Author Topic: Tupac's vault (and the way unreleased material was ultimately released)  (Read 577 times)

sweetdudejim

So I'll start off by saying I'm not the hugest Tupac fan. I'll even say I'm not a huge hip-hop head. Off the top of my head, my hip-hop collection only includes Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, D.O.C., N.W.A, the 213 album, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Beastie Boys and OutKast. That's about it. I like some Tupac stuff, but got rid of the albums years ago and really don't listen to him much.

But regardless, what the fuck is up with his catalog? I know that the hip-hop community doesn't seem to value it's past the way that the rock and jazz communities seem to, as far as putting together box sets or deluxe editions that sometimes help put the music in something approaching some kind of order as far as unreleased and rare recordings go.

With Tupac it just seems like everything is a mess. As far as all the recordings that came out after his death, which weren't futzed with in a pretty major way? Except for the Makaveli album and what, "Soon As I Get Home" from Pac's Life, is there anything that wasn't pretty well changed?

Now I get it, Afeni and whoever was in charge of Tupac's estate probably felt like over the next ten years they revamped and remixed the material to make it more "contemporary," even if the music that they were trying to keep current with usually was nowhere close to the stuff Tupac originally had. So yeah, while it's great that we got all those unreleased songs, it woulda been cool to get them as Tupac had intended them (or at least as he had left them).

And despite the fact that it's been over 17 years since the last album of predominately unreleased material, we never got anything more. Why is that? I know Afeni died, and I'm sure that brought its own issues. But why hasn't the estate made a deal with whatever label sounds nice, and put out deluxe editions (or maybe even box sets) for each of his albums released during his life. Stuff like all the b-sides, soundtrack appearances if possible, and then of course the original unreleased songs as Tupac left them. But it seems to me that all those late '90s/early to mid '00s remixes are gonna be what stands in history as the definitive versions of a large part of Tupac's catalog. And that's a bit of a shame.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
Re: Tupac's vault (and the way unreleased material was ultimately released)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 12:56:51 AM »
I have went to Interscope and Loma Vista Recordings in regards to this issue. Several new masters have been turned in and are pending release.

dnjp4life

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 04:30:21 AM »
I don't know who is in charge of 2Pac's estate or which record label(s) have the rights to his music anymore, especially since Afeni passed away, which was quite a few years ago now.  Does Snoop own the rights to his Death Row Records material?

Also, whilst it would be nice to have all the unreleaseds and original versions officially put out, I don't think there is really an appetite outside of hardcore fans like us on the DubCC forum for that music, so perhaps it's not seen as a worthwhile venture for those in control of the estate.  Maybe I'm wrong, afterall 2Pac's numbers are big on Spotify so there could be an audience for more music.

One thing though is that a lot of 2Pac's stuff would need to be enhanced, added to, or remastered before its released.  I'm thinking on the lines of the track 'Good Life' from the Until The End of Time album, which I believe is the original track just slightly revamped with a little extra instrumentation and adlibs etc to bring it up to date. 

The tracks recorded for the One Nation album for example, the majority of them are quite bare bones and are almost like freestyle sessions, which maybe 2Pac intended them to be that way at the time, and I'm sure he and his producers would have fleshed them out further had he been able to finish the project, but they would now need a lot of work before being officially released.  And that would involve getting a production team together again, ideally those originally involved with the tracks, to finish them off.  Just a lot of work all round.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 05:34:55 AM »
I don't know who is in charge of 2Pac's estate or which record label(s) have the rights to his music anymore, especially since Afeni passed away, which was quite a few years ago now.  Does Snoop own the rights to his Death Row Records material?

Also, whilst it would be nice to have all the unreleaseds and original versions officially put out, I don't think there is really an appetite outside of hardcore fans like us on the DubCC forum for that music, so perhaps it's not seen as a worthwhile venture for those in control of the estate.  Maybe I'm wrong, afterall 2Pac's numbers are big on Spotify so there could be an audience for more music.

One thing though is that a lot of 2Pac's stuff would need to be enhanced, added to, or remastered before its released.  I'm thinking on the lines of the track 'Good Life' from the Until The End of Time album, which I believe is the original track just slightly revamped with a little extra instrumentation and adlibs etc to bring it up to date. 

The tracks recorded for the One Nation album for example, the majority of them are quite bare bones and are almost like freestyle sessions, which maybe 2Pac intended them to be that way at the time, and I'm sure he and his producers would have fleshed them out further had he been able to finish the project, but they would now need a lot of work before being officially released.  And that would involve getting a production team together again, ideally those originally involved with the tracks, to finish them off.  Just a lot of work all round.

- Snoop Dogg owns the rights to some. I and a man named Suge Knight own the rest due to Afeni's passing and it being an asset that ended with her lifetime in regards to granting her all Death Row Records material. My vault expands from 1993 - 1996(7) as far as 2Pac and Original Versions go. Then from remixes from 1995 - 2008 as far as 2Pac remixes, unheards, and other alternate versions from Death Row Records, Tha Row Records, and Death Row Is Back Records.

- I have a lot of unheards from One Nation. Greg Nyce on the first verse, Buckshot on the second verse, Kadafi on the fourth, 1:22 is 2Pac. Richie Rich on this track on the original version.  (WA-PAC Era - Thug Life Death Row Pac Era - 94 Moe-Z era re-used vocals but sanctioned by Death Row Records and 2Pac to be remixed.) Then we have another more modern take for the One Nation version of this track with extra instrumentation and more bass.

