Author Topic: King Tee - Thy Kingdom Come (Re-Issue with bonus tracks)  (Read 1800 times)

Jay_J

Re: King Tee - Thy Kingdom Come (Re-Issue with bonus tracks)
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2023, 11:51:58 AM »
Exactly something went Terribly wrong at the last minute, one day the truth will come out. Maybe it had something to do with King-Tee's former label. Notice the name change from King-Tee to King-T as well.

Here in Toronto they promoted the fuck out of it 2 or 3 Vinyl singles, Cassette samplers and stickers all around the city. Got it locked was a terrible choice for a single. But IMO the album would have did well! We needed something west-coast at the time, it was getting stale.

I had the Vinly's and cassette sampler and was jonesing for it. Then a whole bunch of years later I saw an album with a pimped-out turkey on the cover at HMV. I picked it up to laugh at then I let out yeah motherfucker out load in the store. It was expensive as fuck because it had a "Australian Import" sticker on it. But worth evrery penny!

Nothing went wrong with King-T... it was just Eminem came to the table and dre wanted to roll all of his dices for Eminem.

Thy Kingdome Come is still a classic.

The following users thanked this post: Sccit

Sccit

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2023, 11:58:10 AM »
Exactly something went Terribly wrong at the last minute, one day the truth will come out. Maybe it had something to do with King-Tee's former label. Notice the name change from King-Tee to King-T as well.

Here in Toronto they promoted the fuck out of it 2 or 3 Vinyl singles, Cassette samplers and stickers all around the city. Got it locked was a terrible choice for a single. But IMO the album would have did well! We needed something west-coast at the time, it was getting stale.

I had the Vinly's and cassette sampler and was jonesing for it. Then a whole bunch of years later I saw an album with a pimped-out turkey on the cover at HMV. I picked it up to laugh at then I let out yeah motherfucker out load in the store. It was expensive as fuck because it had a "Australian Import" sticker on it. But worth evrery penny!

i have both the turkey cover and the plain cover re-issue which was retitled “the kingdom come”

Dwax-187

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2023, 01:19:18 PM »

not a mistake, it woulda taken away from the energy eminem was buildin at the time

dre made the right choice, and that’s why he had that great aftermath run

from a hip-hop standpoint it’s an absolute classic .. but beyond that, dre needed a groundbreaking album after the aftermath comp “flop”

Agreed, this is a west coast hip hop classic, but wouldn’t have crossed over commercially.  There is no Still Dre or Next Episode big hitters that would've made the cross over for gangster rap.  I wonder if this is the feel Dre got with Hitman and Bishop Lamont.  Bishop Lamont - Grow Up played in Cali but didnt move the needles overall.

Sccit

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2023, 01:20:09 PM »
Agreed, this is a west coast hip hop classic, but wouldn’t have crossed over commercially.  There is no Still Dre or Next Episode big hitters that would've made the cross over for gangster rap.  I wonder if this is the feel Dre got with Hitman and Bishop Lamont.  Bishop Lamont - Grow Up played in Cali but didnt move the needles overall.

yup

and wit bishop, even worse, because he leaked the music witout asking dre……

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2023, 02:01:29 PM »
I love this dres sound.

Word.. I loved that early Aftermath sound it’s sort of became an anomaly but I still listen to Aftermath Presents, Firm, Bullworth, Thy Kingdom Come >> more than I listen to SSLP, Dre2001 or MMLP.  It may just be because I played out those albums or maybe the early Aftermath shit was ahead of its time
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2023, 02:03:12 PM »
Does anyone habe original cover?

That Turkey cover damn near ruins the album

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2023, 02:11:22 PM »
Also The “Zoom” beat is on here. So it was for king t first?

He says” me and shady doing 80” y’all think he’s talking about Em?

Kinda weird he’s mentioned Em and Dre pretty much Replaced him with Em

That Zoom beat was used on so many snoop and Dre related cuts it was even on “Purple” for last meal advance….  And the o.g zoom of course had snoop on it.

But bottom line all this is just Dre’s style, at the end of the day he’s just trying to make banging tracks.  So he might do a joint like “Hey You” way back in 97’ he could’ve done that who knows, and he just keeps fucking wit the same joint changing out sounds and putting different rappers on it, tagging it for different projects, and then in the end it usually never comes out or it ends up as “X” to launch Xzibit Restless album.

So y’all wanna know what happened to King T that’s just Dre being Dre.  He was just making dope shit, changing this changing that… but the crazy thing about Thy Kingdom Come is how close it actually came to dropping.  I mean… it does seem like it was a full go and then last minute got stopped.

I don’t see how it would’ve affected Eminem at all.  That’s like saying the Firm album affected Eminem.  Nobody would’ve even known the difference.  They could have easily had King T drop summer of 98’ he would’ve gone 300,000 or gold to at least recoup on studio time, promo, or whatever they put into it and give the fans something to bump in 98’ other than Snoops Game trash album 💿. 

Then most record buyers would’ve forgot about Thy Kingdom Come by February when Slim Shady LP dropped.

I just don’t really see how they couldn’t of just released Kingdom Come and then started with the Em promo, artist development, and run up to SSLP

soopa-man

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2023, 10:56:53 PM »
I remember Julio g playing it and it plays with skits before track like Tha Chron had a skit before it, almost like ridin dirty, it plays out with a phone calls from prison.

