Author Topic: Colin Wolfe musical breakdown of 'The Chronic'  (Read 1027 times)

Okka

Re: Colin Wolfe musical breakdown of 'The Chronic'
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2024, 09:10:31 AM »
exact same MOOG you're hearing, it's being played  in a auditorium and the sound is not engineered. Colin Wolfe made some sick beats on Heltah Skeltah by D.O.C. too bad the Voice of D.O.C. makes the tracks cringe worthy.

That's Erotic D, not Colin Wolfe.

bd94s10

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2024, 07:31:16 PM »
Colin has reshared some of my posts in the past on his story related to The Chronic. He has worked on a lot of awesome tracks over the years! https://genius.com/artists/Colin-wolfe/songs

The following users thanked this post: b.laden, Marco

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2024, 01:51:39 AM »
Okay, let me break down The Chronic the way I remember it.

I did the sound remastering on The Chronic 1993 and did a bit of Doggystyle plus initial sequencing minus skits for both albums. On Doggystyle, its short two tracks minus Next Episode which makes it three. Then we're short two Dogg Pound cuts meant for Doggystyle. Plus a third cut which is just Dr. Dre minimal Snoop Dogg. Then we have a fourth cut that's suppose t be track four called Air with Snoop and Tha Dogg Pound on the beat; produced by Dr. Dre. Colin Wolfe, Chris The Glove, DJ Unknown, Chocolate, DJ Premier, DJ Slip, Rhythm D, Erotic D, Sam Sneed, Warren G, Daz Dillinger, RC, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Lady of Rage, and even Kurupt played a part on picking the remastered sounds with me to make The Chronic sound more updated than when it was initially turned in. There are over 7 different versions of The Chronic based around Dr. Dre's version including one by Erotic D to showcase the progress of the album from a group project to a Dr. Dre a solo album.

- The Chronic Intro was heavily censored because it went through revisions due to the gang related nature of the song. There are multiple versions of this.

- Fuck With Dre-Day has a censored RBX outro with Death Row Inmates cussing Ruthless Records out over it.

- Nothing But A G Thing - Daz did some extra vocals on it but sounded spaced out; they tried Prince Ital Joe with the rumbibud line but not in these sessions - it was considered for a club mix to have Prince Ital Joe on it. Glove did some work on this song,

- The Day The N*ggaz Took Over was called Fuck It Let's Kill A Cop or Mr. Officer (We wanted to call it Mr. Officer (Fuck It Let's Kill A Cop) - There's a version with Tha Convictz then the version we have plus another version.

- Let Me Ride has two Sam Sneed versions but not from the Chronic session of this. Snoop Dogg has a version with the same sample with him saying Now everybody saying with a different beat. Let Me Ride the uncensored version from this session has a female on the outro. Tha Convictz and RBX wrote this one.

- Deez Nuts has two different versions of the phone call given it in plus with one with Dr. Dre saying (Shut up hell n'gah n*gga) (A cut off outro with Daz laughing too.)

- Lil Ghetto Boy has a different intro and has two rough demos of where they re-do the chorus trying to make the sample line up to the retail without sample bleeding over to instrumental.

- A N*gga With A Gun - there's four to five original versions of this song. The live version of this that was meant to be released is different than The T. Money Green Version

- Rat-Tat-Tat (Original Version) was Mike Lynn of Po, Broke, N Lonely producing the beat with percussion by Gregory Gregski Royal who did work with RBX.

- Lyrical Gangbang had a few verses cut from it from other Death Row Records inmates that weren't on the album. Gregski worked on this with Colin Wolfe.

- Hoe Hopper (Original Version) was sampled by Sam Sneed in another song but Glove, Warren G, and Daz did Hoe Hopper for Dr. Dre with Snoop and Dre tweaking the production.

- Warren G did Rat-Tat-Tat (Retail) with Gun Shot sounds by Daz the beat.

- The Doctor's Office (Originally was suppose to be three skits)

- Two tracks were cut off between Stranded Off Death Row and High Powered (With a third one cut for consideration but not part of that session but an earlier session.) (Stranded On Death Row has an analog version where the song kinda falls apart due to the tape rip status of it making the tambourines sound too shakey)

- Back In Bed Again by Jewell was suppose to be the song after those.

- The Roach was made the day Michael Jackson didn't show up to the studio. There's a version with Tha Convictz, one with RC and RBX, and one just of them getting high.

- Bitches Ain't Shit had unheard verses by Tha Convicts and others.

- Sam Sneed did two tracks after The Roach that didn't make the album, produced by Sam J. Sniad (Sammy Jazz)

- RBX did a track after The Roach rapping. And three more tracks that weren't meant for the album after that session but in the same time period.