"

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 05:50:02 AM »
Let me list some songs I know exist

Just some of the tracks I know for a fact....

2Pac ft. Paradise, Richie Rich, E-40 - Trials N Tribulations (Never Coming Out)
150 Dr. Dre Produced 2Pac Tracks
450 Daz/Moe-Z Produced 2Pac Songs
21 Unreleased 2 - 3 Verse songs from Suge's Vault
35 Songs With Hurt M Badd and 10 more incomplete ones with him
2Pac and Demetrius Shipp - Your Wish (Fuck It Y'all Take It One Way) (Take It One Way) (One Way Till I Die) There's an OG version of it with just drums then a re-done more All Eyez On Me version. Then you have the posthumous Suge Knight remix.
2Pac - Smile OG (Sarah Smile Sample Loop)
2Pac - Why My Soul Burn (Never Coming Out)
2Pac - Why My Soul Burn (Alternate Take Never Coming Out)
2Pac - Why (Never Coming Out)
2Pac - Grab The Mic (Starin Through My Rearview)
2Pac - Starin Through My Rearview Part 2
2Pac - Turn The Tables
2Pac - Mr. Informant (Rough Mix)
2Pac - Mr. Informant (Final Remaster)
2Pac ft. Tha Realest - If Makaveli was Alive
2Pac ft. and as Tha Realest - Can't C Me (Alternate Take)
2Pac ft. Tha Outlawz - Untouchable (Uncut Full Song)
2Pac ft. Shock G - It Ain't Necessarily So
2Pac ft. Digital Underground and DJ Dize - Grand Slam Fam
2Pac ft. DJ Dize - Carnie (You Ain't The Wackest)
2Pac ft. DJ Dize - 6 Tracks all in all 14 total.
2Pac ft. Tha Outlawz - Me N Tha Outlawz (7 Days) (Murder my family 'n me line)
Tha Realest ft. Prince Ital Joe - Respect (Unreleased Realest who is 2Pac with plastic surgery plus larynx surgery)
2Pac ft. Prince Ital Joe - Respect  (Murderous Enemies For Hire) (Two takes)
2Pac ft. Richie Rich - Married 2 The Mob (Never Coming Out)
2Pac ft. Big Syke -  Valley of Death (Murderous Men my tendencies on mob life - both as a first verse and third verse on this song - two different takes) (Same beat as Me N My Road Dogz)
2Pac - Then Walk This Way
2Pac featuring Compton Flame - Respect (Unreleased 2Pac vocals with a Compton Flame performance who was a rapper signed to Death Row Records then Blackballed Entertainment)
2Pac featuring Crooked I -  Respect (Murdered Him On My Dog line by Crooked I)
2Pac featuring Petey Pablo - Killa (2Pac Vocal Snippet) (Death Row Records track)
2Pac featuring Petey Pablo - Respect (2Pac Vocal Snippet) (Death Row Records track)

BONUS TRACKS:
Tha Outlawz - 7 Days I Rise

rivoli

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 07:16:15 AM »
Why are so many of those tracks not coming out?

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 07:29:12 AM »
Subject matter

shmosh

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:23 AM »

2Pac and Demetrius Shipp - Your Wish (Fuck It Y'all Take It One Way) (Take It One Way) (One Way Till I Die) There's an OG version of it with just drums then a re-done more All Eyez On Me version. Then you have the posthumous Suge Knight remix.
2Pac - Turn The Tables
Tha Realest ft. Prince Ital Joe - Respect (Unreleased Realest who is 2Pac with plastic surgery plus larynx surgery)
2Pac ft. Big Syke -  Valley of Death (Murderous Men my tendencies on mob life - both as a first verse and third verse on this song - two different takes) (Same beat as Me N My Road Dogz)
2Pac featuring Compton Flame - Respect (Unreleased 2Pac vocals with a Compton Flame performance who was a rapper signed to Death Row Records then Blackballed Entertainment)
2Pac featuring Petey Pablo - Killa (2Pac Vocal Snippet) (Death Row Records track)
2Pac featuring Petey Pablo - Respect (2Pac Vocal Snippet) (Death Row Records track)

BONUS TRACKS:

lol so much of this list is complete shite bar a couple of tracks which do exist

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 10:00:05 AM »

2Pac - Turn The Tables

BONUS TRACKS:

Really begging for attention now, huh?  3 or 4 posts in a row to try to illicit a reply.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 10:40:15 AM »
Really begging for attention now, huh?  3 or 4 posts in a row to try to illicit a reply.

I think he's drunk
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Tony Trey

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 06:33:59 AM »
I think he's drunk

I think he's a Russian hacker/scammer using ChatGPT to write fake shit to trick people into sending him money. I have no idea why he hasn't been banned yet.

The following users thanked this post: shmosh

Tony Trey

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 06:38:20 AM »

2pac has three half-sisters and three half-brothers and they're all still alive, so I'm assuming one of them took over managing Pac's estate when Afeni passed. A quick Google search says that one of his half-sisters, Set Shakur, was heavily involved in Pac's estate with Afeni, so I'm guessing she's probably in charge now.

hitsaw

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 07:09:14 AM »
They should release the original versions, box sets! Just like linkin park!

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2024, 08:24:33 AM »
I think he's drunk

Not drunk - I was in charge after Afeni died to find stolen masters of not just 2Pac but the entire music industry. Decided to release a few.

Death Row Knightmare

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2024, 09:58:42 AM »
2Pac ft. Suge Knight - Escape

Another unheard I'm confirming. Wonder what Bomb1st would make of these posts or Notorious Makaveli.