Author Topic: How To Classify G-Funk Era From It's Birth To Today  (Read 895 times)

Jay_J

Re: How To Classify G-Funk Era From It's Birth To Today
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2023, 02:32:49 AM »
yes but they didnt even know it was g funk. it was just coincidence.

above the law is the first artist/band invented it and called it g-funk but as i said somehow death row's boss decided to delay release date. hmmm who was boss of death row those days? :)

i want to make this clear, i wrote it wrong. i was going to mention "Ruthless".

what is written on wikipedia about the album is "The album was recorded in 1991 into 1992 but was held back due to legal issues with Epic And Dr. Dre's Departure from Ruthless Records. It was released on February 2, 1993, via Ruthless Records"

abusive

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2023, 06:15:54 AM »
first of all hutch is the one who call it "g-funk" term.
Hutch or 2Pac?
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

The following users thanked this post: Jay_J

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 09:29:58 AM »
no dispute. watch g-funk documentary, they give hutch their flowers, i mean all g-funk architects agree on that.

first of all hutch is the one who call it "g-funk" term.

he gets his flowers for coining the term, but as far as the actual sound, he wasn’t creating it alone and dre unequivocally played a huge role

Jay_J

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2023, 10:13:16 AM »
Hutch or 2Pac?

In 1991 Pac comes to studio to record his verse for Black Mafia Life album but before he asks "Whats your style? I want to mention it in my verse" then Hutch answers "its g funk".

The following users thanked this post: abusive, Dee Tha AK

Jay_J

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 10:16:53 AM »

he gets his flowers for coining the term, but as far as the actual sound, he wasn’t creating it alone and dre unequivocally played a huge role

Yeah there are other artists who helped g-funk to be created and Dre took it to another level and his debut album chronic introduced g funk to the world. Hutch is the first one who did it consciously first and gave its name.

Sccit

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2023, 10:27:40 AM »
Yeah there are other artists who helped g-funk to be created and Dre took it to another level and his debut album chronic introduced g funk to the world. Hutch is the first one who did it consciously first and gave its name.

not sure about that because d.o.c album and more so efil4zaggin was already leaning towards g-funk

i think it was a group effort, as they were working together during that period

abusive

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 11:17:14 AM »

as far as i know, never has dre credited hutch for creating the sound

hutch is the only one i’ve heard makin noise bout it

I posted this when it dropped but cant find the thread. Go to the 5:10 mark.

Didn't Cold187um Hutch do something on wack azz "Compton" album?
Yes.

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 11:55:48 AM »
In 1991 Pac comes to studio to record his verse for Black Mafia Life album but before he asks "Whats your style? I want to mention it in my verse" then Hutch answers "its g funk".

Source? "they shouldn't try to stop the Mafia
2Pac'll pack a person, pump the trunk
I'm bumpin' G-Funk, but you can call it what you want"

Jay_J

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 12:44:39 PM »
Source? "they shouldn't try to stop the Mafia
2Pac'll pack a person, pump the trunk
I'm bumpin' G-Funk, but you can call it what you want"

https://www.complex.com/music/2017/07/the-inventor-of-g-funk-interviewv

Jay_J

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2023, 01:11:44 PM »

not sure about that because d.o.c album and more so efil4zaggin was already leaning towards g-funk

i think it was a group effort, as they were working together during that period

i don't think it was a group effort at first. using a funk sample for a hiphop record doesnt mean you are doing g-funk or using a moog type of lead on a drum loop doesnt mean it is g-funk. that's why we call it a sub-genre because there are some certain ways to do it. i can't call "always into something" as a g-funk record. i can't call "deep cover" as a g-funk record also. too short was using funk samples, dre was using some funk samples, above the law also, even ice-t... you need multi layered melodic sythsizers, highly pitched portamento lead, deep bass grooves and funk samples or tunes played live. Hutch was the first one who exactly shaped these structure and repetead the formula again and again and then he named it. that's when we had smth to call g-funk and other artist tryed to do similar sound of it and also some artists inflluenced by it and contributed to it and helped it to change and evolve. thats what i call group effort. dre just made it god damn perfect and shaped it in his own way. first g-funk era which belong to early 90s definately came to its perfect shape with Dr. Dre and it became popular and know with Dre's effort. Thats when team effort began and guys like Daz, Glove, Quik, Warren-G helped it to evolve. That's how i see the history of g-funk.

Sccit

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2023, 04:53:25 PM »
i don't think it was a group effort at first. using a funk sample for a hiphop record doesnt mean you are doing g-funk or using a moog type of lead on a drum loop doesnt mean it is g-funk. that's why we call it a sub-genre because there are some certain ways to do it. i can't call "always into something" as a g-funk record. i can't call "deep cover" as a g-funk record also. too short was using funk samples, dre was using some funk samples, above the law also, even ice-t... you need multi layered melodic sythsizers, highly pitched portamento lead, deep bass grooves and funk samples or tunes played live. Hutch was the first one who exactly shaped these structure and repetead the formula again and again and then he named it. that's when we had smth to call g-funk and other artist tryed to do similar sound of it and also some artists inflluenced by it and contributed to it and helped it to change and evolve. thats what i call group effort. dre just made it god damn perfect and shaped it in his own way. first g-funk era which belong to early 90s definately came to its perfect shape with Dr. Dre and it became popular and know with Dre's effort. Thats when team effort began and guys like Daz, Glove, Quik, Warren-G helped it to evolve. That's how i see the history of g-funk.

efil4zaggin was already using the sound that hutch ran with

to say 1 person started it is disingenuous

all you gota do is google “who started g-funk?” to see just how multi-layered it truly is

Sccit

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2023, 04:58:57 PM »

I posted this when it dropped but cant find the thread. Go to the 5:10 mark.
Yes.

yes i know hutch’s take .. i’ve worked with hutch on rbx upcoming album and my upcoming solo debut so i’m very familiar

i’m telling u that dre has a different take

even what hutch is saying in the clip is very telling if u pay close attention

abusive

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2023, 06:01:37 PM »

yes i know hutch’s take .. i’ve worked with hutch on rbx upcoming album and my upcoming solo debut so i’m very familiar

even what hutch is saying in the clip is very telling if u pay close attention
Where's your source about Dre? Everyone here is dropping links but you.

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2023, 06:36:39 PM »
Where's your source about Dre? Everyone here is dropping links but you.

you’re claiming dre said something

it’s on you to prove that, not me to prove that he didn’t

the only links being posted is hutch taking credit, which is something everyone already knew 

abusive

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2023, 06:52:39 PM »
Let me guess, you had a conversation while working on detox and he told you he created gfunk?