- The homies did a track after The Roach Outro - of all the Death Row rappers and gangbangers in the studio freestyling.

- There were three more tracks with just the homies and one called Fuck With Dre Day (Part 2 labeled as Part 3) done in the same time frame.

- Puffin On Blunts and Tanqueray actually has a longer song than normal because it features Death Row Inmates unheard with more shit talking from Dre.

- 2Pac showed up to a session once and did a song with Lady of Rage by writing for her and an intro to the song. 2Pac tried to get on High Powered but couldn't get his flow right.

- DJ Premier did most of the songs of the original versions of songs you hear on Chronic 2000 The Dr. Dre Version or Inside and Out Compilation and did something with Rat-Tat-Tat he contributed on but didn't make it plus High Powered plus The Roach plus OG 2 BG plus The Roach plus Track 17 The Gank (Dr. Dre Funk)

- Eminem did some stuff as Hittman that didn't make the cut. Hittman, the concept of that artist was played around with for a while.

- Jewell did unheard vocals for The Roach. Kurupt had two solos plus a third cut he wanted as a bonus track to The Chronic.

- Warren G did like four to six bonus tracks he thought would make the cut but never did. Then 2Pac did some shit around then with Sam Sneed who he called Flexx - trying to make the cut for the bonus cuts on The Chronic/Doggystyle album. Then we also had Tha Convictz do three or four cuts plus their own sessions. D.O.C. rewrote these songs with RBX, Snoop Dogg, Erotic D, Lady of Rage,  Tha Convictz, and Warren G being the main writers for The Chronic.

- Chris Clairmont got beat down in the Chronic Sessions. Eric The Drunk Borders was beat down at the Above The Rim party and had his shirt collar grabbed by Suge Knight torwards The Roach session. Justin Reinhardt was taken, beaten, and had his face smashed into an electronic keyboard torwards the end of session 14.  Willie Will mixed but quit around Doggystyle due to disagreements with Suge Knight and the staff. Ben Butler did two sessions then went missing. The third session if one exist is still to be missing. Nate Dogg did one or two solo songs he wanted to cut into The Chronic plus three bonus tracks. Katisse Buckingham stayed until Track 13 in Doggystyle then left the label.

That's about as good of a breakdown that I can give you on The Chronic sessions.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2024, 01:53:47 AM »
I even have a funny session where Jimmy Iovine busts a freestyle over The Chronic instrumentals. Things were very hype back then and not in a gay way.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2024, 01:59:40 AM »
A lot of these I think Snoop will put out when the time is right. You think the Chronic's a classic now - wait until you hear the unheards. One or more songs I'm forgetting but that wraps up my breakdown of the album and the sessions I know of and was involved in. For The Chronic; there's also these sessions - Dre sessions done outside of The Chronic that exist. No one really knows what they were for. Plus six to eight sessions of Chocolate (Mr. Choc of Ginuwine Draftz) doing songs with the Death Row Inmates as Guest Features including Warren G doing more than that in total with Chocolate. Like none of these songs are floating around despite Hyland's and Omar's leaks.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2024, 02:03:12 AM »
And wanted to bring up a point in here, since D.O.C. is the last project my staff and I are dropping, its best to support the artists from here on out because I don't think you'll be receiving this for quite sometime.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2024, 10:15:15 AM »

I did the sound remastering on The Chronic 1993 and did a bit of Doggystyle plus initial sequencing minus skits for both albums. On Doggystyle, its short two tracks minus Next Episode which makes it three. Then we're short two Dogg Pound cuts meant for Doggystyle. Plus a third cut which is just Dr. Dre minimal Snoop Dogg. Then we have a fourth cut that's suppose t be track four called Air with Snoop and Tha Dogg Pound on the beat; produced by Dr. Dre. Colin Wolfe, Chris The Glove, DJ Unknown, Chocolate, DJ Premier, DJ Slip, Rhythm D, Erotic D, Sam Sneed, Warren G, Daz Dillinger, RC, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Lady of Rage, and even Kurupt played a part on picking the remastered sounds with me to make The Chronic sound more updated than when it was initially turned in. There are over 7 different versions of The Chronic based around Dr. Dre's version including one by Erotic D to showcase the progress of the album from a group project to a Dr. Dre a solo album.

- The Chronic Intro was heavily censored because it went through revisions due to the gang related nature of the song. There are multiple versions of this.

- Fuck With Dre-Day has a censored RBX outro with Death Row Inmates cussing Ruthless Records out over it.

- Nothing But A G Thing - Daz did some extra vocals on it but sounded spaced out; they tried Prince Ital Joe with the rumbibud line but not in these sessions - it was considered for a club mix to have Prince Ital Joe on it. Glove did some work on this song,

- The Day The N*ggaz Took Over was called Fuck It Let's Kill A Cop or Mr. Officer (We wanted to call it Mr. Officer (Fuck It Let's Kill A Cop) - There's a version with Tha Convictz then the version we have plus another version.

- Let Me Ride has two Sam Sneed versions but not from the Chronic session of this. Snoop Dogg has a version with the same sample with him saying Now everybody saying with a different beat. Let Me Ride the uncensored version from this session has a female on the outro. Tha Convictz and RBX wrote this one.

- Deez Nuts has two different versions of the phone call given it in plus with one with Dr. Dre saying (Shut up hell n'gah n*gga) (A cut off outro with Daz laughing too.)

- Lil Ghetto Boy has a different intro and has two rough demos of where they re-do the chorus trying to make the sample line up to the retail without sample bleeding over to instrumental.

- A N*gga With A Gun - there's four to five original versions of this song. The live version of this that was meant to be released is different than The T. Money Green Version

- Rat-Tat-Tat (Original Version) was Mike Lynn of Po, Broke, N Lonely producing the beat with percussion by Gregory Gregski Royal who did work with RBX.

- Lyrical Gangbang had a few verses cut from it from other Death Row Records inmates that weren't on the album. Gregski worked on this with Colin Wolfe.

- Hoe Hopper (Original Version) was sampled by Sam Sneed in another song but Glove, Warren G, and Daz did Hoe Hopper for Dr. Dre with Snoop and Dre tweaking the production.

- Two tracks were cut off between Stranded Off Death Row and High Powered (With a third one cut for consideration but not part of that session but an earlier session.) (Stranded On Death Row has an analog version where the song kinda falls apart due to the tape rip status of it making the tambourines sound too shakey)

- The Roach was made the day Michael Jackson didn't show up to the studio. There's a version with Tha Convictz, one with RC and RBX, and one just of them getting high.

- Sam Sneed did two tracks after The Roach that didn't make the album, produced by Sam J. Sniad (Sammy Jazz)

- RBX did a track after The Roach rapping. And three more tracks that weren't meant for the album after that session but in the same time period.

- The homies did a track after The Roach Outro - of all the Death Row rappers and gangbangers in the studio freestyling.

- There were three more tracks with just the homies and one called Fuck With Dre Day (Part 2 labeled as Part 3) done in the same time frame.

- Puffin On Blunts and Tanqueray actually has a longer song than normal because it features Death Row Inmates unheard with more shit talking from Dre.

- 2Pac showed up to a session once and did a song with Lady of Rage by writing for her and an intro to the song. 2Pac tried to get on High Powered but couldn't get his flow right.

- DJ Premier did most of the songs of the original versions of songs you hear on Chronic 2000 The Dr. Dre Version or Inside and Out Compilation and did something with Rat-Tat-Tat he contributed on but didn't make it plus High Powered plus The Roach plus OG 2 BG plus The Roach plus Track 17 The Gank (Dr. Dre Funk)

- Eminem did some stuff as Hittman that didn't make the cut. Hittman, the concept of that artist was played around with for a while.

- Jewell did unheard vocals for The Roach. Kurupt had two solos plus a third cut he wanted as a bonus track to The Chronic.

- Warren G did like four to six bonus tracks he thought would make the cut but never did. Then 2Pac did some shit around then with Sam Sneed who he called Flexx - trying to make the cut for the bonus cuts on The Chronic/Doggystyle album. Then we also had Tha Convictz do three or four cuts plus their own sessions. D.O.C. rewrote these songs with RBX, Snoop Dogg, Erotic D, Lady of Rage,  Tha Convictz, and Warren G being the main writers for The Chronic.

- Chris Clairmont got beat down in the Chronic Sessions. Eric The Drunk Borders was beat down at the Above The Rim party and had his shirt collar grabbed by Suge Knight torwards The Roach session. Justin Reinhardt was taken, beaten, and had his face smashed into an electronic keyboard torwards the end of session 14.  Willie Will mixed but quit around Doggystyle due to disagreements with Suge Knight and the staff. Ben Butler did two sessions then went missing. The third session if one exist is still to be missing. Nate Dogg did one or two solo songs he wanted to cut into The Chronic plus three bonus tracks. Katisse Buckingham stayed until Track 13 in Doggystyle then left the label.

That's about as good of a breakdown that I can give you on The Chronic sessions.

I was also there engineering and mixing the original Chronic.  You forgot to mention:
-- Above The Law was there and they recorded a song with Dre called Super Duper Man
--Prince was there and recorded with Dre song called, Purple Haze.  Got cut due to samples

--Eazy E was actually there and helped Dre write Dre Day.  The beef was all fabricated for record sales.  I partied with both of them at the Chronic release party

--Snoop brought BG Knoccout to Dre to ghostwrite for Snoop.

--OG Version of Lil Ghetto Boy had Warren G on it.

--2pac came by and recorded 8 songs wit Dre. Was gonna call EP Rolling Papers, i have all the masters.  Didn't come out due to the 92 elections.

--Dre discovered BONE when he was in Cleveland at a baseball game.  Snoop was gonna be part of the group called DOGG and his BONE.  I had all the masters.  Didn't come out because Crooked Bone and Diseased Bone (6th and 7th members) got in trouble in Peru and we had to give up the masters to the Feds. 

That's all i can make up, er, remember right now.

The following users thanked this post: mtbsm

Okka

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2024, 10:57:44 AM »

Another unfunny troll. Oh, well.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2024, 12:44:37 PM »
I was also there engineering and mixing the original Chronic.  You forgot to mention:
-- Above The Law was there and they recorded a song with Dre called Super Duper Man
--Prince was there and recorded with Dre song called, Purple Haze.  Got cut due to samples

--Eazy E was actually there and helped Dre write Dre Day.  The beef was all fabricated for record sales.  I partied with both of them at the Chronic release party

--Snoop brought BG Knoccout to Dre to ghostwrite for Snoop.

--OG Version of Lil Ghetto Boy had Warren G on it.

--2pac came by and recorded 8 songs wit Dre. Was gonna call EP Rolling Papers, i have all the masters.  Didn't come out due to the 92 elections.

--Dre discovered BONE when he was in Cleveland at a baseball game.  Snoop was gonna be part of the group called DOGG and his BONE.  I had all the masters.  Didn't come out because Crooked Bone and Diseased Bone (6th and 7th members) got in trouble in Peru and we had to give up the masters to the Feds. 

That's all i can make up, er, remember right now.

Rolling Papers was Preorinic by 2Pac. I have that album. It contains some of the near retail Chronic Instrumentals but some unheard mixed poly-finessed on it too. No Dre minus the Beats though and the outro.

What'cha Gonna Do When You Grow Up - Face The Hood is mirroring what you said about Warren G Lil Ghetto Boy a seperate song  but- the song you're thinking of is Lil Ghetto Boy Of Mine by Warren G - same beat.

The Dr. Dre beef with Eazy E was half fake; half real. Dogg Pound beef was real.

Subisemsomic to me now. (Prince Vocals) Quauauaua Above The Law (Dre Vocals) Purple Haze right?

Super Duper Man was cut during the end of The Chronic sessions - the song featured Dr. Dre at the end of it and I believe Big Mike of Tha Convictz.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2024, 12:54:04 PM »
He did an alternate version of that song with Prince, one more song with Dr. Dre, one song with Snoop and Dr. Dre, and Above The Law ft. Prince - Rowdy. All come from that one session. It was after The Roach when they done the song.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2024, 01:00:40 PM »
I heard a rumor check into this - do Bone Thugz N Harmony come from Apartment Complex Cherokee Hills? Chattanooga is where I heard they came from before Ohio.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2024, 11:18:23 AM »
Colin Wolfe did 4 songs on Helter Skelter with the entire production team being Colin Wofe, Mally Mal, Erotic D, Dr. Dre (Skeletons), Quin-C doing all the beats.

Colin doesn't get much credit because around 1993 - he leaves Death Row Records to go work with producer Dallas Austin. The Death Row Records camp started accusing Colin of being gay because Dallas they think is gay but with Colin they're not sure. So Colin does a few rap songs here and there but he keeps his name going. Around 1996, because Dr. Dre stayed silent all that time, he starts working with him again until 2002. Then in 2007, Colin started his own band - and you can find some of their old songs on Colin's Myspace Page.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2024, 11:23:03 AM »
Eazy E wrote the original version of Fuck With Dre Day (Fuck With Diggin' Eyez) by Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. There's more of a rock and skeleton sound to it with originally The D.O.C. featuring instead of Snoop.

With Eazy E on Nothing But A G Thing, but he wrote Nothing But A Stee Thing when he was writing the pre-verses for the song like to see what made it to the cut and he was actually happy when Ruthless Records was being dissed by Dre because D.O.C. and Dr. Dre were making money.

mtbsm

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2024, 12:55:36 PM »
are you ok?

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2024, 01:31:19 PM »
People don't know this but before Aftermath - Dr. Dre and Eminem met once. He freestyled one verse in two different sessions. Did one song - then got stuck up under Sam Sneed on the recommendation to do songs with him by Dr. Dre  - did about 18 songs then went home on the bus after a gang incident at a party. He also got about 7 - 8 songs into his alternate persona Hittman.