Author Topic: DJ QUIK: ‘I DESERVE TO BE WHERE [DR.] DRE IS’  (Read 1194 times)

mtbsm

Re: DJ QUIK: ‘I DESERVE TO BE WHERE [DR.] DRE IS’
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2022, 04:51:54 AM »
Quik's a legend but sorry it comes down to hits. Not saying hits make an artist, but when you crossover and everyone thinks your song is a hit (all ages, demographics) you reach a different level of commercial success. You do that over and over and over and over for decades you are Dr. Dre. Personal talent it's close right? But Dre's sonics have no equal. Quik will tell you that, will he not?

-Davizz-

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2022, 10:52:22 AM »
Quik's my favorite artist but he's been crying since the 90s about his role in the industry.
He used to do the best West Coast beats, but Dr. Dre's legacy is totally different.. he's a real 360° producer, not in terms of beat making but in terms of producing albums, artists, being a business guru, etc.
Dre is a legend, Quik is a great artist but you really gotta be a West Coast Rap head.

Jay_J

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2022, 11:27:50 AM »
Oh boy. I remember him crying last time like "i gave drum kit samples to Dre to produce in da club and if i can't so i want my money". This is where quik put himself on his own with his own attitude.

Quik is a motherfucking West Coast Legend. He is one of the architects of West Coast Hi Hop. NO DOUBT!!! But let's see the fact that he is a local artist. Yeah he did "Addictive". He worked with Mariah Carey, Raphael Saadiq, Jay-Z and mmmm Talib Kweli. That's all. he never became popular as an international mainstream artist. How the fuck he can say he deserve to be where Dre is. He is humiliating his lecagy with saying that and disrespecting Dre. He also means that some kind of machine pushed Dre to be what he is now and he claim he didnt have that kind of machin support. MY ASS!!! who buys that really?

I always believe Quik is overlooked both as a producer and rapper. He should cry about only he is overlooked and he deserve to be where Dj Quik should be today but not. I'd agree on that. But Dre??? DRE???? Really??? Oh boy.

The following users thanked this post: Okka

astra4322

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2022, 11:33:08 AM »
Well said.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2022, 07:42:27 PM »
Oh boy. I remember him crying last time like "i gave drum kit samples to Dre to produce in da club and if i can't so i want my money". This is where quik put himself on his own with his own attitude.

Quik is a motherfucking West Coast Legend. He is one of the architects of West Coast Hi Hop. NO DOUBT!!! But let's see the fact that he is a local artist. Yeah he did "Addictive". He worked with Mariah Carey, Raphael Saadiq, Jay-Z and mmmm Talib Kweli. That's all. he never became popular as an international mainstream artist. How the fuck he can say he deserve to be where Dre is. He is humiliating his lecagy with saying that and disrespecting Dre. He also means that some kind of machine pushed Dre to be what he is now and he claim he didnt have that kind of machin support. MY ASS!!! who buys that really?

I always believe Quik is overlooked both as a producer and rapper. He should cry about only he is overlooked and he deserve to be where Dj Quik should be today but not. I'd agree on that. But Dre??? DRE???? Really??? Oh boy.

Yeah..the only way I can see Quik's claim being valid is if he didn't have access to the same resources Dre did.  Because it is possible that if you put Quik behind the boards and you put Dre behind the boards and you give both of them a few hours to come up with a song—that Quik's song could be equal to Dr. Dre's.

But it is hard to say that at some point Quik didn't have access to the same resources as Dre.  Because as far back as NWA -- Dr. Dre was always making records that were bigger than DJ Quik.

Another point—You mentioned Dre being a businessman—Dre is a shitty business man.  Anybody who owns 50% of a company and leaves with nothing is a shitty businessman.  Now; I know that Suge strongarmed Dre but at some point either coming in or leaving Dre fucced up.  There's no way you can own 50% of the greatest label in history and leave with nothing and call yourself a great businessman.

Dre just has Jimmy and Jimmy has always handled Dre's business and gotten Dre out of a lot of trouble and probably a lot of bad deals throughout his career. 

So Quik has a bit of a point that Dre always had Jimmy and Quik never had support like that on that end.

Now... if by being a good businessman you mean eye for talent—of course.  Dre has the best ear in the industry.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2022, 08:32:07 PM »
Dre = Mainstream

Quick = Underground

Get It?Got It?Good.

The following users thanked this post: Okka, mtbsm

Jay_J

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2022, 11:16:32 PM »
Dre = Mainstream

Quick = Underground

Get It?Got It?Good.

Hell yeah but we shouldnt forget dre came from underground too, Quik couldnt get himself out of it.

The following users thanked this post: Okka

abusive

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2022, 05:58:08 PM »
Production wise. Yes absolutely

^dis. I just feel like if you put the two in a room with their own tools by their selves, Quik would come out on top.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2022, 08:55:25 PM »
Hell yeah but we shouldnt forget dre came from underground too, Quik couldnt get himself out of it.

Quik has been there since whatnot but NWA was bigger, then Chronic & Quik wasn't even signed to DRR to my knowledge..lack off promotion, uncredited work,etc.

Sccit

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2022, 09:04:04 PM »
^dis. I just feel like if you put the two in a room with their own tools by their selves, Quik would come out on top.

quik gets accused of the same stuff as dre with robert bacon and g-one

don’t believe the hype

The following users thanked this post: abusive

thegooddoc

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2022, 09:10:38 PM »

don’t believe the hype

Damn, can't believe you beat me to it.  But don't forget his first album with Stan "the guitar man" Jones.  Quik relies heavily on musicians. That is why his production sounds so good.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit, abusive

Sccit

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2022, 09:39:33 PM »
Damn, can't believe you beat me to it.  But don't forget his first album with Stan "the guitar man" Jones.  Quik relies heavily on musicians. That is why his production sounds so good.

feezlacts

abusive

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2022, 09:05:25 AM »

don’t believe the hype
Didn't know that.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

abusive

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2022, 09:42:03 PM »
@Sccit Doesn't change my stance though.