Author Topic: Puffy copied Flipmode song for his lead single on his second album !!  (Read 298 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Damn… it’s one thing to completely lift Stings 80’s song for the lead single on your first album but Puffy actually lifted his lead single for his second album as well and it was a song that came out only a couple years earlier !!  It was Rampage song from 1997 !!   Puffy was homies with Rampage and I think Rampage also used a sample so he didn’t own the rights so there’s no bad blood … but when they used to criticize Puffy for sampling this track is possibly his most egregious offense.  Check the similarities…

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

jaytee

Public Enemy did the original which is why Flava Flav is in the video and Chuck D was on the remix.

Sccit

puffy was known for this

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Public Enemy did the original which is why Flava Flav is in the video and Chuck D was on the remix.

Oh damn you’re right I knew Rampage didn’t own the rights but forgot it was Public Enemy in the 80s

Sccit

another 1

• Muthafuckin' Don!

another 1

At least on this one they went next level on the hook with that Big Poppa shit… but it’s clear Puffy don’t really know producing all he does is finds songs he likes and then basically gets his producers to refurbish the shit and sometimes just outright buys it like Flava in Ya Ear he just bought it from Craig Mack and signed him — so he either just finds stuff he likes and has his artists redo it or he buys it and uses it…

By the way I watched that Puffy video for the first time since it dropped — just now — with Flav at the beginning I got to admit that shit is dope how he had Flav rollin wit him in the beggining and then Hurricane G talks shit I don’t know much about her other than the Xzibit record but that was great idea to have her instead of Flav talk shit and then Flav in the car and then hes doin some ol school hiphop breakin sounds for his dance interlude followed by takin it back to the hood for the last verse… shit man sometimes you gotta give the devil his due— he went all out with that shit

Then I went back and listened to the old PE version and damn Flav has gotta be like the Dennis Rodman in rap such a charismatic personality — Bomb Squad really changed the game with the production on that shit for it being the 80’s

jaytee

I don't remember if this song has ever been posted on here or not, but an artist by the name of Notorious B1 dropped a song sampling Mtume's "Juicy Fruit" in 1993. Biggie dropped "Juicy" in 1994.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I don't remember if this song has ever been posted on here or not, but an artist by the name of Notorious B1 dropped a song sampling Mtume's "Juicy Fruit" in 1993. Biggie dropped "Juicy" in 1994.

Great find—very likely Puffy st8 up jacked the idea for bigs first breakthrough hit with this.  Big obviously did innovative stuff with the lyrics so you can’t discredit Big for anything but yeah the producers of Juicy were big time biters and would’ve gotten called out in back when bitin was a sin

Sccit

Great find—very likely Puffy st8 up jacked the idea for bigs first breakthrough hit with this.  Big obviously did innovative stuff with the lyrics so you can’t discredit Big for anything but yeah the producers of Juicy were big time biters and would’ve gotten called out in back when bitin was a sin

not just the song .. but the name was bitten too

dudes name was Notorious B1

LOL

• Muthafuckin' Don!

not just the song .. but the name was bitten too

dudes name was Notorious B1

LOL

Yeah that’s way too coincidental, would like to hear the backstory on that, surprised this has never been mentioned anywhere. 

Sccit

Re: Puffy copied Flipmode song for his lead single on his second album !!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 11:15:04 PM »
Yeah that’s way too coincidental, would like to hear the backstory on that, surprised this has never been mentioned anywhere.

it’s been mentioned

was a big story too

https://allhiphop.com/rumors/a-rapper-named-notorious-big1-says-his-name-and-song-was-stolen-and-hes-mad/

doggfather

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 01:32:59 AM »
similar to 50 cent, right?
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 10:53:57 PM »

it’s been mentioned

was a big story too

https://allhiphop.com/rumors/a-rapper-named-notorious-big1-says-his-name-and-song-was-stolen-and-hes-mad/

This shits crazy homie — just seeing now for first rhyme

(how anyone can put Big on PAC’s level … Big can rap and he was fuckin dope and this is comin from me I don’t listen to Jay-Z, and I try not to listen to anything Bad Boy cause I’m still trapped in 96’ and the east/West beef era at heart but some of Bigs joints were just too bangin’ I had to listen even though I know it wasn’t healthy and “Juicy” and “Big Poppa” were before the beef so those joints don’t effect my spirit but if I bump “Kick in the Door” or something like that then I know I’m making Pac mad and will feel guilty later cheating on him)

tempo2

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 03:32:14 AM »
Its well known biggie did not like the song juicy, he hated recording it and also disliked performing it, makes sense he would feel this way if he knew the song kind of stemmed from another artist. The song is massively out of place on the ready to die album, was obviously used to push the commercial sales

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 09:29:06 AM »
Its well known biggie did not like the song juicy, he hated recording it and also disliked performing it, makes sense he would feel this way if he knew the song kind of stemmed from another artist. The song is massively out of place on the ready to die album, was obviously used to push the commercial sales

It’s a great song though… inspiring as well, I bumped it a lot summer of 95’.  My best friend made me one of those dubbed cassette tapes of the best songs from cd’s that he had that I didn’t.  That’s still today the best thing any friend ever gave me… “Juicy” was the first song.  Notice it’s basically all the best rap music from those days that wasn’t on a Death Row album.  Cause those days I was 13 and who’s gonna drive you to the record store and how much money do you have at 13?  So I used my money to buy anything Death Row and the rest I copied from friends.

Juicy
Big Poppa
Beware of My Crew
Thuggish Ruggish Bone
I’ll Be Around
Playas Club
Mama I’m In Love With A Gangsta
Today Was A Good Day
Keep the Heads Ringin’

And then the next summer, literally like the day after my first love and I broke up it must’ve been fate because I gave the tape to a kid that was my neighbor because he had the Nas It Was Written Album and he was supposed to copy it onto that B side of that casssette tape for me and I wrote “This Side” on it and the dumb mutherfucka copied over the wrong side like either didn’t see it or thought that side went to the back.  The kid ended up being really smart and he’s rich now doing something, bought me dinner last summer when we all met at one of the most expensive restaurants in KC, but was a nerd and dumb when it came to music I was so pissed at him