Author Topic: How To Classify G-Funk Era From It's Birth To Today  (Read 894 times)

Jay_J

How To Classify G-Funk Era From It's Birth To Today
« on: January 06, 2023, 03:20:45 AM »
Let's classify different type of G-Funk eras according to different cirterions.

How should we do it? by some certain years? decades? artists? region?

For example bay area has definately a different type of g-funk era which evolved in itself by years.

Also there are different type of g-funk eras according to producers and artists; Dr. Dre, Daz, Above The Law had a different type of sense, Ant Banks, Sam Sneed, Bud'da, Glove had different type of sense, Warren-G, Johnny J, Dj Quik had different sense... i can count more.

Also each artists have different type of eras in different years.

What do you think?

if you want to classify different type of G-Funk eras how would u do it and how many types you could specify?

if i look at it from a wide pespective and focus on similarities rather than differences, so i can only do it by different years. i can count one for 90-94 which we witnessed the birth of g-funk with heavy synth basses, leads, percussions and mostly funk samples. i can count 2nd for 95-97 with live bass, more guitars and piano, less leads, more pop/rnb oriented samples. i can count 3rd for 98-2005 with more strings, piano and keyboards involved, leads, louder and simple drum patterns, less sample based. 4th... the 4th i can not count it by years but beatmakers like battlecat, meech wells, jelly roll and fredwreck brought another type of g-funk in same years of 98-2005 which i can tell basicly it has mostly made of a keyboard and a software without live instruments and without samples by only midi synths, drum kits, percussions and sometimes talk box. I think today there's a 5th which we can listen trough artists like Dom Kennedy, YG, etc... which has ruff muted synth basses, trap drum patterns combined with west coast oriented percussions and leads. But i'm totally not a fan of this type. not at all.

this is how i classify. what's yours?

Dee Tha AK

Re: How To Classify G-Funk Era From It's Birth To Today
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 04:19:31 AM »

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 04:41:08 AM »

Jay_J

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 08:38:21 AM »
you better write and explain your opinion with those tracks bro, what you did looks like you are randomly posting your favorite g funk songs.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 05:02:04 PM »
you better write and explain your opinion with those tracks bro, what you did looks like you are randomly posting your favorite g funk songs.

Jazzy Smooth Mellow Instrumental With Blunt Drum Loops, Slow Chill Melody With Funk & Whistles

abusive

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 06:59:02 AM »
To me it's all about that whistle synth. No whizistle, no g funk.  :camby:
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

The following users thanked this post: Dee Tha AK

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2023, 05:29:50 PM »

Riiiight

The following users thanked this post: abusive

Jay_J

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 03:22:23 AM »

Wrooooong :)

what will you say about warren-g's "i want it all" album then?

Jay_J

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 03:32:01 AM »
Jazzy Smooth Mellow Instrumental With Blunt Drum Loops, Slow Chill Melody With Funk & Whistles

so you mean there are 2 different type of g-funk era, am i right?

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 05:25:04 AM »
so you mean there are 2 different type of g-funk era, am i right?

I meant g-funk as well all know it, from 90z

abusive

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 06:28:02 AM »

I'm confused. Are you asking us our opinion on what g-funk is or are you telling us what g-funk is?
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 09:21:57 PM »

It wasn't G-Funk.

Even "The Chronic" had only couple G-Funk Songs.

Yes, The Chronic.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 10:44:53 PM »
G-Funk is west coast gangsta rap with funk elements … that extends far past whistle synths. simple science.

Jay_J

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 12:57:32 AM »
I'm confused. Are you asking us our opinion on what g-funk is or are you telling us what g-funk is?

you don't need to get offended. i appriciate you to contribute to the thread. yeah for sure i'm asking your opinion but like Dee Tha AK have right to agree with you i have right not to agree with you.

g-funk can not be limitted with one type of element like whistle lead. it is far beyond that to me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 01:09:19 AM by Jay_J »

Jay_J

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 01:07:24 AM »
It wasn't G-Funk.

Even "The Chronic" had only couple G-Funk Songs.

Yes, The Chronic.

i agree with the chronic, it has some g-funk songs and rest are belong to gangsta rap/golden age.

i believe albums like "i want it all" album, dj quik's "safe and sound", 2pac's "all eyes on me" which heavily exists live guitars, rhode/keyboard chord progressions with midtempo beats represent another sense of g-funk era for late 90's.

"regulate" song is another example of this era also which i believe you don't think it's g-funk. but its one of the famous g-funk songs ever in history.