Author Topic: Kam- Made in America 1995  (Read 404 times)

teecee

Kam- Made in America 1995
« on: April 30, 2022, 06:09:29 PM »
I heard most of the west coast shit that came out in the 90s in real time, but this album is one I slept on (except In traffic and Keep the Peace cuz they had videos)…I JUST listened to the entire album and I’m floored…classic west past
Production by some heavy hitters like Battlecat, Warren G, Ea-Ski and CMT, Chris the Glove and Quik, and Kam is great throughout the entire album. 

I could mention some highlights, but the album is full of great songs and deserves to be played front to back.
Anyone feeling this album?

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Okka

Re: Kam- Made in America 1995
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 08:23:42 PM »
It's a classic. Kam's best album for sure. It actually had an anniversary not too long ago. Did y'all know Quik was originally on "That's My Nigga"?

The following users thanked this post: Marco

dnjp4life

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 03:48:42 AM »
This is a brilliant album, was only listening to it last week.  It's very listenable from beginning to end and has tons of replay value, helped by the west-coast greats on the production and Kam's performance on the mic. 

Like you say, you can't go wrong when you have Warren G, DJ Quik, EA-Ski, Big Hutch, Battlecat and others giving you beats for your project in 1995.  I think Warren G's production on Keep Tha Peace might be my favourite beat by him.  Trust Nobody is such a classic beat from Battlecat too.

This is one of those not-so-popular g-funk albums that isn't lauded as one of the classics, but that everyone should hear.  It's cool also hearing Solo on the last track almost 20 years before he was chosen to voice Franklin on GTA V.

Kam's been in the studio with Battlecat recently, hopefully we get to hear some of what they're doing.

killagee

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 05:55:48 AM »
one of the best westcoast albums

The following users thanked this post: Okka

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 04:39:16 PM »
classic off top

Duck Duck Doggy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Lay back and twist one
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 10:22:21 AM »
Kama best album. Was Bumpin this heavy back in high school

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 07:18:08 PM »
I've posted my thoughts about this album before, so I'd just be repeating myself, but the short version is that my problem with this album is its awful track sequencing.  It's begins with a somewhat slow, thoughtful track in "Trust Nobody" when it should have begun with Pull Ya Hoe Card, then That's My Nigga, and THEN maybe Trust Nobody.  Beginning an album with an introspective track is just weird to me.

Then you have the cognitive dissonance of back to back tracks "Who Ridin" and "Keep Tha Peace."  Which is it, Kam?  Those are contradictory messages in back to back songs.  Again, it's just weird to me.  At least space them out a bit.

When listening to the album the whole way through, it sounds like Kam had accumulated a bunch of good songs on their own, but didn't bother to tie them altogether into a cohesive whole.  This album REALLY needed some skits in between songs to act as glue.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

The following users thanked this post: Okka, dnjp4life

teecee

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 07:48:58 AM »
It's a classic. Kam's best album for sure. It actually had an anniversary not too long ago. Did y'all know Quik was originally on "That's My Nigga"?

Word?   The Quik verse ever leak?

teecee

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 07:50:16 AM »
This is a brilliant album, was only listening to it last week.  It's very listenable from beginning to end and has tons of replay value, helped by the west-coast greats on the production and Kam's performance on the mic. 

Like you say, you can't go wrong when you have Warren G, DJ Quik, EA-Ski, Big Hutch, Battlecat and others giving you beats for your project in 1995.  I think Warren G's production on Keep Tha Peace might be my favourite beat by him.  Trust Nobody is such a classic beat from Battlecat too.

This is one of those not-so-popular g-funk albums that isn't lauded as one of the classics, but that everyone should hear.  It's cool also hearing Solo on the last track almost 20 years before he was chosen to voice Franklin on GTA V.

Kam's been in the studio with Battlecat recently, hopefully we get to hear some of what they're doing.

Agreed…Keep tha Peace is too smooth, definitely a top 5 Warren production, and Trudt Nobody is Battlecat at his best.

teletomble

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »
Word?   The Quik verse ever leak?

teecee

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 08:43:06 PM »
Nice hearing Quik on this!  Thx for letting me know about this guys

dnjp4life

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 12:11:44 PM »
Notice that on this album Kam doubles down on his vocals on a lot of the tracks which gives his voice a more powerful, authoritative presence on the mic.

It’s something 2Pac did quite a lot on his music as well.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 11:08:17 PM »
Notice that on this album Kam doubles down on his vocals on a lot of the tracks which gives his voice a more powerful, authoritative presence on the mic.

It’s something 2Pac did quite a lot on his music as well.

the double .. an underutilized effect in hip-hop

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 12:47:26 PM »

This version is better than the retail version, so do you know why they changed it?
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.