song. "My Name Is" doesn't sound like a pop song neither, but that's what it became though. How old are you?

Jay_J

"Role Model" is definitely not a pop song. "My Name Is" doesn't sound like a pop song neither, but that's what it became though. How old are you?

what i mean with "pop" is popular culture... you might know that there is no genre called "pop music"... today's pop music is trap for example.

i don't understand what this has got to do with my age by the way? i didn't get it.

Okka

what i mean with "pop" is popular culture... you might know that there is no genre called "pop music"... today's pop music is trap for example.

i don't understand what this has got to do with my age by the way? i didn't get it.

I'm wondering if you witnessed Eminem putting out that song.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

Although much of the music that appears on record charts is seen as pop music, the genre is distinguished from chart music. Identifying factors usually include repeated choruses and hooks, short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), and rhythms or tempos that can be easily danced to. Much pop music also borrows elements from other styles such as rock, urban, dance, Latin, and country.

When I think of pop music it's something similar to rock music.

Sccit

my name is sounds like a pop song to me… just lose it as well

role model wasnt tho

Jay_J

I'm wondering if you witnessed Eminem putting out that song.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_music

Although much of the music that appears on record charts is seen as pop music, the genre is distinguished from chart music. Identifying factors usually include repeated choruses and hooks, short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure), and rhythms or tempos that can be easily danced to. Much pop music also borrows elements from other styles such as rock, urban, dance, Latin, and country.

When I think of pop music it's something similar to rock music.

dude, pop music is popular music. it is what it is... today trap and melodic rap is pop. it was rock before for example. anyway what i'm trying to say is clear actually, dre's role was producing radio friendly songs which will mean something to "every type of listeners" which will be a part of popular culture. jeff bass and eminem were doing their own/independent music, which i can even call indie rap, which forms the common taste of eminem's music. it has the same similarity with johnny j and pac...

tempo2

Eminem had already "made" slim shady lp before dre came along this album was finished. Dre came along and produced three songs with the intention of giving him the crossover/mass appeal, artistically that album was made by bass brothers