Author Topic: JASONMARTIN AKA PROBLEM & DJ QUIK - CHUPACABRA (Official Discussion)  (Read 9469 times)

Dwax-187

Re: JASONMARTIN AKA PROBLEM & DJ QUIK - CHUPACABRA (Official Discussion)
« Reply #120 on: June 14, 2024, 05:33:40 PM »
This is good!!!!!!!

Definitely… sounds more like a good compilation like others said than a full Quik album.  But you can hear his influence all over. 

8) either way. 

Great for the summer!

D-TalkX

« Reply #121 on: June 14, 2024, 09:38:45 PM »
Maybe this will grow on me but on first listen…not really any heaters on here…I used to find youd get a solid Quik album and then he’d have a few experimental tracks…This is as disappointing as Quiks’ set or lackthereof at the Snoop show on Wednesday. Hurt my heart, this doesn’t help🤦‍♂️

astra4322

« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2024, 12:33:08 AM »
After few spins it grew on me nevertheless I enjoyed new DPG more.

The following users thanked this post: D-TalkX

k1000

« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2024, 01:25:44 AM »

anyone else imagine Snoop rapping over Dern & Spruce? he's even referenced on the opening bars.

tune is similar to the beat Madlib gave to Kanye and Kendrick :
https://archive.org/download/the-life-of-pablo/No%20More%20Parties%20In%20LA.mp3

... and then gave it later to Freddie Gibbs :
https://archive.org/download/freddie-gibbs-and-madlib-cocaine-parties-in-l.a./Cocaine%20Parties%20In%20L.A/01-Cocaine%20Parties%20In%20L.A..mp3
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 01:19:23 PM by k1000 »

topdogg188

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2024, 04:09:01 AM »
On the 4th and 5th listen it seems to be growing on me but as others said not enough Quik or Problem rapping and a bit heavy on the features. So far for major releases RBX , Dogg Pound and then this for me

Mr. Sunshine

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2024, 09:39:41 AM »
I'm on track 7. Just good music so far

Dern & Spruce
the track reminds me, someone mentioned it, that's exactly my sound
I would downgrade Jay Worthy to a Berner level, sorry..The guy seems to have money
and what is actually the deal with Big Hit?It's great that his father is releasing it, no question about it, everyone who has a family, but for me they are albums like that, I skip through them, I don't quite understand it, hit-boy good producer but why

awesome album
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:49:40 AM by Mr. Sunshine »

Double_a2.0

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2024, 09:56:49 AM »
Maybe this will grow on me but on first listen…not really any heaters on here…I used to find youd get a solid Quik album and then he’d have a few experimental tracks…This is as disappointing as Quiks’ set or lackthereof at the Snoop show on Wednesday. Hurt my heart, this doesn’t help🤦‍♂️

I was at that show and was also disappointed with quiks set. But after listening to this twice I dig it

doggfather

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2024, 10:01:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

dnjp4life

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2024, 10:41:39 AM »

Listening to the album once through this really made me think that this is exactly like a beat that 2Pac would have used on All Eyez On Me, just has that mid-90s vibe to it. Weird feeling, doesn’t it use the same elements of the first Quik’s Groove?

Dwax-187

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2024, 02:15:16 PM »

Yea no doubt! I was explaining to my lil bro Dj Quik is a legend but then he came out on the show and did a discography of his beats and productions.  Really weird set…. My bros asked if he had a cash register on stage and just kept hitting sound fx and skipping songs.

That was a bizarre set… coulda promoted the album but didnt even mention it or anything  :grumpy:

Weird

D-TalkX

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2024, 07:19:17 PM »
Yea no doubt! I was explaining to my lil bro Dj Quik is a legend but then he came out on the show and did a discography of his beats and productions.  Really weird set…. My bros asked if he had a cash register on stage and just kept hitting sound fx and skipping songs.

That was a bizarre set… coulda promoted the album but didnt even mention it or anything  :grumpy:

Weird

So bizarre ha. Just DJ Quik on iPod.
It was cool when he did Let's Get Down which is one of my fav tracks. Tonite, Born & Raised in Compton, Hand In Hand...but ya something didn't seem right. He wasn't into it...Then he ended his set early. I assumed it was to give the shine back to DPG but maybe some other shit...

dnjp4life

« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2024, 03:42:11 AM »
Nice collection of sounds on here, like others have mentioned its like a compilation of sorts but I like the mixture of beats and approaches.  Something for everyone on here even if DJ Quik and Problem appear sparingly.

Some observations after a few listens:

- They went back in and tweaked 'Two-Hi (Waves)' but I think I prefer the version from the YouTube video, the mix is more conservative and better to my ears
- Suga Free's verse on this is savage, he sounds angry but in a good way, and the track he's featured on is one of the best on here,
- I think I heard Kokane briefly on 'Dern & Spruce'?
- The groove should have gone on a bit longer, it cuts off just as its getting extra funky and textbook DJ Quik
- The Chupacabra narration threw me off at first, it sounds like one of those annoying podcast adverts that come out of nowhere, but I guess it lends a little something to the album,
- Interesting to hear The Game rap slowly over a smooth soul sample and beat.

WCThang

« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2024, 06:34:23 PM »
Almost through my second listen..solid little project that definitely feels like a compilation. I wish there was a bit more upbeat productions... Too many beats that sound catered to Jay Worthy and Larry June type rappers.

Dern & Spruce and Cold Ass 2 step might be my two favorite joints. Suga Free verse amazing. I've always liked Eazy Call as well.

Whoever The Whoops are, they're pretty good!

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

Marco

« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2024, 07:00:37 PM »
I finally does it a proper listen in a proper soundsystem, and I have to say, this album is a banger! Not on same level as Rosecrans, but this shit is fire!!!! West is backin' on the map 8) 8)  :salute:
BudEBoy Recordz // www.budeboyrecordz.com // BudEBoy Recordz

The following users thanked this post: dnjp4life

The Predator

« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2024, 11:17:41 AM »
17. Clown Outro - I could hear the melody of 'Murder Dem Murderers' by Kam/Dr Dre in bits of this song, og sample -

(35-45 secs)

2. Dern Spruce - Fonky  8)