Author Topic: Suge Knight Didn't Really Want Dr. Dre To Leave Death Row, He Sided With 2pac  (Read 250 times)

abusive

No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

abusive

I'm sure Pac felt some type of way about Dre having production on Nas It Was Written which came out in July if '96. Along with Stretch who he would go on to say switched sides, The Trackmasters who produced the Tupac disses by LL I Shot Ya and the remix and Havoc of Mobb Deep.

Nas dissed Pac on The Message from that album. Pac responded on Against All Odds. Nas also used the beat Pac used for the All Eyes On Me title track for Street Dreams. Pac responded to the Nas song I Gave You Power with Me and My Girlfriend. Both songs use the concept of a gun.

Aftermath Records would go on to become Bad Boy East with artist such as Game being managed by Jimmy Henchman who not only orchestrated the first attempt on Tupac but was also an associate of Puffy. Game also ghostwrote for Bad Boy and modeled for Puffy's Sean John clothing line was managed by Henchman.  50 Cent who was under the aforementioned Trackmasters (who were under Puffy and Steve Stoute) who had toured with Nas at one point and had also been a ghostwriter for Bad Boy, Mary J. Blige who had a long standing relationship with Puffy went in to work with Dre. Steve Stoute was also and executive at Interscope at some point. He was with Nas when DR and Nas had the standoff in the park. Him and Jay Z are said be related ànd Nas and Puffy are said be be best friends. I'm sure there's more that can be added here... Like the E Money Bags connections to Nas/Stretch and Pac, Firm member Foxy Brown's relationship to Hatian Jack and Jay Z, or...

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Reggie is right Suge didn't want Dre to leave.  Suge was damn near stalking Dre in those days it was like Dre just like went into hiding and lawyers were dealing with the mess.  Suge was trying to get at Dre.  It's almost like trying to get out of a gang, you just don't come and go as you please was Suge's attitude. 

And furthermore, Suge wasn't stupid.  He knew Dre was the greatest producer ever just like Reggie was saying.  You can find really good accounts of all this when it went down in Dre's source cover in my sig and then Suge followed with his side of the story on the Source cover a couple months later.  I lost that issue during all my travels and really want to find a copy online for a decent price.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

abusive

Reggie is right Suge didn't want Dre to leave.  Suge was damn near stalking Dre in those days it was like Dre just like went into hiding and lawyers were dealing with the mess.  Suge was trying to get at Dre.  It's almost like trying to get out of a gang, you just don't come and go as you please was Suge's attitude. 

And furthermore, Suge wasn't stupid.  He knew Dre was the greatest producer ever just like Reggie was saying.  You can find really good accounts of all this when it went down in Dre's source cover in my sig and then Suge followed with his side of the story on the Source cover a couple months later.  I lost that issue during all my travels and really want to find a copy online for a decent price.
There is a discrepancy in the Dre at DR story. You had people like Pac saying he wasn't doing anything, Michele saying he would take a long time to do anything, then there are various accounts of producer's music being taken and credited to Dre and others as well as Dre having ghost producers. After a certain point in time was Dre even needed at DR? If Pac hadn't gotten kilt and Suge didn't go to prison things would have continued as usual without Dre. I don't see Dre being a key peice at DR after a certain point. I get it that he makes hits but so did several people at DR and DR could have any hit producer in the industry that they wanted.

h2k4

There is a discrepancy in the Dre at DR story. You had people like Pac saying he wasn't doing anything, Michele saying he would take a long time to do anything, then there are various accounts of producer's music being taken and credited to Dre and others as well as Dre having ghost producers. After a certain point in time was Dre even needed at DR? If Pac hadn't gotten kilt and Suge didn't go to prison things would have continued as usual without Dre. I don't see Dre being a key peice at DR after a certain point. I get it that he makes hits but so did several people at DR and DR could have any hit producer in the industry that they wanted.

The original Death Row, as we knew it, was not sustainable in the long run. You can't run a business off of fear and intimidation and still expect to grow artists in a hostile environment. If Suge evolved into a business man, then it would have been possible. That is what drove Dre away in the first place.

Pac was never going to be a longterm asset for Death Row. He wanted to leave and do his own thing but he also had a legal case that he still needed to deal with so even if he didn't die, he was still going to go back to prison.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

That’s the problem.. Hubris sets in and Pac and Suge start to think they are larger than life and can take on the world and don’t need Dre.  Well… for the summer of 96’ pac really was larger than life and Suge felt that way too. But Dre has some great quotes in the Source when he left.  Like he said, “how you gonna say Dre jump ship, nigga, Dre built the ship you on.”

And Dre also said “I got a studio at home but some niggaz you don’t want at your house” and now Reggie saying Dre may not have wanted Pac in his house.

Still regardless it didn’t matter if Dre was recluse and didn’t come round much cause like Reggie said he was still handling shit.  Like one “California Love” record was worth more than Snoops entire Doggfather album.  So how can you say Dre wasn’t needed at Death Row.  “Keep The Heads Ringing” is better than any track on Doggfather.

So yeah… it just a case of two things being true at the same time.  Yeah pac didn’t need Dre be made 7 Day Theory classic without Dre but at the same time Suge didn’t want Dre to leave.  It’s a case of two things being true at the same time and just depends on context.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Dee Tha AK

Dee Tha AK

Dre didn't do much on DRR anyway, so why was it such a big deal?

abusive

That’s the problem.. Hubris sets in and Pac and Suge start to think they are larger than life and can take on the world and don’t need Dre.  Well… for the summer of 96’ pac really was larger than life and Suge felt that way too. But Dre has some great quotes in the Source when he left.  Like he said, “how you gonna say Dre jump ship, nigga, Dre built the ship you on.”

And Dre also said “I got a studio at home but some niggaz you don’t want at your house” and now Reggie saying Dre may not have wanted Pac in his house.

Still regardless it didn’t matter if Dre was recluse and didn’t come round much cause like Reggie said he was still handling shit.  Like one “California Love” record was worth more than Snoops entire Doggfather album.  So how can you say Dre wasn’t needed at Death Row.  “Keep The Heads Ringing” is better than any track on Doggfather.

So yeah… it just a case of two things being true at the same time.  Yeah pac didn’t need Dre be made 7 Day Theory classic without Dre but at the same time Suge didn’t want Dre to leave.  It’s a case of two things being true at the same time and just depends on context.
They didn't need Dre. I don't know how else to word it. Listen to the music on the Outlawz album. That's a gem. Cali love is great. But so are several songs on that album. The Gang Related soundtrack has some great songs too.

Dre clearly jumped ship. Even if you look at the Firm connections and look at Aftermath after Pac died, you can clearly see it. It started back then though. Y'all love talking about Dre built DR, which is true, but y'all don't keep that same energy when it comes to the problems at DR. If he was co-owner then he should get the co-blame. In that str8 movie they showed Suge and his guys with pit bulls in the studio but Darryl Harper said that Snoop used to Dig fillllght in the studio too. Of course Dre didn't want to go to the studio where dogs would be fighting and left bloody. But that sort of thing is never mentioned. It's always Suge's bloods but never Snoop's crips. Just tell the whole story. DR would have been fine without Dre. Just like Ruthless was.