Author Topic: What was the one song that made you a hip-hop head  (Read 452 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: What was the one song that made you a hip-hop head
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 03:46:33 AM »
it was the hook and the back and forth rapping between Dre and Snoop...their chemistry was undeniable

"Dre Day" was the icing on the cake for me, I copped "The Chronic" soon after and the rest is history

I remembered the girl gettin sprayed with beer—but my ears weren’t quite seasoned enough just yet to catch the lyricism back and forth play between Dre and Snoop, I knew enough to know these guys were a big deal in the game but wasn’t exactly sure why without knowing the NWA back story and all that, my older brother’s friends used to say Dre was with Eazy E before but I didn’t get it—but “Bow Wow Wow Yippee Yo Yippee Yea”—my ears caught that and I figured it out.

Still thought Snoop and Dre were like a rap group and didn’t understand when “Let Me Ride” came out and Snoop had like one line “Rollin in my 6-4”  ;D

When I finally got the Chronic album (my first cd ever along with Doggystyle) from my brother that Christmas I listened to “Nigga Wit A Gun” and “Rat-tat-tat” and I was wondering why the cops hadn’t arrested Dre yet for murder but he explained to me “I sit back relax do a job and jet” so then I realized they had not caught up to him yet  ;D
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 07:14:30 AM »
I think for you I thought you told me some story like an Uncle Ronnie story like you had an older cousin that used to bump Eazy E around you when you were a kid

yea thats where the eazy-e came from

but my pops also used to have a cd folder wit all different types of music in it. i got the digital under underground and run-dmc from that folder

but you’re right, it’s my uncle who really got me into hip-hop. i remember he had a room full of west coast cds and a stereo system .. i used to love going there just to peep the latest cds he had.

Invincible

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 06:51:01 PM »
Gangstas Paradise for me. Loved it the moment I heard it. California Love was the next. But then I started listening to Eminem and thats what got me into it full time. Never really liked much music growing up as I didn't hear much hip hop on the radio here in the UK.

dnjp4life

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2022, 12:33:52 PM »
Changes by 2Pac used to be on the radio all the time when I was getting lifts around.  I'd never heard music with lyrics delivering such urgency, intensity and touching on important social issues like that before. I knew I had to listen to more of this rapper's music as soon as I could find it.

But I had been into 'urban' music for a while before.  When I was super young my folks got me a best of 1993 compilation on tape and I can particularly remember really liking 'Informer' by Snow and 'Boom Shake the Room' by Will Smith.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2022, 09:38:24 PM »
Changes by 2Pac used to be on the radio all the time when I was getting lifts around.  I'd never heard music with lyrics delivering such urgency, intensity and touching on important social issues like that before. I knew I had to listen to more of this rapper's music as soon as I could find it.

But I had been into 'urban' music for a while before.  When I was super young my folks got me a best of 1993 compilation on tape and I can particularly remember really liking 'Informer' by Snow and 'Boom Shake the Room' by Will Smith.

Yeah, I thought "Informer" was like the greatest song in history of rap when it was out.  And "Boom Shake the Room" was wack as hell but I was also a fan of that one. 

I still say "Informer" was a nice track though

Rubinho

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2022, 03:35:15 AM »
It was TQ - Westside for me. Still my favorite west coast anthem

BIGWORM

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2022, 12:10:20 PM »
"Force MD's meet the Fat Boys" by Force Md's...  I loved the way they flipped the Giligans Island beat.

astra4322

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 01:35:52 AM »
Dr.Dre - Let Me Ride  8)

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2022, 02:15:26 AM »
Me & My Girlfriend

hitsaw

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2022, 03:56:53 AM »
Cypress hill - insane in the brain

BIGWORM

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2022, 07:06:01 PM »
Yeah, I thought "Informer" was like the greatest song in history of rap when it was out.  And "Boom Shake the Room" was wack as hell but I was also a fan of that one. 

I still say "Informer" was a nice track though

Snows whole first album was fire even the pop influenced "lady with the red dress"...

"I lick your boom boom down" gets people confused but that means "he will kill/shoot an informer".... I laughed because I seen it in a commercial the other day and that was the part they used...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2022, 03:39:21 AM »
Snows whole first album was fire even the pop influenced "lady with the red dress"...

"I lick your boom boom down" gets people confused but that means "he will kill/shoot an informer".... I laughed because I seen it in a commercial the other day and that was the part they used...

Nice track I checked out that "Lady with the Red Dress" track.  It should have made radio, but this guy went down in history as one of the biggest one hit wonders of all time

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2022, 07:39:01 AM »
Nice track I checked out that "Lady with the Red Dress" track.  It should have made radio, but this guy went down in history as one of the biggest one hit wonders of all time

he was unable to enter the US after that album dropped due to his criminal record, so it hindered him greatly .. his sophomore album actually did well outside the states.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2022, 10:35:36 AM »

TRAX (SFV)

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2022, 12:56:35 PM »
I heard a rap song on pop radio in the mid 80s, either Run-DMC, Beastie Boys or Fat Boys, can't remember, and I was in love with the genre.  Started listening to KDAY every day.  At the top of my Christmas and birthday present lists were rap tapes haha.
YOU CAN PIMP ME BITCH....WHEN THEY MAKE DILDOS OUTTA DAYTON SPOKES!

The following users thanked this post: Okka