Author Topic: What was the one song that made you a hip-hop head  (Read 453 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
What was the one song that made you a hip-hop head
« on: May 11, 2022, 08:34:59 AM »
For me it was "Dre Day" Dr. Dre feat. Snoop and Jewell

Jewell RIP passing away made me think to bring up this topic again. 

But THE song that got me into hip-hop was "Wit A Dre Day".  That was THE joint.  Everyone has that one song that was the AHA! moment when the lightbulb came on in their head.  Before that video came out I was just your regular fan who liked stuff like Young MC "Principals Office" or Naughty By Nature's big singles, stuff like LL Cool J "Mama Said Knock You Out", or "Rump Shaker".  That was what I knew of rap, but I wasn't a hip-hop head.  Even "G Thang" didn't make me into a hip-hop head.  It was a video that was on but I wasn't fully aware.

When I saw "Wit A Dre Day" come on when I was away from home for a week at MU Missouri Tigers basketball camp summer of 93' that was it for me.  We were all in the lobby in between our games.  It was great because you would get to play like 5 games a day when you were away at camp.  It was like the best time of my life being able to play in real, competitive games all day long and listen to people like Anthony Peeler tell you what it was like to play against Michael Jordan.

So that's my best memory for Jewell is that she was on the track that literally turned me into a hip-hop head.  When that video came on when I was away at camp in 93' the whole fuccin camp the catch phrase was "Bow Wow Wow Yippee Yo Yippee Yea" all the older dudes were rappin that back and forth to games.  I was hooked when that video dropped, and hip-hop has been not only my chosen music but a way of life for me ever since.  So props to Jewell for being on it and coming through and doing her thing on the outro that was like a coronation and celebration at the end--she helped make that joint big, and made me a hip-hop head for life.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:06:08 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

Re: What was the one song that made you a hip-hop head
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 09:45:27 AM »
Ice T o.g. original gangster
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 04:34:36 PM »
Makaveli-Me And My Girlfriend

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 07:46:01 PM »
wasnt just one song

combination of digital underground sex packets, eazy-e eazy duz it, and run-dmc raising hell

those 3 albums were the ones that stood out the most when i was first gettin into hip-hop as a young’n

Okka

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 04:40:18 AM »
For me it was "Wit a Dre Day" Dr. Dre feat. Snoop and Jewell

Jewell RIP passing away made me think to bring up this topic again. 

But THE song that got me into hip-hop was "Wit A Dre Day".  That was THE joint.  Everyone has that one song that was the AHA! moment when the lightbulb came on in their head.  Before that video came out I was just your regular fan who liked stuff like Young MC "Principals Office" or Naughty By Nature's big singles, stuff like LL Cool J "Mama Said Knock You Out", or "Rump Shaker".  That was what I knew of rap, but I wasn't a hip-hop head.  Even "G Thang" didn't make me into a hip-hop head.  It was a video that was on but I wasn't fully aware.

When I saw "Wit A Dre Day" come on when I was away from home for a week at MU Missouri Tigers basketball camp summer of 93' that was it for me.  We were all in the lobby in between our games.  It was great because you would get to play like 5 games a day when you were away at camp.  It was like the best time of my life being able to play in real, competitive games all day long and listen to people like Anthony Peeler tell you what it was like to play against Michael Jordan.

So that's my best memory for Jewell is that she was on the track that literally turned me into a hip-hop head.  When that video came on when I was away at camp in 93' the whole fuccin camp the catch phrase was "Bow Wow Wow Yippee Yo Yippee Yea" all the older dudes were rappin that back and forth to games.  I was hooked when that video dropped, and hip-hop has been not only my chosen music but a way of life for me ever since.  So props to Jewell for being on it and coming through and doing her thing on the outro that was like a coronation and celebration at the end--she helped make that joint big, and made me a hip-hop head for life.

The censored version of the song is just called "Dre Day". Looks kind of funny when you keep callin' it "Wit A Dre Day".

