Author Topic: Question : is being a music producer these days worthwhile?  (Read 130 times)

topdogg188

Question : is being a music producer these days worthwhile?
« on: January 22, 2023, 12:54:42 PM »
Shower thoughts earlier today…
Back in the 00s I wanted to be a music producer. Bought the cheapest sample machine I could find - Boss SP505, made some beats but not very good so gave up and sold the equipment on eBay. Revisited it 20years later during lockdown. Bought a secondhand mpc mini 2 and used their free software. Still pretty rubbish but now lockdowns over everything’s back in the loft.

What got me thinking was back in  the day a producer seemed well paid and worthwhile but now I’m not so sure. Each album you’d pick up would have theproducers who were recognized and sought after. A Timbaland, neptunes, jazzy pha, Swiss beatz track was mandatory on major releases. A Dr Dre or Premier if they liked your stuff and you had a big enough budget. Soon after you’d get Lil Jon, Kanye, Just Blaze, Cool and Dre but after that era not that many producers come to mind as successful and when I check producers on albums these days no idea who any of these people are.
So there’s probably two reasons - 1 I just don’t listen to that much new music and 2-is making music a lot more easier than before and more accessible to choose than it used to be.

The next thing I was thinking is my favorite producers - are they well off? Now I love battlecats beats and soopafly, Quik, Fredwreck l, Jellyroll, but if you think about it these guys have only really worked and released successful known music through snoop and his records with eastsidaz, doggy’s angels bad azz and on largely on his latter material that was just about going platinum. So are they even still  eating off the tracks from Snoops dogghouse era? Fredwreck possibly had some Britney Spears stuff back in the day but the rest I don’t think I’ve seen outside the Westscoast really Sonia it  a matter of keep grinding and working for our fav westcoast producers.

Dee Tha AK

Re: Question : is being a music producer these days worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 06:53:03 PM »
Exactly who's really big as producer rn?idk

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 08:25:53 PM »
hit-boy
dj mustard
cardo
mekanix
mike will made it
west coast stone
boi-1da
sounwave

and so forth

all big name producers eatin post that era u talkin bout

and yes a lot of the producers you mentioned still eatin off publishing off their old music .. there’s a disparity between those names tho, someone like battlecat has A LOT more than just his dogghouse stuff

abusive

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 07:26:42 AM »
No. Do it for the love.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

The following users thanked this post: Dee Tha AK

topdogg188

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 07:35:27 AM »
I forgot Scott storch from the main producers earlier. I agree hitboy and sounwav and dj mustard the rest to me seem local hits to me ( I don’t listen to new music much so am probably wrong). Battlecat my fav and I rate higher than Dre. However what big hits has battlecat really had. He’s had a long career but G’d up seems to be the biggest and wasn’t a worldwide smash hit mainly national.
 Take jelly roll for example I don’t know any super smash hit he’s had. I love the production he does. But I only know of him through buying Snoop and xzibit  CDs s with the amount of guests snoop has on albums how much residual income could they get from the records at their peak?

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 07:49:54 AM »
I forgot Scott storch from the main producers earlier. I agree hitboy and sounwav and dj mustard the rest to me seem local hits to me ( I don’t listen to new music much so am probably wrong). Battlecat my fav and I rate higher than Dre. However what big hits has battlecat really had. He’s had a long career but G’d up seems to be the biggest and wasn’t a worldwide smash hit mainly national.
 Take jelly roll for example I don’t know any super smash hit he’s had. I love the production he does. But I only know of him through buying Snoop and xzibit  CDs s with the amount of guests snoop has on albums how much residual income could they get from the records at their peak?

jellyroll co-produced on fatlip’s new album

most this forum sadly overlooked it despite it being produced by myself & doggy

battlecats biggest hit is probably ghetto jam by domino

Dee Tha AK

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 09:26:07 PM »
Fatlip is overlooked & underrated

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 09:38:16 PM »
Fatlip is overlooked & underrated

did u cop torpor?

b.laden

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 09:55:10 PM »
my theory is the music disappears. songs with Only 3 or 4 notes , no chords no bass ,no guitar, a simple wack drum,  just a minimalist keyboard.  new music sucks but there are still good rappers

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 10:53:06 PM »
Ghost producing is the only time you earn real money. Publishing credits are a mess once you learn that major producers ghost produce for others and even the people under them. And then someone produces for the ghost producer. Its a mess. - David T. Guinn

Sccit

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2023, 08:18:57 AM »
Ghost producing is the only time you earn real money. Publishing credits are a mess once you learn that major producers ghost produce for others and even the people under them. And then someone produces for the ghost producer. Its a mess. - David T. Guinn

:dwill: