Author Topic: Was Bone Art of War a Classic if only one disc?  (Read 290 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Was Bone Art of War a Classic if only one disc?
« on: January 09, 2024, 10:44:28 PM »
Everyone agrees that Creepin on a Come Up and East 99' were classics, and Art of War did well commercially, it actually sold just as well as East 1999 Eternal if you count both discs then it is a 4X Platinum album.  Even as one disc I don't think it's as great as Creepin on a Come Up or East 99' but I do think it may be a classic record if you take out all the filler and condense to one disc of 12 like Illmatic or G Funk Era length.

1.  Intro
2.  Thug Luv
3.  Handle the Vibe
4.  Look Into My Eyes
5.  Body Rott
6.  Ready 4 War
7.  Ain't Nothin Changed
8.  Clog Up Your Mind
9.  It's All Real
10.  If I Could Teach the World
11.  7 Sign
12.  Wasteland Warrior

^^^That looks like a Classic to me.

Check this verse from Krayzie Bone on "Body Rott" this shit is insane, and the way he fuckin spits this shit his flow is flawless...

[Verse 1: Krayzie Bone]

"We paper-chase and smoke blunts
You'll nevers find a thuggish bunch of niggas like us (Like us)
Don't be so quick to test us, I'll be 'noyed and might bust
I'mma have to talk to Eazy through the Ouija, so I can see
And maybe he can tell me why you're hatin' on me, bitin' on me
Why you want me to show a nigga' Leatherface in me?
Don't fuck around, nigga, he's a real buck-'em-down nigga
Motherfuck rappin', how 'bout fuckin' with me now, nigga?
Niggas get ya checks from ya broads, get high
Then your broads sneak ya keys from ya niggas and ride
Everybody wanna party, even the niggas with a problem
Hey, nigga, we can solve 'em, 'cause, bitch, we'll squash 'em
Don't know me, fuck you when you got beef
But you also got the clone styles and no motif
See me rappin' on yo TV, actin'
And it's a fact that when you see us in person
Think we gon' flex or show you no action
Down for mine, got to show a nigga time to time
So I figure I'll slow down the rhyme
So they can understand I'm filled with so much anger and pain
And if I drop, then I'll explode like a fuckin' grenade, nigga
Fuck calm, time to ring the alarm
Breakin' niggas out of prison, killin' all the guards (Woo)
Power to the people, givin' people the power to put it down in your city
And fuck them hillbillies
Nigga, I can't stand no motherfuckin' po-po
When will we start killin' these bitches and takin' no mo'? (Yeah)
Bone Thug the only clique that I claim
Although we all beyond the bangin', you can say I roll wit' a gang
And dissin' chin checkers in the makin', uh
So, nigga, continue with the rotation (Rotation, rotation, rotation)"
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

Re: Was Bone Art of War a Classic if only one disc?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 05:30:39 AM »
Krayzie carried that album imo

but as the case with most double CDs (AEOM being an exception) it would have been classic if it were cut down to 1...there were more than enough dope tracks on there...Body Rott was also a personal favorite of mine and so was Wasteland Warriors

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 01:15:27 AM »
Krayzie carried that album imo

but as the case with most double CDs (AEOM being an exception) it would have been classic if it were cut down to 1...there were more than enough dope tracks on there...Body Rott was also a personal favorite of mine and so was Wasteland Warriors

Yeah Krayzie carried it—it was a bit of the typical “sophomore” (2nd full length album if you don’t count the EP) jinx phenomenon with Bone—similar to what happened to Snoop, to Nas, to a lot of artists.  They used up all their A material.  Krayzie said a lot of the material on East 99 was ideas they’d had around for years and were finally getting a chance to put it all out in a full length LP.  Now they’d made it big and now they are stars and lose traction with the streets and with their roots and the things that made them great in the first place.  Krayzie still acted like he loved being in the studio and was the leader of the group—but the others weren’t all in on the project like before. 

You could also say DJ U-Neek carried the album.  Because all the beats were hard on the album and great melody at the same time—you could tell DJ U-Neek was all in on the project—he was probably paid like a Bone member and was the guy in the studio day and night every time just waiting for the others to show up.  Then he had to figure out how to mix it all down to make it sound like a group album even though cats weren’t all there all the time.

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

dnjp4life

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 04:35:46 AM »
Yes it absolutely would have.  There aren't really any skips for me when I listen to the Art of War which is surprising for a two-disc album, although some tracks are naturally better than others.

Like you say, Krayzie Bone is the star on this thing, and you're kinda waiting for his verse everytime a new track comes in, but that's not to say the others in Bone don't have standout verses, like their solo tracks on here.  It's a group effort after all and wouldn't have worked if one of them was missing.

DJ U-Neek did his thing one here, the vibe is similar to E.1999 which is why I listen to it just as much as that album.  Would have to put 'It's All Mo Thug' on the one disc version though, that song is just too smooth  8)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 05:17:16 AM »
Yeah Krayzie carried it—it was a bit of the typical “sophomore” (2nd full length album if you don’t count the EP) jinx phenomenon with Bone—similar to what happened to Snoop, to Nas, to a lot of artists.  They used up all their A material.  Krayzie said a lot of the material on East 99 was ideas they’d had around for years and were finally getting a chance to put it all out in a full length LP.  Now they’d made it big and now they are stars and lose traction with the streets and with their roots and the things that made them great in the first place.  Krayzie still acted like he loved being in the studio and was the leader of the group—but the others weren’t all in on the project like before. 

You could also say DJ U-Neek carried the album.  Because all the beats were hard on the album and great melody at the same time—you could tell DJ U-Neek was all in on the project—he was probably paid like a Bone member and was the guy in the studio day and night every time just waiting for the others to show up.  Then he had to figure out how to mix it all down to make it sound like a group album even though cats weren’t all there all the time.

yeah DJ Uneek often gets overlooked but he always brought top notch production 8)

Yes it absolutely would have.  There aren't really any skips for me when I listen to the Art of War which is surprising for a two-disc album, although some tracks are naturally better than others.

Like you say, Krazie Bone is the star on this thing, and you're kinda waiting for his verse everytime a new track come in, but that's not to say the others in Bone don't have standout verses, like their solo tracks on here.  It's a group effort after all and wouldn't have worked if one of them was missing.

DJ U-Neek did his thing one here, the vibe is similar to E.1999 which is why I listen to it just as much as that album.  Would have to put 'It's All Mo Thug' on the one disc version though, that song is just too smooth  8)

I still listen to CDs on my player and I too listen to the whole thing...maybe because I don't have a remote for it lol

but seriously other than Pacs AEOM there isnt a double album that is really as good as Art Of War

dnjp4life

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 05:35:18 AM »
I would say Life After Death holds its own with the other double-disc albums, but All Eyez On Me will always take the crown, being the greatest album of all time (in my opinion).

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 05:35:32 AM »

Like you say, Krazie Bone is the star on this thing, and you're kinda waiting for his verse everytime a new track come in, but that's not to say the others in Bone don't have standout verses, like their solo tracks on here.  It's a group effort after all and wouldn't have worked if one of them was missing.

yeah, there were some other great verses on here that weren't Krayzie Bone.  Like Bizzy goes off on "Thug Luv" and the story is that he's basically the one who linked with Pac and did that track and then they just added the other members later—so Bizzy deserves a ton of credit for putting that together. 

...one reason the album wasn't as good as the first two Bone albums was it was more straight forward, like—okay your turn to spit 16, now Bizzy's turn to spit 16, now Layzie spit 16... it didn't have that magic like the first two albums where it felt like they were just vibing over a burning fire in the back of an alley like the opening to "Thuggish Ruggish Bone" video or like "Take it Back" in the original Rocky movie.. that type of shit was what really made Bone special is how they were homies and could finish each others sentences when they first came up but then they started to go their seperate ways with money and fame

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 05:38:04 AM »
I would say Life After Death holds its own with the other double-disc albums, but All Eyez On Me will always take the crown, being the greatest album of all time (in my opinion).