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 06:03:05 AM »
The censored version of the song is just called "Dre Day". Looks kind of funny when you keep callin' it "Wit A Dre Day".

lol was thinking the same

the song is called “fuck wit dre day”

“wit a dre day” sounds like somethin borat would say

HighEyeCue

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 07:02:57 AM »
It was spring 1993 when I heard "Nuthin But A G thang"...was riding the subway in NYC when someone with a boom box was blasting it...he might have had the whole Chronic album on cassette playing...but specifically I heard that track and I was hooked forever 8)

The following users thanked this post: Marco

Jay_J

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 12:05:40 PM »
not one song can make you a hip hop head... one song can only make you a hip hop fan... you need to study hiphop and cultures to be a hip hop head.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 02:15:14 PM »
not one song can make you a hip hop head... one song can only make you a hip hop fan... you need to study hiphop and cultures to be a hip hop head.

this is somewhat true...I believe his premise was what song got you into hip hop though

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2022, 12:15:39 AM »
It was spring 1993 when I heard "Nuthin But A G thang"...was riding the subway in NYC when someone with a boom box was blasting it...he might have had the whole Chronic album on cassette playing...but specifically I heard that track and I was hooked forever 8)

Do you remember what it was that got you hooked, like something the beat caught you different than other stuff you’d heard before—or a line in the song? 

As far as “Nuttin But a G Thang” I know that wasn’t really the one that grabbed me because the thing I remembered most about that video was them undoing the top of the girl playing sand volleyball.  Dre was a master at putting these little moments in his music video because they actually caught the attention of kids and casual fans.  It’s like I work in the Arab Gulf now and I was talking to a Serbian my same age who wasn’t a big hiphop head but remembered well when Eminem first blew up because he remembered the Bill Clinton blow job scene from “My Name Is” (at a time Clinton was actually bombing their country). 

So that’s why I can remember the exact moment I became a head because I was still watching “Nuttin But A G Thang” from the perspective of a casual fan but once Snoop enters on “Dre Day” with the bow wow wow — I changed lenses and got a new prescription.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2022, 12:20:00 AM »

Yeah well then at what point did it become something you considered to be worth studying? 

I mean I didn’t know shit when I first got into it, but I wanted to find more so I hit up the music store.  I didn’t even know I could get Dre on NWA records I went to the record store and bought unauthorized Concrete Roots album because I thought it was the only other album I could get of Dre on other than the Chronic. 

But still there’s got to be a moment that peeks your interests
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:26:19 AM by Infinite Trapped in 1996 »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 12:21:57 AM »
Makaveli-Me And My Girlfriend

That song really got to me to as next level.  I even went to my freshman theatre class and did a whole presentation on it cause it said we had to take a piece of art and present about it.  But to me that’s a song you kind of already have to be a head to get into—but it is definitely something next level and eye opening. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 12:23:02 AM »
wasnt just one song

combination of digital underground sex packets, eazy-e eazy duz it, and run-dmc raising hell

those 3 albums were the ones that stood out the most when i was first gettin into hip-hop as a young’n

I think for you I thought you told me some story like an Uncle Ronnie story like you had an older cousin that used to bump Eazy E around you when you were a kid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 12:24:05 AM »

Damn, u right

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 02:59:15 AM »
Do you remember what it was that got you hooked, like something the beat caught you different than other stuff you’d heard before—or a line in the song? 

As far as “Nuttin But a G Thang” I know that wasn’t really the one that grabbed me because the thing I remembered most about that video was them undoing the top of the girl playing sand volleyball.  Dre was a master at putting these little moments in his music video because they actually caught the attention of kids and casual fans.  It’s like I work in the Arab Gulf now and I was talking to a Serbian my same age who wasn’t a big hiphop head but remembered well when Eminem first blew up because he remembered the Bill Clinton blow job scene from “My Name Is” (at a time Clinton was actually bombing their country). 

So that’s why I can remember the exact moment I became a head because I was still watching “Nuttin But A G Thang” from the perspective of a casual fan but once Snoop enters on “Dre Day” with the bow wow wow — I changed lenses and got a new prescription.

it was the hook and the back and forth rapping between Dre and Snoop...their chemistry was undeniable

"Dre Day" was the icing on the cake for me, I copped "The Chronic" soon after and the rest is history