He played two other songs as well, I had them on tape in Clean version obviously as it was on the radio.  I was super hyped for the album, I argued with Sam goody guys all summer I did buy Nate Doggs G-Funk Classics thanks to looking for this album.

I didn’t understand why I couldn’t find the album.  King T video played on BET and he was getting a strong push to radio and was in every magazine.

Weird he still hasn’t every really dropped a LP

When restless dropped X said he was doing another King T album and I was like fuck finally! But still nothing

The following users thanked this post: Okka, ETtheLost1

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2023, 01:01:04 AM »
That Zoom beat was used on so many snoop and Dre related cuts it was even on “Purple” for last meal advance….  And the o.g zoom of course had snoop on it.

But bottom line all this is just Dre’s style, at the end of the day he’s just trying to make banging tracks.  So he might do a joint like “Hey You” way back in 97’ he could’ve done that who knows, and he just keeps fucking wit the same joint changing out sounds and putting different rappers on it, tagging it for different projects, and then in the end it usually never comes out or it ends up as “X” to launch Xzibit Restless album.

So y’all wanna know what happened to King T that’s just Dre being Dre.  He was just making dope shit, changing this changing that… but the crazy thing about Thy Kingdom Come is how close it actually came to dropping.  I mean… it does seem like it was a full go and then last minute got stopped.

I don’t see how it would’ve affected Eminem at all.  That’s like saying the Firm album affected Eminem.  Nobody would’ve even known the difference.  They could have easily had King T drop summer of 98’ he would’ve gone 300,000 or gold to at least recoup on studio time, promo, or whatever they put into it and give the fans something to bump in 98’ other than Snoops Game trash album 💿. 

Then most record buyers would’ve forgot about Thy Kingdom Come by February when Slim Shady LP dropped.

I just don’t really see how they couldn’t of just released Kingdom Come and then started with the Em promo, artist development, and run up to SSLP

that’s not how energy works

when u put energy in one thing it detracts from another

putting out an album takes A LOT of energy.. and once u put it out, that’s just the beginning

that’s why dre is dre.. he understands these things like no other

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2023, 01:05:18 AM »
I remember Julio g playing it and it plays with skits before track like Tha Chron had a skit before it, almost like ridin dirty, it plays out with a phone calls from prison.

He played two other songs as well, I had them on tape in Clean version obviously as it was on the radio.  I was super hyped for the album, I argued with Sam goody guys all summer I did buy Nate Doggs G-Funk Classics thanks to looking for this album.

I didn’t understand why I couldn’t find the album.  King T video played on BET and he was getting a strong push to radio and was in every magazine.

Weird he still hasn’t every really dropped a LP

When restless dropped X said he was doing another King T album and I was like fuck finally! But still nothing

doggfather

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2023, 01:26:08 AM »
got this cd too!

smooth!

8) 8)
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

BIGWORM

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2023, 09:39:34 AM »
Nothing went wrong with King-T... it was just Eminem came to the table and dre wanted to roll all of his dices for Eminem.

Thy Kingdome Come is still a classic.

I'm not saying you're wrong because none of us know the answer. A totally fully finished album that was heavily promoted/marketed in North America alongside radio and video play, doesn't get dropped is super fishy. All it needed was pressing. I can't see how it would interfere with EMINEM's release in any way. Unless Dr. Dre was working at the pressing plant lol.

A similar situation was the Nate Dogg ~ G-Funk Classics Vo.1 was the exact same scenario, but it made the pressing and copies are out (I've got one) and that was stopped due to a cease and desist.

Sccit

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2023, 03:00:21 PM »
I'm not saying you're wrong because none of us know the answer. A totally fully finished album that was heavily promoted/marketed in North America alongside radio and video play, doesn't get dropped is super fishy. All it needed was pressing. I can't see how it would interfere with EMINEM's release in any way. Unless Dr. Dre was working at the pressing plant lol.

A similar situation was the Nate Dogg ~ G-Funk Classics Vo.1 was the exact same scenario, but it made the pressing and copies are out (I've got one) and that was stopped due to a cease and desist.

there’s a lot that goes into promo and marketting AFTER an album drops

actually, most of it comes after

definitely woulda taken away from Eminem

think if Phil Jackson had another team to coach in the day time while he was coaching the threepeat lakers..

the more u got your eyes on the prize, the stronger the results will be

BIGWORM

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2023, 07:33:36 AM »

there’s a lot that goes into promo and marketting AFTER an album drops

actually, most of it comes after

definitely woulda taken away from Eminem

think if Phil Jackson had another team to coach in the day time while he was coaching the threepeat lakers..

the more u got your eyes on the prize, the stronger the results will be

Dr. Dre felt it needed a stronger lead single and King-T disagreed and wanted to stick to the august 28th release date and didn't want to push it back so DRE let him go with his masters.

k1000

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2023, 12:01:15 AM »
I remember the 1998 @@@@ review at hiphopsite.com. They had the full album in 1998. See also their 2003 review http://www.hiphopsite.com/2003/02/10/king-t-thy-kingdom-come/

Very dope that they did the reissue in 2023.

thanks for that review from hiphopsite.com. I always loved visited that site, particularly for their reviews.