Even though I hate Bad Boy and still live in 96' mentally I never grew up—and so I'm still carrying out the East/West beef...

...I have to admit Biggies Life After Death was maybe the only record other than All Eyez On Me which actually deserved a double album.   Dre could've split 2001 up into a double album and added a few of the leftovers easily, but he didn't.  I mean the album was fuckin like 22 tracks or something

HighEyeCue

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 06:48:33 AM »
totally forgot about LAD...tbh I bought it the day it came out and listened to it a lot over the 1st couple of years but haven't heard it in a long time

definitely up there as far as double albums go though

another one is Outkasts... even though I am not a huge fan of them or southern music in general I admit it was really dope 8)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 11:44:04 AM »

another one is Outkasts... even though I am not a huge fan of them or southern music in general I admit it was really dope 8)

I usually agree with everything you say on here.  But this one I can't agree with.  I never did understand what the hell was going on for most of the Andre disc, and even the Big Boi side of it there was a couple of bangers but I didn't get most of it.

And that's coming from someone who was a fan of Outkast from their first album I was in stores and bumped that album cover to cover the year it came out—and nobody in my city had even heard of the guys.  Most only became big fans when their second record came around ATLiens, which was also classic.  I thought their first 4 were all classics and played them all front to back without skips—but SpeakerBox/The Love Below was over my head, I didn't get that shit. 

And I was still a head checking for new music at the time of Speakerbox/Love Below, I didn't become ol' school till Nas officially called the death of Hip-Hop at the end of 2006 with the album Hip-Hop Is Dead.  That's when I became ol' school and stopped checking for new shit the day hip-hop went to Lil Wayne and Skinny Jeans.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 02:20:50 PM »
I usually agree with everything you say on here.  But this one I can't agree with.  I never did understand what the hell was going on for most of the Andre disc, and even the Big Boi side of it there was a couple of bangers but I didn't get most of it.

And that's coming from someone who was a fan of Outkast from their first album I was in stores and bumped that album cover to cover the year it came out—and nobody in my city had even heard of the guys.  Most only became big fans when their second record came around ATLiens, which was also classic.  I thought their first 4 were all classics and played them all front to back without skips—but SpeakerBox/The Love Below was over my head, I didn't get that shit. 

And I was still a head checking for new music at the time of Speakerbox/Love Below, I didn't become ol' school till Nas officially called the death of Hip-Hop at the end of 2006 with the album Hip-Hop Is Dead.  That's when I became ol' school and stopped checking for new shit the day hip-hop went to Lil Wayne and Skinny Jeans.

I was never a huge fan of OutKast but that album was so big that I kinda jumped on the bandwagon for a bit…I did enjoy it a lot but I have to revisit it one of these days

I actually lost faith in new music around the same time, I enjoyed Nas’s HHiD and Snoops BCT but yeah the Wayne, Dipset, skateboard era wasn’t for me

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 04:54:30 AM »
I was never a huge fan of OutKast but that album was so big that I kinda jumped on the bandwagon for a bit…I did enjoy it a lot but I have to revisit it one of these days

I actually lost faith in new music around the same time, I enjoyed Nas’s HHiD and Snoops BCT but yeah the Wayne, Dipset, skateboard era wasn’t for me

Yeah man... that's why I thought it was so perfect that Nas came out with that album right at that moment at the end of 2006—Hip-Hop is Dead.

Because 2006 was the last year I checked for new hip-hop and stayed up on all the new releases, and went to Barnes and Noble and read all the magazines cover to cover--Source, XXL, Murder Dog, Rap Pages--whatever was still around.  Then in 2007 Wayne took the crown and the game switched up to skinny jeans. 

I was still up hip-hop head but I stopped checking for new shit and started just digging for old gems.  But first I took a few years off and started listening to stuff like Reggae and 80's music from my youth like Phil Collins.  But yeah man—that was really when the change took place—remember even Eminem couldn't save the game at that time he dropped that ridiculous album with some sort of Russian accent—Relapse.  The game's been fucked up ever since Wayne and skinny jeans took over.  But headz like Doggfather at the forum still in denial—but hey, to each his own, no disrespect