Author Topic: What are some of the best mixed and mastered songs of all time?  (Read 348 times)

abusive

Straight forward question. I'm thinking about hiring someone over at soundbetter.com to mix/master and I know they are going to want a reference track to work with. I want to see what you consider a good mix + master.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

b.laden

Re: What are some of the best mixed and mastered songs of all time?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »
its hard to differentiate the mixing from the song. how ?  if the song is good,the mixing is good.
i was thinking at Dogg Food and ATL Forever rich thugs because these 2 albums have a very original sound

The following users thanked this post: abusive

Zeccy

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 05:34:12 PM »
Dre said his best mixed record is In Da Club. He took it as well as a reference track when developing the first beats headphones

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 08:20:20 PM »
How would you know what the best mixed tracks are?  Wouldn't you have to hear the before and after?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: Okka, abusive

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 12:29:49 AM »
As a starter probably many tracks on All Eyes on Me, considering the talents (Dj Quik, Dre etc..) and equipment at Can Am studios
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !

abusive

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 05:21:01 AM »
How would you know what the best mixed tracks are?  Wouldn't you have to hear the before and after?
Good point. I'm going to light some incense and sip some tea as I ponder your question.

Dre said his best mixed record is In Da Club. He took it as well as a reference track when developing the first beats headphones
It's crazy because I was specifically thinking about that track because the track I have is a club record.

its hard to differentiate the mixing from the song. how ?  if the song is good,the mixing is good.
i was thinking at Dogg Food and ATL Forever rich thugs because these 2 albums have a very original sound
I'm confused by your question.

Mr. Sunshine

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 09:31:18 AM »
Bullshit questin 85-90 ist the mix the rest is mastering, if you have a good mix.....
just a pointless question
but its Abusive you need some help for your production, but if you hear a good mix, that doesn't mean you'll get it right

Mr. Sunshine

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 09:33:16 AM »
Straight forward question. I'm thinking about hiring someone over at soundbetter.com to mix/master and I know they are going to want a reference track to work with. I want to see what you consider a good mix + master.

and by the way this is not a Snoop Dogg Death Row beat ;D :D

Mr. Sunshine

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
Evidence – Cats & Dogs
Mastered By – Ricardo Gutierrez
Mixed By – Eddie Sancho

dnjp4life

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 01:31:49 PM »
I mean, there's a lot to choose from, we're mostly talking tracks and albums that Dr. Dre and DJ Quik have been involved in within the last 25 years or so.  I suppose you could say that mixing and mastering have gotten better at the same time that production has advanced, they go hand-in-hand.

I always think that albums like Chronic 2001, Rhythm-al-ism and Street Gospel have great mixing/mastering because they sound so clean and bass-heavy when played at a decent volume level on a good sound system, and you can really hear and appreciate different layers of the beat.  But that could be over-simplifying things and I'm sure a studio engineer could explain it better than me.

Consider Snoop Dogg's 'Blue Carpet Treatment' album - the three tracks that Dr. Dre produced and mixed are head and shoulders above the rest of the tracks on that album, and that Snoop album is full of great tracks from a host of top-notch producers.

abusive

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 05:30:40 AM »
Bullshit questin 85-90 ist the mix the rest is mastering, if you have a good mix.....
just a pointless question
but its Abusive you need some help for your production, but if you hear a good mix, that doesn't mean you'll get it right
I'm confused by this as well. Are you saying to get it mixed and not mastered?

abusive

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 07:09:23 AM »
@MrSunshine I'm not interested in doing a back and forth with you. If you feel this thread is useless then don't respond. No one asked your opinion about any beats either. This isn't Tha Studio section.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:41:50 AM by abusive »

abusive

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 07:10:25 AM »
I mean, there's a lot to choose from, we're mostly talking tracks and albums that Dr. Dre and DJ Quik have been involved in within the last 25 years or so.  I suppose you could say that mixing and mastering have gotten better at the same time that production has advanced, they go hand-in-hand.

I always think that albums like Chronic 2001, Rhythm-al-ism and Street Gospel have great mixing/mastering because they sound so clean and bass-heavy when played at a decent volume level on a good sound system, and you can really hear and appreciate different layers of the beat.  But that could be over-simplifying things and I'm sure a studio engineer could explain it better than me.

Consider Snoop Dogg's 'Blue Carpet Treatment' album - the three tracks that Dr. Dre produced and mixed are head and shoulders above the rest of the tracks on that album, and that Snoop album is full of great tracks from a host of top-notch producers.
I'm going to listen to them.

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 08:58:09 AM »
it might be dogg food

because the mixing turned into ghost producing

and no, you don’t need to hear a track before it was mixed to know it was mixed exceptionally well

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 09:20:07 AM »
it might be dogg food

because the mixing turned into ghost producing

and no, you don’t need to hear a track before it was mixed to know it was mixed exceptionally well
i can agree with that or Chronic 2000
The West is Back