Author Topic: Who Was The 1st Underground West MC For You?  (Read 234 times)

Corleone Diamonds

Who Was The 1st Underground West MC For You?
« on: May 18, 2023, 02:07:43 AM »
I got introduced through AEOM booklet that got me informed about Kurupt,Daz,Syke,CPO,E-40, Richie Rich, B-Legit, D-Shot (Uncredited in the song but later in the booklet), Daz, Dru Down.

I was wondering why we never see those guys on TV, Radio,etc.)

Basically The AEOM Introduced Me To Real Rap.

dnjp4life

Re: Who Was The 1st Underground West MC For You?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 03:41:54 AM »
Most of the features you suggest from All Eyez On Me are not really underground rappers in the traditional sense, just that they have never enjoyed much commercial success compared to others.

I consider Crooked I as a sort of underground success, even though I suppose he isn't considered as such anymore. I was aware of him before but really got into his music when he was dropping those fire hip-hop weekly tracks during 2006-2007.  So that would be my answer.

Corleone Diamonds

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 10:33:45 PM »
Most of the features you suggest from All Eyez On Me are not really underground rappers in the traditional sense, just that they have never enjoyed much commercial success compared to others.

I consider Crooked I as a sort of underground success, even though I suppose he isn't considered as such anymore. I was aware of him before but really got into his music when he was dropping those fire hip-hop weekly tracks during 2006-2007.  So that would be my answer.

I see what you're talking about but I still call it underground.

Basically the NWA 10th Anniversary Tribute album I saw in a store opened my eyes and saw that some of them indeed had songs... then I found "kuruption" CD...

doggfather

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 11:30:59 PM »
to me this album was coolios gangstas paradise and the cats who featured on em.

Kam, Shorty, Ras Kass, WC, E-40 neva heard em before.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

HighEyeCue

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 07:49:01 AM »
Crooked I for me...I first heard him on this compilation

https://www.discogs.com/release/1380477-C-Style-Presents-Various-19th-Street-LBC-Compilation

been a fan ever since

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 09:13:03 AM »
To me... Underground West MC's were cats like the Golden State Warriors-- Xzibit, Ras Kass, and Saafir.  Because Death Row sort of represented the mainstream so I wouldn't have considered artists featured on All Eyez On Me to be underground.  I would have considered them to either be big time West Coast artists or homiez of the big artists--- like back in those days I actually used to believe these guys were just friends of the main artists and so they would rap on the records just chillin wit their homies, lol... like it was a way for Snoop to give back to the hood so he would let Daz, Kurupt, and RBX rap on his shit, lol

Then of course when Dogg Food blew up and went platinum I saw it as like Snoop and Dre wanted to give back to their homiez in the hood who stayed down and stayed loyal so they were letting them have some of the spotlight and that Daz and Kurupt had grown to be more than just homiez and they were actually becoming stars and great artists themselves.

It's funny the mind of a 13 year old, but you have to remember at the time I still thought I was going to make the NBA in basketball because if John Stockton could do it why couldn't I.  I thought I was as good as John Stockton even though I didn't even make the starting lineup of my jr. high team.

But it's funny to think back on those dayz.  So I thought Xzibit represented the underground.  I remember when "Papparazi" came out and seeing his ads and shit in the Source and thinking to myself, "oh these are like the underground West Coast rappers, he got skills but his style is too rough to make it on radio." 

I'm just speaking on how I thought in 93'-96' ages 12-14
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Corleone Diamonds

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 07:47:26 PM »
"Because Death Row sort of represented the mainstream so I wouldn't have considered artists featured on All Eyez On Me to be underground."

What word would u use then? For artists without mainstream or any exposure?